How do Ultra Kaiju compare to Toho Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
murasaki07
Yojimbo

How do Ultra Kaiju compare to Toho Kaiju?

Post by murasaki07 »

Okay, so I've been seeing a lot of talk about how the Ultra Kaiju are generally considered weaker than Toho kaiju. Which makes sense. I have watched quite a few episodes where Ultraman barely puts up a fight to defeat a monster or where the military seriously harms a monster with weaponry that would just bounce off a Toho kaiju. My question is how do some of the stronger Ultra Kaiju match up to the Toho creatures in your opinion? There are some stronger Ultra monsters like Zetton and Alien Empera. And then there are the Uber strong ones like Beryudora. There are also incredibly strong Ultramen like Zero. How to they compare to the likes of Godzilla and other Toho Kaiju?

gzilla46
Futurian

Re: How do Ultra Kaiju compare to Toho Kaiju?

Post by gzilla46 »

murasaki07 wrote:Okay, so I've been seeing a lot of talk about how the Ultra Kaiju are generally considered weaker than Toho kaiju. Which makes sense. I have watched quite a few episodes where Ultraman barely puts up a fight to defeat a monster or where the military seriously harms a monster with weaponry that would just bounce off a Toho kaiju. My question is how do some of the stronger Ultra Kaiju match up to the Toho creatures in your opinion? There are some stronger Ultra monsters like Zetton and Alien Empera. And then there are the Uber strong ones like Beryudora. There are also incredibly strong Ultramen like Zero. How to they compare to the likes of Godzilla and other Toho Kaiju?
What weapons does the army have in the Ultraman franchise that can possibly harm huge monsters?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

In the original Ultraman show, they actually do have pistols and rifles that can harm kaiju. Then again kaiju in this show are incredibly weak. I haven't seen the later Ultraman shows, so I can't comment on those.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The one Ultraman movie I saw had an army of monsters that were exploding by getting thrown into walls. Dunno how that even works, but whatever.

Of course, that might be a case of Final Wars syndrome, so the monsters are probably more durable in other shows. But I haven't seen those ones, so I can't comment on that.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I think in ultra galaxy most of the kaiju are on par with most toho kaiju, Gomora especailly. He could give godzilla hell of a fight.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Gyaos wrote:In the original Ultraman show, they actually do have pistols and rifles that can harm kaiju. Then again kaiju in this show are incredibly weak. I haven't seen the later Ultraman shows, so I can't comment on those.
I know. At least The American Godzilla couldn't be killed by mere pistols and rifles. Even Godzilla from 1998 could kick the Ultraman Kaiju's butts.
Shadow Arena Records:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

No, the American Godzilla would probably run away. If M16s and M4s where enough to scare it then the laser weapons the Science Patrol uses would give it a heart attack.
ImageImage

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Gyaos wrote:No, the American Godzilla would probably run away. If M16s and M4s where enough to scare it then the laser weapons the Science Patrol uses would give it a heart attack.
OK. What about American Godzilla Jr. He's braver. How would he do against them?
Shadow Arena Records:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

gzilla46 wrote:
Gyaos wrote:In the original Ultraman show, they actually do have pistols and rifles that can harm kaiju. Then again kaiju in this show are incredibly weak. I haven't seen the later Ultraman shows, so I can't comment on those.
I know. At least The American Godzilla couldn't be killed by mere pistols and rifles. Even Godzilla from 1998 could kick the Ultraman Kaiju's butts.
If GINO can be intimidated by helicopters, then I'm sure he could be intimidated by big bad monsters that are often violent as hell and come with their own projectile weapons.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Dust_pan wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:
If GINO can be intimidated by helicopters, then I'm sure he could be intimidated by big bad monsters that are often violent as hell and come with their own projectile weapons.
But his son would've kicked their asses. But, enough about Godzilla 98.

I was just using him as an example to show how pathetic the Ultraman Kaiju seem.
Shadow Arena Records:

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

They aren't pathetic, it's just that the various teams/organizations have better weapons compared to the JSDF in the Godzilla series.

Not to mention this would probably happen to Zilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iwYH9ZDnqQ

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Megalon-5 wrote:They aren't pathetic, it's just that the various teams/organizations have better weapons compared to the JSDF in the Godzilla series.

Goriest giant monster movie clip I've seen by far.
Shadow Arena Records:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think it's very hard to gauge strength between the two franchises. The technologies are different, for one thing. As mentioned, the defense teams in the Ultra series have their own special energy projectile guns and flying machines, which aren't very common in Godzilla; and as far as I know, we've never seen what these weapons can do to other materials (such as buildings).

Ultra warriors often defeat monsters with relative ease, but does that mean the monsters are weak, or the warriors are incredibly strong? I'd go with the latter, but it's hard to say. As Kaiju-King mentioned, it's that FW controversy.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:The one Ultraman movie I saw had an army of monsters that were exploding by getting thrown into walls. Dunno how that even works, but whatever.
Are you referring to Ultra Galaxy Legends? Keep in mind they crammed over FIFTY monsters into the second half of that movie. They had to finish the monsters off quickly.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Megalon-5 wrote:They aren't pathetic, it's just that the various teams/organizations have better weapons compared to the JSDF in the Godzilla series.

That was disgusting, I can't believe that's a kid's show! :shock:

I'm on the side that Ultra kaiju are generally weaker than Toho kaiju. It makes sense considering the purpose of the Science Patrol. Instead of always leaving it up to the military, the Science Patrol was formed for the purpose of dealing with everyday monsters all the time, with only occasional help from the military when the threat becomes too big. Also, it would be ridiculous for an uber-powerful monster to show up every week in Japan, even though the shows are already pretty ridiculous!

murasaki07
Yojimbo

Post by murasaki07 »

So for those who have seen the UG and Ultraman Zero movies how would you compare characters like Zero and Belial to Godzilla FW and other strong toho beasts?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

"Ridiculous" probably describes them best.

Although it was a lot of fun seeing Belial take on the entire Ultra Garrison single-handedly.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

murasaki07 wrote:So for those who have seen the UG and Ultraman Zero movies how would you compare characters like Zero and Belial to Godzilla FW and other strong toho beasts?
Belial took down over 100 Ultra's even Father and Mother of Ultra, Taro and others from what I read. I haven't seen the movie but ive seen some of the better parts. With the Giga Battle Nizer he would dominate FWGoji and maybe...control him, I don't know about the last part. To my knowledge though, heisei UA monsters well some were powerful but nothing compared to Belial level. Hell, I think Showa Tyrant will be a decent match for some of the stronger Kaiju but again I haven't really seen much.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

To my knowledge, Ultra Kaiju get better and better in each new show.
ImageImage

murasaki07
Yojimbo

Post by murasaki07 »

Gyaos wrote:To my knowledge, Ultra Kaiju get better and better in each new show.
It seems that way.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I know there's a version (Ultra Galaxy, I think?) of Red King that could beat the living shit out of most Toho kaiju. He could probably take most of the Showa kaiju at once, actually.

I'm pretty sure this video shows what he can do, though my internet is too slow to load it right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEXZmLfq6o0
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio