Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Post by SpaceG92 »

Someone most likely imported a GU monster into STA via rom. Anyone else notice the she sounds like Baragon in a few shots, most likely replaced Baragon with Biollante. Still interesting to see what people can do in these games though :D

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I don't think that's her GU model... Her GU model has 6 vines, not 8! Also, the texturing on her belly is very~ different in the video than it is on the in-game GU model.
Those videos are great. Too bad it's for PS2/emulator, it'd be so cool to play her glitched self :D
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

It looks to me like someone got a hold of an old copy of the game - before it went to gold master.

To my eye, that looks like a 100% legit Biollante from G:StE. She has many unfinished & odd moves - I specifically see her do the "burrow" on her tentacles that was supposed to unlock her tentacle turrets.

It's still my belief that you cannot "hack" or "mod" a commercial copy of G:StE to play as Biollante. But she was partially playable (like you see here, with a limited move set) for a couple months. Anyone at Pipeworks or Atari could have saved a copy of that version. These might also be old videos, just now being shown off.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Her throwing attacks look sick! Slamming monsters on the ground repeatedly, using her vines to punch them while midair... She's so brutal. Simon, would you happen to remember what her stats (weaknesses, resistances, Weapons, Speed, etc.) are? It looks like she resists Blunt and Radioactivity... I'm going to guess she'd have the same stats as her GU counterpart?
http://tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_unle ... lante.html
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

GigaBowserG wrote:Her throwing attacks look sick! Slamming monsters on the ground repeatedly, using her vines to punch them while midair... She's so brutal. Simon, would you happen to remember what her stats (weaknesses, resistances, Weapons, Speed, etc.) are? It looks like she resists Blunt and Radioactivity... I'm going to guess she'd have the same stats as her GU counterpart?
http://tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_unle ... lante.html
That's a reasonable guess, though the elemental stats would probably have been rather different.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

The uploader claims to have restored the files ( somehow ).

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

GIGAN05 wrote:The uploader claims to have restored the files ( somehow ).
And it does look legit, so I can't totally discount that.

However, if somehow the Biollante data files still exist on the commercial PS2 disc, it would be fairly tricky to access them in a playable way. It would take quite a bit of work, and it would require a fairly clever person.

The person who posted these videos is presenting himself as a know-nothing. Not some elite hacker who's accomplished something everyone thought was impossible.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

DylanRocket uploaded another match with Biollante;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8V9g7hk6o8

God Dam her grapple attacks ... :freak:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

GIGAN05 wrote:DylanRocket uploaded another match with Biollante;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8V9g7hk6o8

God Dam her grapple attacks ... :freak:
Here's the same video, but sped up closer to GStE gameplay: http://youtu.be/mf-DKrzC4gM

Still love the grapples.
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Well, I discussed this with Dan White (CTO at Pipeworks, and the owner/lead programmer back at the time of StE)

Our best guess is that Biollante's data files were not removed on the PS2 version. Which means someone loading up the PS2 files on an emulator could load Biollante and play as her.

These files do NOT exist on the Xbox version, and she can NOT be accessed on a commercial PS2. But apparently it is possible via PS2 emulator.

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

Does anybody know where I can buy the Xbox version online for a reasonable price? Amazon's third party sellers are selling it for $40+.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

DesuGojiFan wrote:Does anybody know where I can buy the Xbox version online for a reasonable price? Amazon's third party sellers are selling it for $40+.
I bought my copy on Half.com for $20.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Rodanguirus
Ronin

Post by Rodanguirus »

I seem to recall lurking here before and seeing a STE thread where someone was really breaking down each kaiju's play style in depth. I'd really like to hear an "analysis" like that for each kaiju in the game. I don't know who it was or what thread it was in, but on the off-chance that person sees it, I really appreciated that insight.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Rodanguirus wrote:I seem to recall lurking here before and seeing a STE thread where someone was really breaking down each kaiju's play style in depth. I'd really like to hear an "analysis" like that for each kaiju in the game. I don't know who it was or what thread it was in, but on the off-chance that person sees it, I really appreciated that insight.

Goji would probably the one you're looking for.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Baragon98
Interpol Agent

Post by Baragon98 »

A thing that I always puzzled by: when Godzilla 90 grab on object and then throw it away, he sounded like Gigan
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Baragon98
Interpol Agent

Post by Baragon98 »

Chris55 wrote:
Baragon98 wrote:A thing that I always puzzled by: when Godzilla 90 grab on object and then throw it away, he sounded like Gigan
Oh yeah. Lots of audio issues in the game.
Yeah, and the crazy part of it, is when they did Godzilla Unleashed for ps2 (which is virtually identical to Godzilla STE) they didn't fixed it. I think they didn't know this, lol
Last edited by Baragon98 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Godzilla STE was a solid game for its time but there were always issues with the game that ruined it for me. It became one of those things where i would question whether the developers had actually knew anything about the source material. For example, I would cringe each time a monster would with no effort lift an entire building over its head and hurl it across the screen. Maybe they thought it was a fun feature to add but it just comes off as cheap and deminishes the integrity the game. Another thing I cant allow myself to look past is how monsters are able to recover by performing breakdances? Godzilla does a spinaroony for crying out low! And whats the fuk is with Jet Jaguar growing past his maximum size? Godzilla`s models looks choppy and dull and almost resembles a kids drawings while the rest of the monsters have decent renditions. The meaningless point system screen that blocks off the monsters during their time of celebration at the end of each battle, and the lack of a replay video as done in damm. And lastly the green force fields that block access to the vast space that is clearly available off in the distance. If this is the best we can get with a G fighter then I dont want to play anymore. I always wanted a survivor horror style Godzilla game that would be its own exclusive property and not some wacky adaptation of the Godzilla vs series.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Simon shared this image over at the Colossal Kaiju Combat forums. It depicts some of the GStE cast in a cel-shaded look, made by one of the artists on the team. It's pretty awesome:

(Note the Star Falcon O: )
/crawls back under rock

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Now that was a really cool picture! It seems likely that the Star Falcon would have been usable in one of the game's challenge missions.
Last edited by The Godzilla King on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.