Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by eabaker »

Watched it with the fiancee over the weekend, and she was, as I suspected she would be, largely unimpressed. She had a more favorable response to Godzilla vs. Gigan. Her tastes and mine line up pretty well (I like GvsMG more than she did, but it's still far from being one of my favorites). So much time is spent on characters we're never given a reason to care about, who are working to summon a monster who contributes nothing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

One of my first G movies, I probably rented this flick about 20 times before my mom bought it for me. After that, I probably watched that poor VHS until it caught on fire. Really love the characters in this one, the govt. agent is probably one of my top 10 all-time favorite humans in a G film. MechaG's design is just awesome, KC is a nice addition, Anguirus' appearance is great, and Godzilla is as awesome as ever. Definitely a top-5 Godzilla movie for me.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ That "government agent" would be Agent Nanbara of Interpol, played by Shin Kishida. He's a personal favorite of mine as well, and has been in a ton of other stuff from Toho, including VAMPIRE DOLL, LAKE OF DRACULA, and EVIL OF DRACULA. He can also be seen in LADY SNOWBLOOD (also from Toho) and Tsuburaya's THE RETURN OF ULTRAMAN series.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

My question is during the scene win Fake Godzilla attacks the city and the real Godzilla shows up, where did he come from because in all honosty it looks like he busted out of a building
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:My question is during the scene win Fake Godzilla attacks the city and the real Godzilla shows up, where did he come from because in all honosty it looks like he busted out of a building
Yeah, I've always found that so bizarre. How long was he hiding in there? How did he get in? Did somebody build it around him?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ LOL it's so funny, but true! The building wasn't even that big in the first place

Does anyone know where he came from?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

SPX director Teruyoshi Nakano has said that the building that Godzilla appears from is more or less right on (or next to) the water. So he apparently swam underneath it, and burst through through that way. Random? Yeah. Awesome? Definitely.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

DOESN'T COME ACROSS AT ALL

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

I agree, Lain Of The Wired. The music makes it dramatic, but not one of Godzilla's best entrances that's for sure.

And I know its for effect, but why would Mechagodzilla freak out from flashing light? He had just blown up some parts of the oil refinery and it made bright flashing explosions and wasn't afraid then. That should of been of the times the Alien Commander should have whipped his Remote Control Pilots for being incompetent, haha.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Goji wrote:SPX director Teruyoshi Nakano has said that the building that Godzilla appears from is more or less right on (or next to) the water. So he apparently swam underneath it, and burst through through that way. Random? Yeah. Awesome? Definitely.
That is fucking awesome.

This is one of the Showa movies I've been watching since I was around six. The monster scenes are fantastic.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Definitely a great entry in the series. One of me faves.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:I agree, Lain Of The Wired. The music makes it dramatic, but not one of Godzilla's best entrances that's for sure.

And I know its for effect, but why would Mechagodzilla freak out from flashing light? He had just blown up some parts of the oil refinery and it made bright flashing explosions and wasn't afraid then. That should of been of the times the Alien Commander should have whipped his Remote Control Pilots for being incompetent, haha.
No offense, but I think you put way too much thought into this kind of stuff.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:Do people enjoy movies anymore, or does everything have to be analyzed?
Well, analyzing them is actually a way of enjoying them more, and it is generally something that happens subesquent to initial viewing, so... your question doesn't make sense.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Yeah I agree sometimes you actually have to analize something to understand what the hells going on in front of your face. All I know is Ive never understood where the hell he came from. And the explination for it of its true just doesnt come across at all, it looks strange and random

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Legion1979 wrote:Do people enjoy movies anymore, or does everything have to be analyzed?
Well some people tend to analyze their movies while some people tend to simply enjoy films as they are.
Last edited by Julia Bristow on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: And the explination for it of its true just doesnt come across at all,
What the hell does this even mean?

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Tyler wrote:
Sydney Aradi wrote:according to movie snobs/movie purists you have to analyze every single thing about a movie to decide wether its good viewing or not.
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/im ... -horse.gif

You've really got to cut this out.
Along with the rash implication that academic education in film = snobbery/elitism.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sydney Aradi wrote:
according to movie snobs/movie purists you have to analyze every single thing about a movie to decide wether its good viewing or not.
You're inverting cause and effect here.

Speaking as someone whom I'm sure you'd label as a movie snob, I do not analyze a movie to determine whether it is good or not. I watch a movie, and I either do or do not enjoy it. I will generally apply my analytical skills to then determine why I did nor did not like it.

This is an enjoyable process. It just adds to the fun of watching movies, as well as helping me learn to make the right choices in my own work.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

@eabaker & @Living Corpse, look I can see that my statements got you a tad upset & wanting to rip my head off. About my statements about movie purists, yeah I just cannot resist because I just like to defend some films that might not be critically good. If Living Corpse & eabaker, if my comments made you mad or offended you then I aplogize to both of you.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sydney Aradi wrote:@eabaker & @Living Corpse, look I can see that my statements got you a tad upset & wanting to rip my head off. About my statements about movie purists, yeah I just cannot resist because I just like to defend some films that might not be critically good. If Living Corpse & eabaker, if my comments made you mad or offended you then I aplogize to both of you.
I wasn't mad or offended. Even though you and I tend to look at things differently, I think we've had very respectful exchanges, and I know you weren't aiming that comment directly at me. And, heck, there are times when I'm quick to call myself a movie snob. :-)

I just wanted to clarify my reasons for engaging in so much analytical discussion.