GODZILLA- MILLENNIUM SERIES DVD Box Set from Madman

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Re: GODZILLA- MILLENNIUM SERIES DVD Box Set from Madman

Post by akanes_kiryu »

I've forever held off on it because I could never find confirmation which films had dubtitles or not. Sony's dubtitles really irritate me on their GMK and Tokyo S.O.S.
PSN: soilsongs

Sbrl
Ronin

Post by Sbrl »

I bought all 4 boxes as a quick way to complete the collection and as a way to save space:

http://s24.postimg.org/suo7p6u2d/DSCF7516.jpg

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Sbrl wrote:I bought all 4 boxes as a quick way to complete the collection and as a way to save space:

http://s24.postimg.org/suo7p6u2d/DSCF7516.jpg
Sigh it's so nice when a single company owns all the films in their country. The US will probably never have anything close to that.

Sbrl
Ronin

Post by Sbrl »

But these aren't the complete series, the four boxes have a total of 23 films.
It's missing Return & Biollante from the Heisei series plus 3 others from Showa.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

gigan72 wrote:
akanes_kiryu wrote:I've forever held off on it because I could never find confirmation which films had dubtitles or not. Sony's dubtitles really irritate me on their GMK and Tokyo S.O.S.
This isn't from Sony. This is from madman. But do correct me if i'm wrong.
Well, yeah, it's not the same company, but I know for a fact their SpaceGodzilla disc does have dubtitles on it, so I figured it was something worth figuring out beforehand.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Sbrl wrote:But these aren't the complete series, the four boxes have a total of 23 films.
It's missing Return & Biollante from the Heisei series plus 3 others from Showa.
Because Echo Bridge had the rights to Biollante and Return of Godzilla is a whole nother' bag of issues.

I, am thinking of getting the Madman releases I asked a few people quality wise how good they are but haven't got a response back yet (which is okay) but from what I heard Madman used Goodprints and has decent subs.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

akanes_kiryu wrote:
gigan72 wrote:
akanes_kiryu wrote:I've forever held off on it because I could never find confirmation which films had dubtitles or not. Sony's dubtitles really irritate me on their GMK and Tokyo S.O.S.
This isn't from Sony. This is from madman. But do correct me if i'm wrong.
Well, yeah, it's not the same company, but I know for a fact their SpaceGodzilla disc does have dubtitles on it, so I figured it was something worth figuring out beforehand.
The Madman discs of GMK and MEGAUIRUS apparently don't feature dubtitles, but the other films have the same subs/dubtitles from Sony's releases.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Ah, thanks. GMK would be nice to have without dubtitles, Megaguirus is fine either, was really hoping not to have to read Mechagodzilla over and over when they're clearly saying Kiryu during Tokyo S.O.S. Hm, decisions.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

SpaceG92 wrote:Because Echo Bridge had the rights to Biollante
Miramax owns North American rights to BIOLLANTE... Echo Bridge only handles DVD/Blu-ray releases for them.

Unless Miramax also owns rights for Australia/New Zealand (and I don't know if they do) they wouldn't have any impact on the Madman releases.
akanes_kiryu wrote:Ah, thanks. GMK would be nice to have without dubtitles, Megaguirus is fine either, was really hoping not to have to read Mechagodzilla over and over when they're clearly saying Kiryu during Tokyo S.O.S. Hm, decisions.
Kiryu is called 'Mechagodzilla' in Toho's subtitles for TOKYO SOS. Before the movie opened in Japan, Toho created a subbed print to screen at the Tokyo International Film Festival. After the festival that subbed print was then sent to Toho's LA office for screenings in America, and the Toho subtitles were identical to what was later used for the DVD release. So unless a distributor pays to do new subtitles (and they haven't yet) any official release will have 'Mechagodzilla' subs.
Last edited by kpa on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Major bummer. That's just... Why would you do that when the previous film and its subtitles get it exactly right?
Toho... sometimes you make me wonder.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

akanes_kiryu wrote:Major bummer. That's just... Why would you do that when the previous film and its subtitles get it exactly right?
Toho... sometimes you make me wonder.
Because the print was subtitled for the Tokyo International Film Festival and for screenings at festivals and industry trade shows. The audiences at these events aren't necessarily Godzilla fans -- the trade screenings are done to show movies to potential foreign buyers -- and there's a good chance they hadn't seen GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA and wouldn't have a clue what "Kiryu" means (there's no dialogue in TOKYO SOS explaining that since Japanese audiences would be familiar with the previous film). So rather than risk confusing the people they want to buy their movie, Toho simplified things by ditching the additional name for Mechagodzilla in the subtitles.

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

That does make sense from a business perspective. I'm not too bummed about it, as it was more a sticking point on whether or not I would buy the Madman set. I'll just stick with backing up and shoving corrected subtitles onto Sony's discs when I got hold of them again. ;)

obs
Yojimbo

Post by obs »

Subtitles are the best thing about this release, in my opinion.
Tokusatsu, above all else.

Mantrid99
Young Farmer

Post by Mantrid99 »

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I was considering purchasing Madman's Milliennium box set. Does anyone know if these feature the dubbed as well as the subbed versions of the films (as is the case for most of the G films in Madman's other box sets)? Thanks.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Mantrid99 wrote:Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I was considering purchasing Madman's Milliennium box set. Does anyone know if these feature the dubbed as well as the subbed versions of the films (as is the case for most of the G films in Madman's other box sets)? Thanks.
Read the article linked in the original post. It has all the specs.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Re-posted for relevance.
Rockzilla wrote:The picture quality on the Sony disks are better. The Madman set uses Toho's old R2 transfers with green push and windowboxing.
In short, you do not want this set.

If you're still not rocking a Blu-Ray player in 2018, then the Sony DVDs are your best option; and they're certainly a lot cheaper than they were when this thread was made, which was over 5 years ago. GMK and Megaguirus have the dubtitle issue, but the image quality is better.
Last edited by Goji on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Goji wrote:Re-posted for relevance.
Rockzilla wrote:The picture quality on the Sony disks are better. The Madman set uses Toho's old R2 transfers with green push and windowboxing.
In short, you do not want this set.

If you're still not rocking a Blu-Ray player in 2018, then the Sony DVDs are your best option; and they're certainly a lot cheaper than they were when this thread was made, which was over 5 years ago. GMK and Megaguirus have the dubtitle issue, but the image quality is better.
The Sony transfer of GvM also has the noticeable wiring issue on it. Doesn't the R2 transfer edit them out?

JetrellFo
Samurai

Post by JetrellFo »

o.supreme wrote:
smagal wrote:I really dont know why people buy Region 1 DVD players.
Most People who live in R1 (United States, Canada, Bermuda, U.S. territories) don't usually think about purchasing foreign films & TV shows, thus the reason that 99% of commercially available players in these areas are R1 only, and if they happen to be Region Free they certainly dont advertise it. But for those interested and educated, then YES a region-free player is relatively easy an inexpinsive to purchase online, but your highly unlikely to walk into a B&M store and get one.
If the U.S. actually started regularly selling region-free players we'd have a whole swatch of the population that would not know what to do with them and/or complain about them which is dumb as hell but there are some of us that "know" the value of them and appreciate them greatly.

:)