King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'm still scratching my head at why Toho didn't bring Serizawa back in GODZILLA VS. GIGAN.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gawdziller wrote:I find... Jackson's film obnoxious
Right?

"What if we took this classic, and instead of approaching it with any new ideas, we just made the emotional aspects less subtle and the action sequences EXTREME?!"

Jackson is a very talented filmmaker, but he generally lacks objectivity when working on his dream projects.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Why wasn't Katsura in Return of Godzilla? That really rustles my jammies.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

It still pisses me off how they didn't bring back Mr. Freeze in BATMAN BEGINS.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

I have a feeling I'm the only one on these boards to prefer the '76 version to the original and Peter Jackson's. Just love the modern approach they did to everything. I think it had the best version of the sacrificial scene. Love Baker's suit. LOVE the John Barry score, Jeff Bridges and of course, my first celebrity crush ever Jessica Lange (she won a golden globe for best new actress).

While the original is of course the better movie (and I'm of a fan of it, too) Never been fond of Jackson's version. Not against a 3 hour Kong movie, but all the elongated scenes or new scenes unique to his version didn't flesh out or move the story in anyway (why did they develop Jimmy and just drop him like that??). Also didn't like how he kept "one-upping" the original- 3 t-rexes instead of one. A bronto stampede instead of one attacking them, etc. I do love the his portrayal of the Skull Island natives, even if we never see them again after the sacrifice. I always wished Jackson would've simply combine his 90s Kong script with the one he ended up using. Did love the scene on frozen pond, which I noticed not many people cared for.

Also, the Kong in KKvsG was always meant to be a different one, never the '33 original. Always found it a shame John Beck didnt live up to his half of the production money which resulted in Tsuburaya making such a shabby suit (which I adore BTW).

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The '05 movie is a bloated mess. It's about an hour longer than it needs to be, the acting is bad, the dinosaurs are completely ridiculous, and Kong takes Anne ice skating in Central Park. It's a chore to watch.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:I have a feeling I'm the only one on these boards to prefer the '76 version to the original and Peter Jackson's. Just love the modern approach they did to everything. I think it had the best version of the sacrificial scene. Love Baker's suit. LOVE the John Barry score, Jeff Bridges and of course, my first celebrity crush ever Jessica Lange (she won a golden globe for best new actress).

While the original is of course the better movie (and I'm of a fan of it, too) Never been fond of Jackson's version. Not against a 3 hour Kong movie, but all the elongated scenes or new scenes unique to his version didn't flesh out or move the story in anyway (why did they develop Jimmy and just drop him like that??). Also didn't like how he kept "one-upping" the original- 3 t-rexes instead of one. A bronto stampede instead of one attacking them, etc. I do love the his portrayal of the Skull Island natives, even if we never see them again after the sacrifice. I always wished Jackson would've simply combine his 90s Kong script with the one he ended up using. Did love the scene on frozen pond, which I noticed not many people cared for.
I always thought Peter Jackson's Kong was one of the best takes on Kong ever. The 33 version is better, but the 05 version comes in 2nd place.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

wrong atea of the forums to post this,this is for toho showa and not american original

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:Aside from the sound and visuals there's not a lot going for the original.
In places it makes some interesting meta-comments about the nature of film itself, most notably in the "Scream for your life!" scene.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

The 05 film comes in second to the original for me, but I just hated how dumb they made three evolved T-rexes (or V-rexes) act and how unstoppable they made Kong. Also Adrian Brody was a lifeless husk to me, and Jack Black as Carl Denam... Why? The chemistry between Ann and a 25-foot ape was a lot more believable than with her and Brody, but the action sequences were top-notch, the visuals rival cgi juggernauts like Avatar even when the movie is eight years old. Overall, while Jackson's Kong was pretty much a remake of the original that didn't introduce a lot of new things and rushed a few plot points, and had some questionable casting choices in my opinion... It still easily holds its number 2 spot on my list of best Kong... Well anything.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I actually kinda liked Jack Black as Carl Denham. Though it should be said that I haven't seen the original movie since I was a kid, so I don't know what he was replacing...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Godzilla165 wrote:The 05 film comes in second to the original for me, but I just hated how dumb they made three evolved T-rexes (or V-rexes) act and how unstoppable they made Kong. Also Adrian Brody was a lifeless husk to me, and Jack Black as Carl Denam... Why? The chemistry between Ann and a 25-foot ape was a lot more believable than with her and Brody, but the action sequences were top-notch, the visuals rival cgi juggernauts like Avatar even when the movie is eight years old. Overall, while Jackson's Kong was pretty much a remake of the original that didn't introduce a lot of new things and rushed a few plot points, and had some questionable casting choices in my opinion... It still easily holds its number 2 spot on my list of best Kong... Well anything.
Jack Black actually did a pretty decent job as Denham. I agree with you on the most part. It was a fun movie. But I agree with most people it should've been a tiny bit shorter.
Shadow Arena Records:

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Anyone Exited for kong live on stage? Its from the people who made dragons live!
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

TyrantGojira wrote:Anyone Exited for kong live on stage? Its from the people who made dragons live!
There's going to be a Kong live? Really? That's GREAT!
Shadow Arena Records:

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Yes, kong is going to be a life sized robot. Run for your lives!! :)
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gzilla46 wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:Anyone Exited for kong live on stage? Its from the people who made dragons live!
There's going to be a Kong live? Really? That's GREAT!
Oh yeah! Because we all know how good the last "Monster on Broadway" show was!

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

gzilla46 wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:Wait, why did you quote and reply to yourself?
Are you not allowed to do that?
Of course you're not allowed, it makes you look crazy posting to yourself. I'm the crazy one here, bow down and spank me with bananas! SPANK ME!!!
Anyway... I like Kong, interesting story. But Kong is dead now, let us pay tribute... *Holds up lighter, but sets curtains on fire.*
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I've never been a fan of the original King Kong myself. I wholly respect its place in cinema but I much prefer the recent remake and Son of Kong myself. Don't get me wrong I own it on DVD and everything and even have the Movie Maniacs Kong.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mmmm... I think, critically speaking, Gojira is a better film than the original King Kong. King Kong's (the movie, not the ape) treatment of woman was a bit disheartening. Ann spent the whole film fainting, screaming, fainting, and barely contributing to the story other than being a plot device. All she does in the story is act as the love interest of Jack, and the reason they venture out into the island jungles and meet Kong in the first place. At least the 2005 Ann, you know, actually DID STUFF! And she didn't faint every five seconds, that's another plus. I know it was on;y 1933 and all, but it still makes me unhappy.

Emiko may have cried a LOT in Gojira, but at least she actually contributed to the plot. If it wasn't for her, Serizawa would have never used the Oxygen Destroyer on Godzilla. And she didn't faint every five seconds, so that's alway nice.

I also found the love story between 1933 Jack and Ann to be a bit... forced. One scene, he's acting like a total douch bag and claiming that he hates woman, the next, he's kissing Ann and risking his life for her! Just... what?

Not to say King Kong 1933 is a bad film. On the contrary! It's a great film! But I truly believe Gojira to be the better film. King Kong was, though and though, just an adventure story in the end. Gojira carried with it a powerful message. It wasn't just an ordinary monster film. It was a plea against nuclear testing.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Mr. Panucci wrote:There's only three real monsters, kid: Dracula, Blackula, and the Son of Kong!
:lol:

But seriously... I enjoy King Kong and recognize the significant contribution the original film made to the industry in many ways. Kong as a Monster ranks behind several of Toho,Tsuburaya, and Harryhousen creations as far as my personal preferrences go, however I still enjoy him enough to own all the films on DVD, Both Animated series etc...
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!