What is your Favorite (Toho) Monster Introduction?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: What is your Favorite (Toho) Monster Introduction?

Post by The One and Only »

^I figured when Godzilla was attacking Hong Kong, the bars were letting out, and the buzzed drivers just didn't notice.

GODZILLA 1985-the first time we see the Big-G in all his glory in the flick. After two attacks, a partial view in the strike on the Soviet sub Godzilla makes his grand entrance when attacking a nuclear power plant. We see a marsh, several birds take flight, and then we hear a series of low growls. The fog begins to thicken, we hear footsteps, then the fog parts. We witness a nuclear power plant as the fog parts, and the footsteps continue. We realize our view of the plant is from a pretty great height. Cut to a security walking out of the plant to scope out what's going on. He freezes at the sound of the footsteps,he sees something that scares him, and the hapless security guard falls into a newly opened crevace created from the footfalls impact. We finally see what the poor, soon to be dead security guard sees. From his level up, with Rejiro Koroku's score playing, the camera pans up to the Monster King's head, just as he finishes off a roar. The guard stammers out, "Godzilla !", and from his point of view, we see Godzilla walk over him ,presumably making the poor guard one with the asphalt.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Biollante had another really good one. I like that we only got to see the tentacles at first, then later the hole in the wall indicating that something big had broken out of Shiragami's lab. Then later, Asuka suddenly interrupts a conversation to yell "The lake, doctor! Look at the lake!" Cut to a crowd of people standing beside the water, pointing, yelling, and taking pictures of something while the police try to keep them at a safe distance. The camera slowly pans out towards the lake, and we get our first look at this giant thing, horrifying and beautiful at the same time, looming in the distance. And then the music picks up, with a few awesome notes that serve to perfectly accompany the visual.

That was a nicely done scene. The whole movie was full of things like that; they really did a great job with the editing, camera work, and stuff. It all works together very well.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

My favorite has to be the skin melt and the rotating finger missles for mechagodzilla
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

I quite like when godzilla is charged with the nuclear subs energy and slowly wades towards land in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah taller and more powerful than ever.
84-95

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

One of my favorites is actually in FW. It starts with the Godzilla theme from King Kong vs. Godzilla with the old Toho Scope logo, and then showing some JSDF forces trashed in the barren landscape of the antarctic. Then it cuts to black, the "King of Monsters" theme kicks in, and you see Godzilla silhouetted against the dark blue skies in the middle of the snowstorm. Say what you will about Final Wars, but the opening intro for him (before being encased in the ice and disappearing for half the movie) was pretty well done.

Another one of my favorites is his reappearance in Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth, when he breaks out of Mt. Fuji. It's like the sequence in Biollante, but on a grander scale. It was also the last hoorah for the Bio/Ghido Goji suit. The dark red skies, the lighting crackling in the sky, and the lava geysers shooting up into the air in the background just make this sequence work, and setting it to Ifukube's classic theme just made it even more awesome.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gigan's awakening - Godzilla: Final Wars
Titanosaurus
MechaGodzilla 74
Godzilla emerging from the sand in Mothra vs Godzilla
Godzilla's first appearance in Son of Godzilla
Rodan in Final Wars

Best Godzilla entrence ever!
The One and Only wrote:GODZILLA 1985-the first time we see the Big-G in all his glory in the flick. After two attacks, a partial view in the strike on the Soviet sub Godzilla makes his grand entrance when attacking a nuclear power plant. We see a marsh, several birds take flight, and then we hear a series of low growls. The fog begins to thicken, we hear footsteps, then the fog parts. We witness a nuclear power plant as the fog parts, and the footsteps continue. We realize our view of the plant is from a pretty great height. Cut to a security walking out of the plant to scope out what's going on. He freezes at the sound of the footsteps,he sees something that scares him, and the hapless security guard falls into a newly opened crevace created from the footfalls impact. We finally see what the poor, soon to be dead security guard sees. From his level up, with Rejiro Koroku's score playing, the camera pans up to the Monster King's head, just as he finishes off a roar. The guard stammers out, "Godzilla !", and from his point of view, we see Godzilla walk over him ,presumably making the poor guard one with the asphalt.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

For me, my favorite introductions are:

- MechaGodzilla shedding off its disguise in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974)
- Godzilla coming ashore in Hokkaido in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- King Ghidorah materializing from the meteorite in Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster (1964)
- Adult Destoroyah's appearance amidst the flames in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
- Mothra's arrival to Tokyo in Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003)

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Probably Godzilla's entrance in Terror of Mechagodzilla

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

The uncontested champ is obviously this guy:

「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Connor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Connor »

The slow, pan upwards from a terrified security guard to Godzilla's face in TROG, accompanied by the ominous score.

In three words: "You are skreonked."