Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Post by Dogbert »

I think it was kind of weird looking, but still a good suit for kong.

What do you think?
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Post by Rody »

I think the bodily proportions look better than those of the 1962 suit, but the face is not an improvement; it's too cartoony.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Superior to the 1962 suit by miles.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rody wrote:...the face is not an improvement; it's too cartoony.
I don't think this is a problem since the movie is basically a live action cartoon.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I heard somewhere they were going to use the 62 suit
They did: the costume used for Kong's fight with the sea serpent is one of the '62 suits with a new (bad) head. But I doubt that Tsuburaya would have wanted to reuse the previous costumes for the bulk of filming.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Am I the only one that prefers the 62' Kong suit to this one? Kong in 62' just looks fiercer to me, where as this one looks like it is based off a cartoon (which it is).
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaDude wrote:Am I the only one that prefers the 62' Kong suit to this one? Kong in 62' just looks fiercer to me, where as this one looks like it is based off a cartoon (which it is).
Nope, you're not the only one. While neither suit is perfect, the '62 suit looks more intimidating a little more alive to me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

eabaker wrote:Nope, you're not the only one. While neither suit is perfect, the '62 suit looks more intimidating a little more alive to me.
Exactly. When the 62' Kong was on screen, for example when he first breaks down the gate on the island to fight the giant octopus, I felt like he had a real raw power and force about him.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

CTHimes wrote: I don't think this is a problem since the movie is basically a live action cartoon.
True, but that doesn't mean Kong should look inappropriately comical. I think a more (dare I say it) realistic gorilla face would have been better, akin to the original Kong.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

As much as I like King Kong Escapes, the Kong suit looks awful. The 62 suit was better.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

The KKE Kong suit: Your thoughts

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I'm conflicted (or is it Kong-flicted? ;) ) about this one, because I feel that the suit fits with the cartoony nature of the film, but at times its almost worse than the 1962 Kong suit. It is, however, decidedly more ape-like than its predecessor. Pretty decent suit on a whole: Image

One thing for sure, is that the water suit is horrendous, the proportions are beyond terrible. they stuck a new head on one of the old 1962 suits, and the result is this monstrosity: Image

In any case, what are your thoughts? Its quite an entertaining movie, not sure how many G fans have seen it though
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Re: The KKE Kong suit: Your thoughts

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I prefer the KKvG suit as it sorta looked more animalistic and in some cases, scary looking. It had a lot of bad moments, but a lot of Showa suits did. I do think it fits the film it was in, though.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Awful suit. KKvG suit was way better.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

I ALREADY MADE A THREAD ABOUT THIS! :mad:
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

You can see the finger prints of Rankin & Bass all over it. At one point I thought Kong would start singing a Christmas carol.

That movie didn't feel like a Toho production.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

'Tis a silly thing.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Chris55 wrote:I read a few years back that the hardcore King Kong fans consider THIS and the KKvsG Kong suit to be the equivalent of GINO to them. They call this Kong "Kyoto Kong".

For this suit, I think they were going cartoony whereas the first Kong suit looked assy because of the budget constraints in even getting the rights to the character.
Actually, the rights to the character were already theirs for a short while. They still had the rights from King Kong vs. Godzilla. Since they hadn't expired yet, Toho thought it would be opportune to make another King Kong film while they still had the chance. That's what I heard, anyway.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

CLICK HERE! I ALREADY MADE THIS THREAD!

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=14200

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Chris55 wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:
Chris55 wrote:I read a few years back that the hardcore King Kong fans consider THIS and the KKvsG Kong suit to be the equivalent of GINO to them. They call this Kong "Kyoto Kong".

For this suit, I think they were going cartoony whereas the first Kong suit looked assy because of the budget constraints in even getting the rights to the character.
Actually, the rights to the character were already theirs for a short while. They still had the rights from King Kong vs. Godzilla. Since they hadn't expired yet, Toho thought it would be opportune to make another King Kong film while they still had the chance. That's what I heard, anyway.
i meant for KKvsG for the rights taking up a chunk of $
It did make a heck of a ton of money, though. Highest grossing Godzilla film, without inflation. I don't think they needed to cut budgets for other movies considering the fortune they made with KKvG.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Chris55 wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote: It did make a heck of a ton of money, though. Highest grossing Godzilla film, without inflation. I don't think they needed to cut budgets for other movies considering the fortune they made with KKvG.

Ok, we got the wires crossed here. I meant the King Kong suit IN pro-production FOR KKvsG looked like crap BECAUSE Toho had spent $$$ just to get the rights to King Kong.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry for the confusion! >_<