What kind of fan base do you consider this?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Godzilla or Giant Monsters?

Godzilla
21%
Giant monsters in general
79%

Total votes: 24

monster Z
Yojimbo

What kind of fan base do you consider this?

Post by monster Z »

I've seen Godzilla fans and then ive seen people who just like monster movies in general. So what would you classify this fan base as on TK?

Godzilla fans or Giant monster fans and why?

Its kinda interesting how Star Wars, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, Transformers, Marvel and DC seem to have their set fan base while this fan base seems to be all over and have no allegience really.

Godzilla has a set franchise. Giant monsters in general are really just a genre that falls into the Scifi/Horror category. Yet I see fans on here that dont seem to be franchise people.

So what do you say?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: What kind of fan base do you consider this?

Post by Tohosaurus »

Godzilla as being the favorite monster and franchise on here (obviously), but most people seem to have plenty of interest in other Toho, non-Toho, and non-Japanese monsters in general. Sooo I vote "Giant monsters in general" with the caveat that Godzilla would win any poll on favorites.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

monster Z
Yojimbo

Post by monster Z »

Tohosaurus wrote:Godzilla as being the favorite monster and franchise on here (obviously), but most people seem to have plenty of interest in other Toho, non-Toho, and non-Japanese monsters in general. Sooo I vote "Giant monsters in general" with the caveat that Godzilla would win any poll on favorites.
So does Godzilla even have a set fan base then? Or all the fans just fans because they like giant monsters?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

monster Z wrote: So does Godzilla even have a set fan base then? Or all the fans just fans because they like giant monsters?
I believe I've seen a post or two saying that they (the poster) just likes Godzilla, not really monsters all that much. But I suspect that's the minority on TK.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I'm going with Toho SciFi and monsters, plus Gamera. Most fans don't seem too interested in anything outside of that, like Ultraman and whatnot. As far as Japanese fantasy goes, at least.
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Godzilla was the first thing i latched onto so im a godzilla fan period first and foremost.

Now when it comes to other giant monster movies I mainly only like the old Japanese films really as those are actually good and entertaining.

Im the same way with Jurassic Park. Ill watch other dinosaur movies but im hardcore Jurassic Park fan

And same way with Marvel and DC. Ill watch some superhero movies but a prime fan of Marvel and DC and thats pretty much it.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not sure I buy the distinction being made here.

You've drawn comparisons to several other series, each of which fits into some sub-genre every bit as much as Godzilla does. Are you suggesting that Star Wars fans aren't fans of other space-based fantasy? That Star Trek fans aren't sic-fi fans in any more general sense? That Jurassic Park fans have no interest in other monster movies?

One can be very much a fan of the Godzilla franchise, while also being a fan of giant monster movies in a more general sense.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla and his franchise are the core of the genre and generally my favorite part of it, but I like the other stuff, too. I'd call myself a general giant monster fan.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

I think most of us will agree with what Tohosaurus posted. I, for one, do.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I'm a Godzilla fan, but Godzilla and the Toho canon is just one of my many interests regarding horror/monster films. I really enjoy the King Kong, Gamera and Ultraman series and films. I've been working my way into more Japanese toku as well with stuff like Kamen Rider, Super Robot Red Baron and Iron King.

zombieheadache
Ronin

Post by zombieheadache »

We are g-fans,while Godzilla is the king of monsters we love Gappa,Gamera,Guialla,Ghidora,Gorgo and Ganime as well.Pick up a copy of g-fan magazine there's a whole giant monster culture from toho to Ray Harryhausen to the big bug flix of the 50's.Although not as big as trekkies we still hold our own in the world of fandom.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I can't help that I'm a SUB HUMAN W A R C R I M I N A L

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

Giant monsters. Some may have a preference toward Godzilla, but seeing the number of monsters in the Godzilla franchise alone...giant monsters in general.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I am a war criminal

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Considering that most of us are also interested in Toho's mutant movies, and other Japanese creature features of various sorts, is this really more of a Japanese live action sci-fi/fantasy fandom, with godzilla as its most iconic component?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I suppose you could take it to that broader level. We tend to enjoy a number of related live-action Japanese series including, but not limited to, Godzilla, Ultraman, Zone Fighter, and Gamera. They're all parts of a greater whole. I'd say that many of us consider Godzilla the "Crown Jewel" of the Japanese Sci-fi and Fantasy empire.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

So, why is any kind of label required? Why can't we jsut be a bunch of people whose interests cross over in a variety of areas, most consistently in regards to Japanese sci-fi and fantasy movies and television?

Why does it have to be considered a "fandom" at all?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I guess the idea is having something in particular in common. Not all of us will enjoy other parts of the genre, and so, in order to be a "group," the criteria becomes more specific. But, then, if you get too specific (say, you just like one particular movie featuring Godzilla) does that also alienate you from the fandom? "Fandoms" really are strange human creations. Especially when you consider that a lot of people don't agree exactly on what constitutes a fan. I do agree that the way we label things is unnecessary, arbitrary even.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

I always figured people would enjoy what they enjoy and leave it at that...well, in a general way, I suppose.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?