So who actually likes the Heisei series?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: So who actually likes the Heisei series?

Post by Goji »

Dr. Johnson wrote:I never got this this "Showa, Heisei" thing. Did you guys know that Godzilla 1985 is a Showa era film, and every single Millenium film is part of the Heisei era? Back in the day people called them "Classic" and "versus".

But to answer the question, "Versus" is my favorite era.
Right, but that was in the 90's, before there were three different eras of Godzilla films. THE RETURN OF GODZILLA may technically be a Showa film, but it's lumped together with the Heisei series because every film that follows it is a continuation of the events in that film. That is especially the case with BIOLLANTE and (to a lesser extent) VS. KING GHIDORAH.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I've never seen people consider ''Gamera III'' a Millenium film, even if it was released in 1999, the same year as G2000.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Where is this book on Asinine and where can I read it? I've been a big fan of Asinine since I was a kid and I find that the Showa Asinine series is easily the best, but if Millennium Asinine has something to offer, maybe I should look into it...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It's also evidently IR's favorite word of all time. Dude use to use it in practically all of his posts.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Dr. Johnson
Yojimbo

Post by Dr. Johnson »

My ranking:

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. Desutoroia
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla 1985
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla
Godzilla has a brain about this size, he's sheer brute force, while Kong... is a thinking animal.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The series has its fair share of hits and misses, but overall I find it rather bland and repetitive with the same cut and dry characters each time around (Miki Saguesa is the only one I can remember, and she didn't click with me at all). However, I do enjoy a couple of the movies. Here are my rankings on the movies:

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - It's a nice ol' campy movie in the midst of ones that are a little more serious.
Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla - Like the above, it's pretty laughable at times (though it tries to be serious with the whole mafia thing). However, I love Spacegodzilla and Moguera's my favorite mech of the Heisei era. The soundtrack is also noteworthy, perhaps because it's the lone 90's G-movie without Ifukube scores.
Godzilla vs Destroyah - Awesome monster and awesome ending. A solid way to end the Heisei series.
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II - Epic soundtrack and overall it's a decent movie.
Godzilla vs Mothra - Now you've stepped into some nasty shit. The movie takes everything bad about the Heisei series and bundles it all in one movie. The only redeeming factor is Battra and Mothra duking it out with Godzilla.
I didn't include Godzilla 1985 or Godzilla vs Biollante because I haven't seen either, the latter I has seen in Japanese--no subtitles--so I have no idea what the hell was going on most of the time.
Like I mentioned above, none of the movies listed produce much in the way of an enjoyable cast. The dialogue has some face palm moments too. The human plots are often the letdown of the movies. I still pop these movies in every once and a whole though.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Personally I love the Heisei series. I was first introduced to Godzilla in the early 90's with video rentals of Monster Zero, Mothra vs Godzilla and KotM, and after that I fed my passion for the monster by watching any Showa film I could get my hands on, as well as the 80's movies. The only thing I didn't like was playing Super Godzilla and wishing there were films for these new monsters like Battra and Mecha King Ghidorah. One of the greatest days of my life was when in middle school I realized the Godzilla vs King Ghidorah at wal mart wasn't an alternate titled GtTHM or GvsMZ, but a new film, then having my mind blown when MKG first appeared and fulfilled a years long wish. As the later heisei films came out the seemingly ridiculous monster bios on the bandai toys started to make sense too, does anyone else remember reading the back of the mechagodzilla box and wondering why they were calling him a weapon humanity built to stop Godzilla when their only experience with him was as an evil alien machine?

The series has its flaws, but due to my childhood self longing for it for years before I knew it existed and then finally getting to see these monsters in action its my personal favorite.

zombieheadache
Ronin

Post by zombieheadache »

My only problems with the heisei series is the fact that mechagodzilla is not of alien origins like the showa series and the baby g from spacegodzilla,otherwise it's an excellent addition to the godzilla series as a whole.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

A lot of people c laim they like it, but it's honestly been months (until now) since I can remember hearing a positive thing about a single Heisei film outside Godzilla vs. Biollante which I don't feel is that high above the rest of the era.

I generally feel the Heisei films had some of the series' better monster action sequences, but dragged down by some of the worst human plot stuff we've ever gotten. The sheer amount of human plot makes it a tough sit-through, but if you, I guess, watch it like a little kid, and focus on the monsters, they're still pretty enjoyable.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JVM wrote:A lot of people c laim they like it, but it's honestly been months (until now) since I can remember hearing a positive thing about a single Heisei film outside Godzilla vs. Biollante which I don't feel is that high above the rest of the era.
I have many positive things to say about Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and feel that in particular the first two of those look like great towering peaks when seen alongside the later Heisei flicks. There just isn't that much opportunity to express those feelings in most of the currently active threads.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Sue Dounim
Ronin

Post by Sue Dounim »

I grew up on the Heisei films, so I'm somewhat biased towards them. Beyond DAM and Gt3HM, I never really got too into the Showa films as a kid, but in recent years, soemthing clicked in me and now the Showa films are undoubtedly my favorite, flaws and all. But to keep on topic, I love the darker tones of these films, the only complaint I would have over all of them is that some the battles felt too much like laser light shows (I'm looking at you, Godzilla vs. Mothra...). If I had to rank them, it'd be:

01. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
02. Godzilla vs. Biollante
03. Godzilla vs. Mothra
04. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
05. Godzilla
06. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
07. Moguera (and Godzilla) vs. Spacegodzilla

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I don't think I ranked the Heisei movies when I posted in this thread before.

Here are my favorites:

Godzilla vs Destroyer
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla

I haven't seen Godzilla vs Biollante yet so I do not know where to rate that one just yet.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

The Godzilla vs. Mothra and Battra was pretty good

But the rest of them were just short and unimpressive.

This is just my opinion, but does anyone agree?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gojira1963 wrote:Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!
Space Godzilla is the only one of the lot I'll call a flat-out bad movie. I would almost always prefer to watch Gigan, some days maybe even Megalon. However, I'll happily take Space Godzilla over Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, or Godzilla Final Wars in a heartbeat.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

I wouldn't call the battles in MECHAGODZILLA, SPACEGODZILLA, or DESTOROYAH "short". They're anything but.

I'm not even a big fan of the 90's films, but I always felt the two monster battles in VS. KING GHIDORAH were some of the most visually stimulating/entertaining from this era. With as many people that dislike these films, this is actually the first time I've seen somebody say it flat out "sucks". Godzilla slamming King Ghidorah around by his tails? Yes please.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I liked G85, GvB, GvKG, BUT GvM was bad. I somewhat enjoyed GvMG2 and I kind of liked GvSG but was highly impressed with GvD (sorry if in anytime I have confused you)
Rest in Peace Victoria

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Goji wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I think it could have been a little bit more epic, I mean look at the battles like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, that match sucked! And when KG was returned as a mech, it really wasn't that much better.

I wouldn't call the battles in MECHAGODZILLA, SPACEGODZILLA, or DESTOROYAH "short". They're anything but.

I'm not even a big fan of the 90's films, but I always felt the two monster battles in VS. KING GHIDORAH were some of the most visually stimulating/entertaining from this era. With as many people that dislike these films, this is actually the first time I've seen somebody say it flat out "sucks". Godzilla slamming King Ghidorah around by his tails? Yes please.
Yeah, I particularly dig the first battle in that movie; it may be my favorite Heisei series battle, or perhaps tied with the final fight of Biollante. In both cases, I think the fact that they're relatively short and sweet works to their advantage.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

eabaker wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:Other than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla there really isn't a weak entry in the series for me. I like them all. I will even take Godzilla vs Space Godzilla over Godzilla vs Gigan any day!
Space Godzilla is the only one of the lot I'll call a flat-out bad movie. I would almost always prefer to watch Gigan, some days maybe even Megalon. However, I'll happily take Space Godzilla over Godzilla x Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS, or Godzilla Final Wars in a heartbeat.

I agree Space Godzilla is pretty bad, but like most Godzilla movies I do find things to enjoy.
Liam F.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Shadow wrote:Plus Megumi Odaka is a babe. ;)
http://markvine.com/images/Godzilla/God ... Odaka2.jpg

....*shivers* Ewww.
Epic. Those ears are epic.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1