Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Arrow »

King Kong vs. Godzilla

Here's the third Godzilla film - the clash between the two of the most famous giant monster. worldwide.

I'll be honest: King Kong vs. Godzilla was never my favorite Godzilla movie. In fact, as a kid I even hated it (huge Godzilla fan, didn't want to accept that Godzilla lost, etc.). But now I can judge the movie more fairly. I will say that the Japanese version blows the American one out the water for all the reasons Sydney Aradi just stated. Ifukube's tracks fit the movie much better than the music used here and the story flows much better without the American actors.

Unfortunately, while I can say that KKvG might even be a good movie, I would probably enjoy it more if I knew what the satire/parody thing was supposed to be about. Still, the final battle... kicks ass.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #3: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

King Kong vs. Godzilla will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my first Godzilla film. As a kid, watching King Kong and Godzilla duke it out on the top of Mt. Fuji just blew my mind. I don't think very many things have topped it since then.

But, as an adult now, I think that KKvsG is a great entry into the Godzilla series, and was a great way to bring Godzilla back after being on hiatus since 1955. Though, the plot is a little far-fetched, and the characters can be annoying at times, they do add a level of comedy that really doesn't seem present in most other daikaiju films at the time. But, lets face it, the suits of both Godzilla and King Kong looks just plain awful, which really detracts from watching the fights these days.

So yeah, the film is still a ton of fun to watch these days, but its not nearly as good as some of the other Godzilla films out there.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

"King Kong vs. Godzilla" is probably the worst of the early entries, but it still holds up better than a lot of the seventies films, and it's got a pretty epic brawl going on with it. I do enjoy it, plus Godzilla 1962 is my favorite Showa Godzilla design.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Megalon2005
Yojimbo

Post by Megalon2005 »

Its a very fun movie, I love to see it from Kong's point of view: You are on your island, you battle a Giant Octopus and after victory you have your favourite juice, after that you take a nap.....but whats that, "why am I tied to some raft? Sea? Wait what? I can hear some people talking...Hey! whats with those bullets! Watch it! *BOOOOOM* WHOA HOLY SHIT I NEARLY DROWNED, NOW I'M PISSED....."

*later*

(scene on the Diet Building)
"Yay I have a cute girl now for some.....hmm? Whats this mist? *sniff* *sniff* smells like my favourite juice...zzzz...........Hmm WHAAAAA?! I'M FLYING?!..WTF MAN?! Who is there below....its that damn lizard that fried me! Aaaahh! Lets me go I don't want to fight him again!*Kong falls* Noooooo!!!!"

Poor Kong, I bet when he returned on Faro Island, he gave up drinking FOR GOOD.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

King Kong vs. Godzilla is a pretty fun movie. Unfortunately, I've only seen the U.S. version and I can already tell how badly Universal butchered it up (Replacing the majority of Ifukube's score, new scenes with American actors, etc.). It was also the first Godzilla movie I saw as a kid that had the Big G fighting another monster. At first I wasn't much of a fan of the '62 suit, but it's really grown on me for the past year. Overall, I think it's a fun popcorn movie although I'd really like to see the Japanese version someday. And the Kong suit is just bad, but I think everyone here can agree.

OptimusPrimevs.g
GPN Volunteer

Post by OptimusPrimevs.g »

I have only seen the U.S. version, but I remember I got the VHS version at a flea market sometime in 2006(?) and I was really excited to watch it. After I saw it, I was pleased. Godzilla acted like he didn't take the battle seriously (clapping his hands, not looking when Kong was konked out and he was slamming his tail on him). King Kong was just ugly looking and Godzilla was bloated. Laughed at the woman with the corny screams at the train scene. Overall, I liked it, a classic movie edited from a classic Japanese film.
Do you really think I'm that stupid?!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Meh. It will always have a place as the epic crossover of epic crossovers, but that's about it. It's definitely not the worst out there, but I can't really go as far to say that I really enjoy it. It's ok to watch every now and then. Kong's suit is super-fugly (at least not as much as KKE), but I dig something about the Goji suit. It's just really different.
bleep bloop

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Loved Kong... didn't care for marble sized brain Godzilla though.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I love this movie. No, it's not really a particularly good movie, but it's incredible fun. Not only is it actually pretty funny, but it has a awesome battle between two world-class movie monsters. What more could you ask for?

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

I'm not a big fan of this one personally. When I was younger, I hated the idea of King Kong winning against Godzilla because it just seemed so wrong. But they had to beef him up a load to even make him a match. My main problem with this movie is a lot of the music. Keep in mind that I've only seen the American edit and I still have yet to see the uncut Japanese version with Ifukube's original music. I found most of Ifukube's tracks from this movie on youtube and I thought the soundtrack was great! So I bet if I had the chance to watch this in it's uncut format, I would enjoy it much better.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Ifukube's Score is at its best here. I think this was a perfect film to introduce Godzilla in color. Not a fan of the suit that much, but it was a very fun. Truly a staple in Toho's history.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

For years, this was one of my least favorite Godzilla films. It was unappealing, badly scored, poorly acted and written and badly edited. Then I watched the Japanese version. Holy crap, the Japanese version is over a kabimillion times better. The acting is funny, the humor is slick, the music is outstanding and some of Ifukube's finest, the special effects are....a mixed bag but the good stuff is really good. I enjoyed this film a whole lot once I saw it in Japanese and I have since vowed never to watch the US abomination again. It's the only time I can think of where an Americanization almost destroyed a Godzilla film beyond repair.

Highly recommended.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:For years, this was one of my least favorite Godzilla films. It was unappealing, badly scored, poorly acted and written and badly edited. Then I watched the Japanese version. Holy crap, the Japanese version is over a kabimillion times better. The acting is funny, the humor is slick, the music is outstanding and some of Ifukube's finest, the special effects are....a mixed bag but the good stuff is really good. I enjoyed this film a whole lot once I saw it in Japanese and I have since vowed never to watch the US abomination again. It's the only time I can think of where an Americanization almost destroyed a Godzilla film beyond repair.
Neither Godzilla Raids Again nor King Kong vs. Godzilla will ever be my favorite Godzilla film, but watching the things in Japanese makes you feel as if you're watching the thing for the first time. It's awesome.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I have seen the American one and actually still love the film, it was a great battle and I have it on VHS so yay!
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

I wish they would make another american version and make it exactly like the japanese just Translated and dubbed
He'll Come... Gamera will come again

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

I still need to find the VHS or DVD on this on ebay whenever I get the chance and the other 2 to complete my Godzilla movies. I saw this from my uncle's who loves this film since it was his favorite. He had it on DVD and I watched it. Still it's one of the biggest debate over who won. To me I think both didn't win it ended in a tie since they're popular. I would love to see a remake of this when Big G comes back in 2014 back from his vacation. Really they need to make a remake of this movie that would be soooooo epic!! :D

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Wait he's making his comeback in 2014? I didnt know that toho confirmed that he was even coming back

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Well it is really a good thing to think because who knows if the new american godzilla film is crap we can believe we got something better to look forward to

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Yeah but thay could be already having one in the planning and they might decide to make it

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I am surprised to see how many don't or didn't like this film. This was easily one of my favorites an one of the first Godzilla films i ever saw if i can remember correctly.

Ill be honest ''I hate King Kong'' i see nothing appealing about a giant ape an find it ridiculous that it could even hold itself against a T-Rex much less Godzilla.

Well i actually loved King Kong's suit in this film, It's so bad that it makes it better for me to enjoy Kong. Godzilla looked Good much better then he would in the later films. The cast wasn't great but rarely are in a Godzilla film, The Story if you can except Kong being the size of Godzilla is alright. The first fight scene was good... the fight's with Godzilla an the Military were entertaining esp when Godzilla break's out of the ice-berg. What bring's me to the best part of the entire film is the final battle between King Kong an Godzilla.

Probably one of the Longest, Greatest battles in the Franchise. It's like watching WWE with Godzilla an Kong... Godzilla tripping Kong with his tail, Kong shoving a tree down Godzilla's throat an body slamming him. This is easily the perfect description of (It's so bad it's good) kind of film. Had they tried to make this film more serious it probably would have been terrible.

I like everyone else hated that Godzilla lost as the American one was the first i saw, But after watching the Japanese film an hearing both Godzilla an King Kong's Roar at the end shows Godzilla did not die but swam away i was very pleased. Good score as well... Easily one of the Godzilla films i can watch again an again.