Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Post by Godzillian »

Goji wrote:
Godzillian wrote: So stand offish and uppity over a simple question.
I gave you a one word answer, and this translates to being "uppity"?
1. It's just depressing in tone. It's like a funeral. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. This movie just ignores the fact its part of the Godzilla series and shoe horns him in cause he has to be in it. This happens with other movies like megalon so it may just be a nitpicky thing to say about it.

2. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. Tokyo's destruction is just stuff getting blown up and then blown away. Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive. Gigan's rampage through tokyo was much better (and I mean Gigan in the film. Not all the ghidorah stock footage)
..What's up with all copying and pasting, and repeating of yourself?

And did you just seriously just say that GIGAN's stock-footage ridden rampage was *better* than MG and Titano's assault on Tokyo? Uh, okay, sure.
5. nice answer. Give me a reason why they are some of the best in the series.
Maybe because they're emotionally engaging? Unless you're heartless or 'allergic' to their acting style, you sympathize with all of the main characters; Katsura, Dr. Mafune, and Ichinose as the story progresses. A lot of the going-on's are kind of depressing (as is the ending), and seeing as that aspect really rubs you the wrong way, I probably shouldn't be too surprised that this all goes over your head.

Not every Godzilla film has to have a happy ending, nor do they all need to have Godzilla in it for 45 minutes.
What do you want me to say? I gave you the points on why I dont like it. I copy and pasted cause it was easier then retyping the same thing again.
I guess I'm heartless then. Katsura is just mechagodziila's glorified xbox controller. Mafune is just being an immature baby about being kicked out of the science world. The other guy just follows around katsura like a lost puppy.
>rubs me the wrong way
>implying I cant understand something cause i dont like it goes over my head
No I get it depressing movies can be good but not when they are just depressing to be depressing. Gojira is a good example of that. The ending isn't all that depressing they win and the guy loses the girl probably happier ending then gojira.
The tokyo destruction scene takes no real effort to do. It's all blowing stuff up. Plenty of other kaiju movies do the same thing better.Remember the knee high city scene? Gigan may use stock footage but its not sloppy enough to make that mistake.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

"Takes no real effort to do"? How would you know such a thing? Are you a closet genius on miniature photography and pyrotechnics and just not telling us?

Also, pointing out *one* SPX flaw in an otherwise brilliantly staged scene just proves your just nitpicking like crazy.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Goji wrote:Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

"Takes no real effort to do"? How would you know such a thing? Are you a closet genius on miniature photography and pyrotechnics and just not telling us?

Also, pointing out *one* SPX flaw in an otherwise brilliantly staged scene just proves your just nitpicking like crazy.
>hating a fictional character
I don't hate I just find them dull. Hating are fictional character really is pointless.
I don't have to be a genius to know that I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard. I could point out more but in the end we are just gonna go in back and forth endlessly so lets agree to disagree.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, that's fine, but you're in NO position to say that it's "easy to do". Period.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard.
Other then angels, making sure the blast is controlled, the yield and most of all you really only get one shot at this because if you goof its going to cost A LOT to rebuild the miniatures and secure the explosives.

OT: Yes, when I was little I thought the 70's film other then Mechagodzilla was to corny and "didnt look cool enough". Yes, I was one of those. Looking back on them 2 years ago to know, especially after joining TK and really understanding the films more I have a better grasp and knowledge of the plot, character development and atmosphere. When I was 4-12 I only cared about the cool effects and monsters fighting. I know with age and the help of TK, can watch a movie and appreciate the effort and the world of the movie itself other then just enjoying the monster battles.

Jon
GPN Volunteer

Post by Jon »

Godzillian wrote:Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive.
This remark has had me laughing for days.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I used to think the that 70s films were geared for kids and not very violent but as it turns out most of the 70s films are the most violent in the entire franchise.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I used to think the that 70s films were geared for kids and not very violent but as it turns out most of the 70s films are the most violent in the entire franchise.
The 70's films are certainly odd. The monster action was geared towards the kids, but you have to assume the darker tone of those films were aimed to please the adults? Seemed like everything was darker & serious back then.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

Post by Grievous »

Honestly...when I first saw them I thought they were campy & corny as hell...
but over time I have come to adore them for their campy weirdness & overall
"fun" vibes.

vs. Hedorah, vs. Megalon & vs. MechaGodzilla being 3 of my all time favorites.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The only film from the 70s that I changed my mind on was Godzilla Vs. Gigan which actually got worse over time. As a kid, it was one of my absolute favorites, but as I got older, a lot of the sins became a lot more obvious and it became harder to forgive.

Other than that, my thoughts on each entry pretty much stayed the same. I LOVE Godzilla Vs. Hedorah, always have. Godzilla Vs. Megalon was always one of my least favorites and still is, though I guess I've softened towards it because I used to hate Jet Jaguar as a kid, but now I love him for how silly he is. And I loved both Mechagodzilla movies, and still do. Actually, Terror of Mechagodzilla is one I've gained more appreciation for, especially after seeing the full version without the senseless edits.

And as a whole, through the good and the bad, I always loved having Godzilla as a superhero/good guy. He's just so much fun to root for.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GojiDog wrote:And as a whole, through the good and the bad, I always loved having Godzilla as a superhero/good guy. He's just so much fun to root for.
Hear Hear!

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

DELETE POST
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I had a pretty big change of heart regarding Godzilla vs. Hedorah. As a young teen, I just thought it was one of the stupidest, most poorly made entries in the whole series. This was, of course, based on the panned and scanned VHS release of the AIP dub. When I was around 16, I got to see a 35mm screening of the international dub, and while that dialogue track was a bit lifeless, actually getting the entire image, and seeing how good it all looked, helped the movie a lot.

Then, as a I got a little older, my tastes just continued to expand, and my sensibilities continued to shift, until it eventually became one of my very favorites.

Terror of Mechagodzilla was another one where I developed more of an appreciation over time. Again, originally I was just familiar with the old VHS release of the god-awful TV edit. I saw it on the big screen as part of the same event as the Hedorah screening I mentioned above - only with ToMG it was a subbed print! - and that really helped me appreciate it more. And, over time, I developed more of an appreciation for somber and depressing stories.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I think there is somewhat of an arc many G-fans undergo in relation to these films. When you're a little kid, you're still just scrambling for any Godzilla you can get your hands on, and (at least when I was little) these were some of the most available on VHS at Blockbuster and the like. So I loved them as much as I loved any Godzilla film.

Then you get older and start to develop 'taste', and you poo poo the 70s films as silly, made for kids, or just not feeling 'dark and badass' enough for you, ignoring of course everything that is silly about every other Godzilla film.

Then you get older again and come full circle, appreciating that while, yes these movies are certainly silly and made for kids, they have their own charm and appeal all their own.

That said, never once did I lose my love for Terror of Mechagodzilla. That movie is just great.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cultural standards are much different. They’re children’s movies simply because they were produced for and released in film festivals for children. The violence, language, and even nudity aren’t viewed the same way they are here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzillian wrote:
Goji wrote:Lol..You're hate for these characters is amusing, I'll give you that.

>hating a fictional character
I don't hate I just find them dull. Hating are fictional character really is pointless.
I don't have to be a genius to know that I'm just going on what I've read about other movies that have used similar effects and even the effects of other Godzilla films to know blowing up a miniature isn't all that hard. I could point out more but in the end we are just gonna go in back and forth endlessly so lets agree to disagree.
Compared to pretty much every other human aspect of Godzilla films at the time, it was ahead of the game.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Freebleeper wrote:I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.
Actually, Toho tried to appeal more to adults again with the MechaGodzilla films, according to the book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series by David Kalat.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:I just DON'T get how the 1970's films besides Godzilla vs. Megalon (even though they are some crazy stuff in their too like the cult like citizens of Seatopia) are GEARED towards children... their pretty disturbing, bloody and gory. Don't denied it because their are just watch them again and you'll see. Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the MechaGodzilla films (especially Terror since that was Ishiro Honda's final directional film) Godzilla vs. Megalon has a place in my heart from my nostalgic child in me and Godzilla vs. Gigan can be my least favorite but it has it's moments. To me Final Wars is really over the top and corny at times as it my least favorite Toho produced Godzilla film.
Actually, Toho tried to appeal more to adults again with the MechaGodzilla films, according to the book, A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series by David Kalat.
I knew that but most people always keep saying that ALL the films from that decade where geared towards children... did they forget about All Monster Attack a.k.a. Godzilla's Revenge which was released in 1969 and released in 1970 here in the states.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I wouldn't say "all the 70's" movies are geared towards children. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is definitely not. Though it's tricky; it's subject matter is so dark and bleak, people literally dying in the streets ON CAMERA, ghosts of ancestors looking on the living....but the tone is so not bleak. Which is what makes Hedorah such an interesting film, I think. The tone doesn't necessarily match the subject matter.

I'd consider Godzilla vs. Gigan middle ground; it's not really a children's movie, but it's more child accessible. Yeah it's got some blood but I mean. So? It's so bright and fake, who cares? If blood is what bothers you in a movie about monsters setting a city block on fire, then, there might need to be some consideration of priorities.

Megalon is definitely for children.

Mechagodzilla and Terror I don't consider children movies, either. So. I think people just make the generalization that the 70's were a bit more lighthearted than the more serious tone of the Heisei era, and the (attempt) at being semi-grounded in the 60's. That's just my assumption.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.