Why shouild Mechagodzilla be a good guy

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gojira012
Interpol Agent

Why shouild Mechagodzilla be a good guy

Post by gojira012 »

Why is Mechagodzilla always a hero these days when he was introduced as an instrument for Earth's Destruction

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Re: Why shouild Mechagodzilla be a good guy

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Because the 90s said so d:
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Why should anyone be a good guy?
For the bitches that's why.
But seriously, it fits him better in the later films. Can you see him as a bad guy in those films he was in? No, it would screw up everything.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I really wouldn't call him a "good guy" in the '93 film. That movie is pretty ambivalent about G-Force's morality, and has a distinct sympathy for "life... against artificial life."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

He's typically always being controlled anyway, so he's really not "good" nor "evil".

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^Although Kiryu basically still has some life/a soul left in him so I say he's the only "good" MechaGodzilla that actually knows what's going on, and is not being fully controlled. His pilots that go inside of him to fight are a part of him, a mutual relationship if you will meaning that they work with each other instead of one doing all of the work. Heisei MechaGodzilla is a complete machine though, and couldn't function at all without the work being done for him.

#BotM

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

Because he is very nice to women and get's friendzoned, he's a good guy but I have hope for him.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla was a hero in the 70s, so MG was treated as evil. Now Godzilla is back to being a threat, and so MG is turned into a weapon for good. In film, roles can change according to themes and perceptions, or because the particular director has a vision of what they want.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Complain all you want, the Heisei series was pretty good at re-imagining monsters in different roles, save Mothra who is more or less the same.

Godzilla, up until this point, was the ultimate adversary of humanity. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah even resorted to using one of the most threatening monsters in the Showa series to Earth's survival and displaying that Godzilla was a much larger threat in the new Heisei series, to the point he literally destroyed Japan by himself without interference. Going with that theme and how the series had been done prior, a human controlled Mechagodzilla facing off against Godzilla made sense...

The Millennium series was more about copying what worked before at that point in time.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:Complain all you want, the Heisei series was pretty good at re-imagining monsters in different roles, save Mothra who is more or less the same.
This is one of the major reasons that, despite its flaws, I remain very much a fan of the Heisei series (certainly in contrast to the Millennium series). The storytelling may have been clunky more often than not, but there were always new, bold ideas in the mix.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The Heisei series just had some of the uglier designs though.

Bunny Mothra, Stiff, Generic, beam-spamming Rodan, Soulless Mechagodzilla and a pokemon.
When it coems to both Rodan and Mechagodzilla, I vastly prefer their Heisei incarnations over the Millennium equivalents. Of course, my opinion on the matter probably isn't helped by - but, at the same time, certainly contributes in small part to - the fact that the Millennium versions of those monsters are associated with my three least-favorite films in the entire series.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote: At least Kiryu is visually appealing.

I'd take Terror Of Mechagodzilla any day though.
I find Kiryu pretty cheesy looking, and find the Heisei MG rather pretty.

But, really, I agree with you about the superiority of Terror of MG. I consider that far and away the best Mechagodzilla movie produced thus far (and even that doesn't quite make it into my top ten Godzilla movies ever).