Lost project: GODZILLA 2 (heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
magnus9999
Ronin

Lost project: GODZILLA 2 (heisei)

Post by magnus9999 »

as would have been the story of this project godzilla 2? we know it was ambiantato in the future and above all that will come up against a super computer, surely it would have been like in the scene in Superman 3
against the super computer.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Lost project: GODZILLA 2 (heisei)

Post by cloverfan98 »

Sadly not much else is known about this idea (I think it sounds awesome) other than it would later be reused as the plot for Gundam.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

cloverfan98 wrote:Sadly not much else is known about this idea (I think it sounds awesome) other than it would later be reused as the plot for Gundam.
As far as we know it was largely what became Gunhed, which of course the entire Godzilla piece of the plot was written out. I think there were some other tweaks but that was pretty much it. I think this type of film would be the basis for a very cool Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla reboot as I wrote in the movie ideas thread.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

magnus9999
Ronin

Post by magnus9999 »

well I'm writing a story on this project in fact lost the story will be set in the future where peace reigns and Japan reached a very high level of technology, scientists built a super computer advanced years, the king of monsters wakes up in a long sleep under a marine volcano spend for years. this is a little idea on alternative history after the events of the film the return of godzilla.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

magnus9999 wrote:well I'm writing a story on this project in fact lost the story will be set in the future where peace reigns and Japan reached a very high level of technology, scientists built a super computer advanced years, the king of monsters wakes up in a long sleep under a marine volcano spend for years. this is a little idea on alternative history after the events of the film the return of godzilla.
Sounds sort of cool. Post it when it's finished! Not to be an ass, but I'd capitalize when writing the story.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I just noticed though, why the hell is this in the Millennium forum?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I just noticed though, why the hell is this in the Millennium forum?
Moved it, but to be honest this is the type of concept we should have gotten in the Millennium series. Really crazy concepts being explored, like Godzilla waking up in the way distant future... stuff that you couldn't have done with the restrictions of continuity in the Heisei series, as otherwise what's the point of rebooting the series every film just to connect it with the original Godzilla and have the King of the Monsters go through the same motions that he was in the 1990's?
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Totally. I just watched my brand new ''Biollante' ' DVD today, and I really wondered what if this idea had been used instead. I feel the need to check out ''Gunhead'', no matter how shitty it may be.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Totally. I just watched my brand new ''Biollante' ' DVD today, and I really wondered what if this idea had been used instead. I feel the need to check out ''Gunhead'', no matter how shitty it may be.
Gunhed has its fans, but I find it to be pretty dreadful... consider ye self warned.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Arbok wrote: Gunhed has its fans, but I find it to be pretty dreadful... consider ye self warned.
James Cameron claims to be a fan, but I find his films pretty overratted, sooooooo....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Arbok wrote: Gunhed has its fans, but I find it to be pretty dreadful... consider ye self warned.
James Cameron claims to be a fan, but I find his films pretty overratted, sooooooo....
Really, Cameron's films started going downhill right around the time Gunhed came out. Make of it what you will.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

His first film was a cheap fattier film called PIRANHA 2....that was just awful
Rest in Peace Victoria

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojirO wrote:His first film was a cheap fattier film called PIRANHA 2....that was just awful
Well, that was really under the control of Ovidio G. Assonitis. Following that, Cameron had real directorial control on his two good movies, Terminator and Aliens, only to spend the rest of his career proving that Terminto and Aliens were flukes and Assonitis was probably right not to let him make any decisions on Pirhana 2.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

^ Don't forget ''The Abyss'', though I've meet a few others who don't care for it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:^ Don't forget ''The Abyss'', though I've meet a few others who don't care for it.
Yeah, I don't like it. It has no narrative spine, and the characters don't interest me at all. However, it is much better than anything he's made since.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

True Lies was another good Arnold/Cameron film. A great action satire. They don't make movies like that anymore.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Awhile back, in an interview with Sean Connery, the gold standard to James Bond, before the Pierce Brosnon Bond flicks started up. He said that the producers of the Bond series should watch True Lies to use as a blueprint on how to do the Bond series for the nineties. It's an excellent action flick too boot, and with Cameron and Swchartzenegger at their best. The Abyss, the first time I got a chance to see that often derrided puppy, was the VHS release of the Director's Cut with the tidal wave sequence, and the Cold War turning hot subplot that ended up getting cut because Cameron himself admitted he felt a little insecure the audience wouldn't be able to sit still through the nearly three hour cut the flick would've been with those plot points. I'd recommend checking out the Director's Cut to The Abyss whenever you can.

Godzilla 2 or Godzilla Vs.The Machine as it's also known as would've been an interesting flick. Basically Godzilla taking on a malevolent A.I. and its devices in the future would've been an interesting change of pace. And looking at some of the stuff in the trailer(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8D76QVbxMc), the mechs to more specific. They would've made for some interestin onscreen battles.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Wait, is this the Godzilla vs. Gunhed film?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Wait, is this the Godzilla vs. Gunhed film?
What later became Gunhed, yep. :)
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

A really big BUMP here, but I've got a question:

Has anyone ever reached out to Jim Bannon, the original writer, and asked about this script? How his Godzilla 2 differed from what they ultimately released as Gunhed? This is one of those stories, like the unmade Godzilla vs. Ankyron concept that was also submitted to the same contest, that I've always wanted to get a little more detail on. :)