Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Post by Stevo_1985 »

So I watches TOMG last night. Dont understand where people are coming off shooting down the sfx. Really is it that much of a fallback from any previous films? Nitpicky people, I thought they looked good. My only issue, and its a tiny one, is Hirata portraying Mafune, being he just played Miyajima in GvsMg, in what is supposed to be a direct sequal to that.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Stevo_1985 wrote:So I watches TOMG last night. Dont understand where people are coming off shooting down the sfx. Really is it that much of a fallback from any previous films? Nitpicky people, I thought they looked good. My only issue, and its a tiny one, is Hirata portraying Mafune, being he just played Miyajima in GvsMg, in what is supposed to be a direct sequal to that.
Well if we are going to go down that road we will be here for a while, Toho was always prone to doing that, kenji Sahara and Akira takarada was in movies back to back of their prior preformemces, look at MvsG's cast

Akira Takarada as Ichiro Sakai
Yuriko Hoshi as Junko Nakanishi
Hiroshi Koizumi as Professor Miura
Yu Fujiki as Nakamura
The Peanuts, Emi and Yumi Ito, as the Shobijin
Yoshifumi Tajima as Kumayama
Kenji Sahara as Jiro Torahata
Jun Tazaki as Murata, Chief Editor

Now check out GTTHM

Yosuke Natsuki as Detective Shindo
Yuriko Hoshi as Naoko Shindo
Hiroshi Koizumi as Professor Murai
Akiko Wakabayashi as Princess Selina Salno of Selgina
Takashi Shimura as Dr. Tsukamoto
Hisaya Ito as Malness, Chief Assassin
Akihiko Hirata as Chief Detective Okita
Kenji Sahara as Kanamaki, Naoko's Editor

Now Sahara and Hoshi had played different characters in the previous film which GTTHM is definitely a sequel to, the next year monster zero came out and we see takarada again, this time as an astronaut, after that he was a robber, I'm not being mean I'm just pointing out facts is all :D
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

LiquidG wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:So I watches TOMG last night. Dont understand where people are coming off shooting down the sfx. Really is it that much of a fallback from any previous films? Nitpicky people, I thought they looked good. My only issue, and its a tiny one, is Hirata portraying Mafune, being he just played Miyajima in GvsMg, in what is supposed to be a direct sequal to that.
Well if we are going to go down that road we will be here for a while, Toho was always prone to doing that, kenji Sahara and Akira takarada was in movies back to back of their prior preformemces, look at MvsG's cast

Akira Takarada as Ichiro Sakai
Yuriko Hoshi as Junko Nakanishi
Hiroshi Koizumi as Professor Miura
Yu Fujiki as Nakamura
The Peanuts, Emi and Yumi Ito, as the Shobijin
Yoshifumi Tajima as Kumayama
Kenji Sahara as Jiro Torahata
Jun Tazaki as Murata, Chief Editor

Now check out GTTHM

Yosuke Natsuki as Detective Shindo
Yuriko Hoshi as Naoko Shindo
Hiroshi Koizumi as Professor Murai
Akiko Wakabayashi as Princess Selina Salno of Selgina
Takashi Shimura as Dr. Tsukamoto
Hisaya Ito as Malness, Chief Assassin
Akihiko Hirata as Chief Detective Okita
Kenji Sahara as Kanamaki, Naoko's Editor

Now Sahara and Hoshi had played different characters in the previous film which GTTHM is definitely a sequel to, the next year monster zero came out and we see takarada again, this time as an astronaut, after that he was a robber, I'm not being mean I'm just pointing out facts is all :D
No I know that. It really doesnt bother me because i enjoy these actors. It does bother me in this film though. I dunno, as far se sequals go I dont think any film in the series really shows a true continuance like GvsMg and TOMG. Same foe, same aliens, same motive.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is entertaining as hell. It is one of my favorite Showa movies by far.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is more entertaining that i remember and has a good story overall, back then i just cared about the monster scenes but now the whole experience is great.

Haven't seen MEGALON, GIGAN in awhile but i think both are ok.

HEDORAH is still one weird movie, i would gladly rewatch that later on.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

I watched a lot of the '70s films when I was little. So, as well as a feeling of nostalgia, I honestly think they're some pretty solid films, Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla being the best out of them.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla3000 wrote:Could you explain why you feel that way about ToM? I personally like it.
Well this is all my opinion but I will explain.
1: The plot is IMO very dull. It focused more on the biologist and Katsura (not 100% sure on the spelling) along with the doc and titanosaurus then Godzilla.
2: The final attack on Tokyo with Titanosaurus and Mechag is just an explosion fest. It doesn't really look cool or exciting its just stuff being blown up then blown away.
3: The effects are not as good as it should be but this was a time when Toho was cutting the budgets lower and lower for each kaiju film so that could be a budget issue
4: Godzilla isn't really in it that much.
5: The final fight is cool but overrated. Titano vs Godzilla was cool but mechag just kinda stood around watching.
6: Most of the characters were pretty boring. The doc and his daughters relationship was cool thugh.
this is just IMO so feel free to disagree
1. Could you elaborate on what's so "dull" about it? If you've ever seen a Godzilla movie before this, then you'd know that not many of them "focus on Godzilla" that much at all.

2. "Doesn't look cool or exciting"? Were we even watching the same movie?

3. Yet out of all the '70s films, this has some of the best effects work (overall). Frankly, all Godzilla films have SPX sequences that simply don't work.

4. Who cares? When he is, it's awesome. While people's mileage will vary, what happens in between his screen time is engaging enough that it doesn't matter. It's not like the leads were bad actors.

5. Your complaints about MG are justified, but it's "overrated" according to who, exactly? The final showdown isn't something I really see praised all that often at all, actually.

6. Nope. They're some of the best characters in the entire series.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla isn't in Final Wars very much, yet it's counted as a legitimate criticism.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Is there a list of how much screen time Godzilla gets in all his movies laying around someplace?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillian wrote:Is there a list of how much screen time Godzilla gets in all his movies laying around someplace?
No.

So I guess you're not going to address anything you said earlier?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Goji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Is there a list of how much screen time Godzilla gets in all his movies laying around someplace?
No.

So I guess you're not going to address anything you said earlier?
So stand offish and uppity over a simple question.

1. It's just depressing in tone. It's like a funeral. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. This movie just ignores the fact its part of the Godzilla series and shoe horns him in cause he has to be in it. This happens with other movies like megalon so it may just be a nitpicky thing to say about it.

2. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. Tokyo's destruction is just stuff getting blown up and then blown away. Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive. Gigan's rampage through tokyo was much better (and I mean Gigan in the film. Not all the ghidorah stock footage)

3. I'd say it's effects are better then megalon but weaker then the other 70's movies. What you say is true though that ever G film has awkward effects in it so TOM has some wiggle room.

4. I've seen a few people say its one of the best around this site and others so I just assumed that was the general opinion of the fan base on the final battle.

5. nice answer. Give me a reason why they are some of the best in the series.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

In regards to the Godzilla screen time argument. Godzilla doesn't need to have a ton of screen time. There's a difference between screen time and importance to the plot. As long as Godzilla is important to the story of the movie, the screen time shouldn't matter too much.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote: 1. It's just depressing in tone. It's like a funeral.
It sure is! That's a huge part of what I love about it!
The plot moves very slow...
As far, far, far more movies' plots should! :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla3000 wrote:In regards to the Godzilla screen time argument. Godzilla doesn't need to have a ton of screen time. There's a difference between screen time and importance to the plot. As long as Godzilla is important to the story of the movie, the screen time shouldn't matter too much.
Exactly. It doesn't matter how much screen time Godzilla gets. What matters most is how well he is utilized in the story.

In ToMG, all he had to do was hold off the evil monsters while the interpol agents took care of the main villains. He didn't get 90% of the film's screen time, but he still played his role exactly as he was meant to.
The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff.
What? Plenty of things happen outside of Titanosaurus's scenes. There's the investigation plot, the alien invaders' evil scheme, Doctor Mafune's dilemma, and the intricate relationships between the characters.

The slow pace works for a film like ToMG because it helps to explore and develop these various plot points.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Dust_pan wrote:
Godzilla3000 wrote:In regards to the Godzilla screen time argument. Godzilla doesn't need to have a ton of screen time. There's a difference between screen time and importance to the plot. As long as Godzilla is important to the story of the movie, the screen time shouldn't matter too much.
Exactly. It doesn't matter how much screen time Godzilla gets. What matters most is how well he is utilized in the story.

In ToMG, all he had to do was hold off the evil monsters while the interpol agents took care of the main villains. He didn't get 90% of the film's screen time, but he still played his role exactly as he was meant to.
The plot moves very slow...
If the plot was actually bad or boring, then that would be a problem.
Exactly, and even with his short amount of screen time TOMG is arguably one of his most iconic and most badass appearances on film, his entrance alone is one of the greatest moments in the entire franchise
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

20th Century Boy
Futurian

The TOMG portrayal of Godzilla is one of my favorites. It establishes him as a hero, but without the anthropomorphized characteristics. His relationship with humanity is ambiguous, as you only see him save two children on purpose and nothing more.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm always interested in who thinks the kids lived and who thinks they died. The movie, whether intentionally or through carelessness, makes it a little bit unclear. We see his foot under them, but the compositing of the shot is awkward, and it's not clear whether or not Titanosaurus's foot is supposed to be making contact with the ground, or simply about to do so, as the shot ends. Equally strange to me, some people say that the re-editing in the American cut makes it look like they lived when originally they died, and others say that it makes it look like they died when originally they lived.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

^They definitely died.

Anyway, my thoughts have never changed about the 70's films. I've always loved Godzilla vs. Hedorah. It's crazy in that awesome 70's way also the fight scenes are pretty great. I've always loved the theme song. Besides the stock footage and Godzilla and Anguirus talking, Godzilla vs. Gigan is a pretty good film. I love the creepyness of Gigan in this one. I honestly can't remember much of Godzilla vs. Megalon because the last time I watched it was when I was 7 years old, but from what I can remember it was a pretty fun film, except Gigan wasn't as badass in it. Same thing goes for Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla. Terror of MechaGodzilla has always been one of my favorite (if not, my favorite) of the Showa films. It has a solid human story, and great monster scenes. Godzilla was a complete badass in this film (but when isn't he? ;)). Titanosaurus was fucking awesome and MechaGodzilla looked even more sinister. Also, the music was great. It has my second favorite score of all the Godzilla films (the first being Godzilla vs. Destroyah).

All in all, I love the 70's films.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

20th Century Boy
Futurian

It never even crossed my mind that the two kids died. Sure, the timing and special effect made it seem so, but I always assumed that was just an instance of bad special effects/continuity. After all, Godzilla shows up heroically in the next shot, so it didn't match the tone of a shot in which two children were killed.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillian wrote: So stand offish and uppity over a simple question.
I gave you a one word answer, and this translates to being "uppity"?
1. It's just depressing in tone. It's like a funeral. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. This movie just ignores the fact its part of the Godzilla series and shoe horns him in cause he has to be in it. This happens with other movies like megalon so it may just be a nitpicky thing to say about it.

2. The plot moves very slow and nothing really happens except for a few scenes of Titanosaurs doing stuff. There are some good scenes between the human cast but most of theirs are dull up until Godzilla shows up then they start to get better. Tokyo's destruction is just stuff getting blown up and then blown away. Blowing up a whole city block isn't that impressive. Gigan's rampage through tokyo was much better (and I mean Gigan in the film. Not all the ghidorah stock footage)
..What's up with all copying and pasting, and repeating of yourself?

And did you just seriously just say that GIGAN's stock-footage ridden rampage was *better* than MG and Titano's assault on Tokyo? Uh, okay, sure.
5. nice answer. Give me a reason why they are some of the best in the series.
Maybe because they're emotionally engaging? Unless you're heartless or 'allergic' to their acting style, you sympathize with all of the main characters; Katsura, Dr. Mafune, and Ichinose as the story progresses. A lot of the going-on's are kind of depressing (as is the ending), and seeing as that aspect really rubs you the wrong way, I probably shouldn't be too surprised that this all goes over your head.

Not every Godzilla film has to have a happy ending, nor do they all need to have Godzilla in it for 45 minutes.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

20th Century Boy wrote:It never even crossed my mind that the two kids died. Sure, the timing and special effect made it seem so, but I always assumed that was just an instance of bad special effects/continuity. After all, Godzilla shows up heroically in the next shot, so it didn't match the tone of a shot in which two children were killed.
I think they died. Yeah, Godzilla shows up right then, but the introduction, cool as it is, is so long compared to how short a time it would take Titanosaurus' foot to drop, I just can't read it any other way.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)