Making Kaiju Roars

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Making Kaiju Roars

Post by TyrantGojira »

We all know how Goji's roar was originally made, having a rubber glove rub against a stringed insturement. But how did the make the roard for other monsters like Anguirus, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. I would love to know how they made those.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Making Kaiju Roars

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Mothra was the roar of Anguirus sped up.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Mothra was the roar of Anguirus sped up.
Really? I never knew that.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I think Manda was a modified Lion roar (later used as a variant for Godzilla, the Black Moth and... *shock* a regular lion in a zoo in Zone Fighter).

In fact, if anyone wants to watch the Zone Fighter episode where they go to the zoo, a couple of the monster roars are used for the normal animals there (forgot which one was Minilla, I believe an ape) which could probably answer a few of the Showa ones.

The Heisei ones, that weren't modified Rodan roars, were a little bit more creative... I recall someone asking the technical staff how the Destoroyah roar was made, and they didn't even know.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

If only we had some sort of major reference source for this...

I wonder if we could convince SciFi Japan to do an overhaul on kaiju roars...?

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Rody wrote:If only we had some sort of major reference source for this...
If someone wants to do the leg work in figuring out some of these, be happy to do an article that mentions them all on the site.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I think Manda was a modified Lion roar (later used as a variant for Godzilla, the Black Moth and... *shock* a regular lion in a zoo in Zone Fighter).
I thought lion roars weren't recorded until the 90's. :eh: Anyways, I think I heard that Maguma's roar was made from a modified elephant call, and I can tell that Megalon's cry is a modified Varan roar.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Showa MG's roar was Godzilla's slowed down and modified to sound like an air nozzle.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

The only other ones I know is that Spacegodzilla is modified Gigan, Battra modified Rodan, Titanosaurus modified elephant.

Extra note: Both ultra kaiju Gomora and Red King Roar's are modified versions of Gaira.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Gyaos wrote:Showa MG's roar was Godzilla's slowed down and modified to sound like an air nozzle.
That's actually really cool. I could tell it sounded vaguely like Godzilla's roar...
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I thought lion roars weren't recorded until the 90's. :eh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9YMvWolF0

Baragon's original roar is really just Varan's roar, which itself is modified from Godzilla's. In DAM, the sound designer must have been confused by the Baragon/Gorosaurus mistake, so he gave Gorosaurus Baragon's roar as well. Megalon's roar is definitely based on Varan's as well.

The Biollante Rose's distinctive wail was previously used as a sound effect for the Jupiter Ghost in BYE-BYE JUPITER.

Also, neither Yamato no Orochi nor the dragon in PRINCESS FROM THE MOON seem to have roars of any kind.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Hey what about anguius's wail?

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

At the start of Maguma's roar I could hear a little bit of Rodan 1956 at the start of the roar
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Those are actually tiger growls. ;) I noticed that Varan's roar was used for a bunch of kaiju, including Baragon's and Gorosaurus', as has been mentioned. Also noticed that GMK Baragon has sounds like a snow leopard, and that Krystalak has some tiger sounds.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

In the original Rodan, I heard Rodan make a roar like Varan's, is that where Varan's roar came from?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Varan's roar was derived from Godzilla's.

If I remember correctly, though, Rodan's roar may have been created in a similar fashion to Godzilla's. Someone had posted a video/audio link in the last thread like this that suggested it.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The original Anguirus roar was made by modifying sounds from a saxophone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lygEnfOeMQ

Compare to the finished sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0sREfMQOE
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Are you sure that's a saxophone? Sounds more like a stringed instrument to me.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Kiryu2012 wrote: I thought lion roars weren't recorded until the 90's. :eh:
Just curious, but why do you think that?

OT: I really just know the basics of monster roars, nothing special; like Mothra's roar is just a sped up Angurius, etc.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

Gabara's roar was supposedly Justin bieber's masturbatory sounds couple with the cries of mating geese.