What Godzilla films to see

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ThatDude100
Ronin

What Godzilla films to see

Post by ThatDude100 »

I'm new to Godzilla movies, and I was curious which ones do most people think are the best ones. I've seen alot of the 90's Godzilla movies, and i've enjoyed all those. Also, can someone tell me if the Mechagodzilla movies are really worth it to see? I've only seen Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla 2, and I thought it was great, but, I think alot of people think it's the worst one. I'd really like to see all of the Godzilla movies, so, i'm curious which movies people think are the ones to watch. Also, is Godzilla VS Gigan really as crappy as it seems? Anyway, i'd appreciate it if someone can tell me which Godzilla movies are ones I really need to see. Thanks.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Question about the Godzilla movies

Post by Rody »

I recommend starting with the following three films:

Gojira (1954) - this is the original film, and arguably still the best. It's a very somber movie reflecting upon the horrors of nuclear warfare, with very good human drama as well. I think this is the one film all aspiring Godzilla fans must see.

Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) - not to be confused with Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992). This is really the only film in the franchise that gives the original a run for its money. It has a great blending of sci-fi and fantasy elements, and although it isn't nearly as heavy-handed as the original, it still has a serious tone. The human drama isn't as good, but everything else about the movie makes up for that.

Son of Godzilla (1967) - although much more light hearted in tone, this movie is still really well done. The balance between human and monster characters is great, and Godzilla & his son, Minya, have a lot of personality. There are some really touching moments in the movie, as well as some intense ones that get you worried for both human and monster stars. Overall, it's a fun, but clever action movie.

I also recommend seeing pretty much all of the other 60's films; Godzilla was in his prime back then.
--------------------------

I don't believe Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 (1993) is considered one of the very worst; rather, I think the general consensus is that it's average/mediocre, which I agree with. I consider it a "dumb action movie".
This is not the case with the 70's dualogy. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) is still a straightforward action movie, but the producers seemed to recognize it better than those of the '93 film. The '74 film is loads more entertaining.
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975), on the other hand, is a very serious drama story. There's good monster action, but the human cast takes center stage here. It's pretty good; I recommend seeing it at some point.
(By the way, the 70's films are completely unrelated to the '93 film. the 2 in the title was just added by distributors to distinguish it from the '74 film.)
The 2002-2003 "Kiryu dualogy" is decent, but not as good as it could have been, in my opinion. I say check them out at some point, but don't rush it.
----------------------------

Godzilla vs. Gigan is - interesting. I think it's decent, but it does have flaws. I'll let one of the better informed members explain this one.

ThatDude100
Ronin

Post by ThatDude100 »

Sweet, thanks. I've been wanting to see the original Godzilla at some point. For me, I just think it's hard to top Godzilla VS King Ghidorah. It was the first Godzilla movie I saw (besides Godzilla 98), and it's definitely been my favorite so far. The only ones i've seen so far are Godzilla VS King Ghidorah, Godzilla and Mothra (92), Godzilla 98, and RM 1 and 2. I'd really like to see all the movies that have King Ghidorah, he was awesome.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Normally I would say that you're off to a bad start, actually. Godzilla vs. Mothra, GINO, and Rebirth of Mothra 2 are among the franchise's very worst! :lol:
I'm glad you enjoyed them, though. If you thought these were good, than Gojira and the 60's films ought to blow you away.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ThatDude100 wrote:I'd really like to see all the movies that have King Ghidorah, he was awesome.
Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster and Invasion of Astro Monster (AKA Godzilla vs Monster Zero) are both must-watches, then. They're two of the series' best.

If you're looking for an easy way to get most of the movies that haven been recommended, The Godzilla Collection DVD set is a good way to go. It includes Gojira and its Americanized version Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla, both of the aforementioned Ghidorah movies, All Monsters Attack, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Collecti ... collection
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Other members have mentioned this before, and I agree with them: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Astro-Monster make a great, albeit loose, trilogy of stories. I recommend watching them in chronological order to fully appreciate them.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Welcome to the franchise! I agree with a lot of their choices, but I'd also suggest ''Destroy All Monsters'', and belive it or not, ''Godzilla vs. Megalon''.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

ThatDude100
Ronin

Post by ThatDude100 »

Man, sucks to know I started off with the crappy ones. I know Godzilla 98 is thought of as the worst. I always wondered why people thought it was so crappy until I saw Godzilla and Mothra (92). I do think Godzilla 98 is a decent movie just as a movie, but, not as a Godzilla movie. Anyway, I appreciate all the help. I did see those movies on Amazon, and it seems awesome. I'm still curious about Godzilla VS Gigan. It seems like a crappy movie, but, I was on a topic on here about people talking about the Godzilla movies from best to worst, and Godzilla VS Gigan was usually in the top 10, so, I don't know.

And thanks for the welcome MaxRebo. I'll probably see those at some point. Godzilla VS Megalon has me curious though. I was watching The Angry Video Game Nerd talk about the Godzilla movies, and Godzilla VS Megalon seemed strange.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

King Kong vs. Godzilla is one that always delighted me. Sadly, the preferable Japanese cut is not available (legally) in the U.S., but even the American cut retains a lot of the movie's charm.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

eabaker wrote:King Kong vs. Godzilla is one that always delighted me. Sadly, the preferable Japanese cut is not available (legally) in the U.S., but even the American cut retains a lot of the movie's charm.
KKVG was the first one I saw. The only problem is, I watched it a few days after I saw the 2005 Kong, so it left me a bit dissapointed, though it has grown on me! ;)
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
eabaker wrote:King Kong vs. Godzilla is one that always delighted me. Sadly, the preferable Japanese cut is not available (legally) in the U.S., but even the American cut retains a lot of the movie's charm.
KKVG was the first one I saw. The only problem is, I watched it a few days after I saw the 2005 Kong, so it left me a bit dissapointed, though it has grown on me! ;)
I feel so old right now...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I restored the Japanese version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA a year ago. So look for copies of the Japanese version that specifically say they are restored. All the others are done off the Toho Region 2 Japanese DVD, which is basically a dupe of their early '90s laserdisc which doesn't look good even in its own right. They literally spliced in only the missing frames into the edited print with no regard for consistency.

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

First off, welcome! It's good to see people still discovering the Godzilla series.

As far as recommendations, I definitely have to go with the original Gojira, as well as the two Showa-era Mechagodzilla films. Terror of Mechagodzilla is my personal favorite. I'd also recommend Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack. Holy hell that's a long title but it is a pretty good movie. Also, check out Crackle.com as they have quite a few streams of later Godzilla movies up, and it is legal, good quality, AND free.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

With Godzilla vs. Biollante about to come out, and being super cheap to buy, you should probably give that one a chance as many agree it's one of the more enjoyable entries in the series.

Personally, I like all of the Godzilla films, but tend to count my least favorites as: Godzilla Raids Again, All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs. Megalon.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Godzilla films to see

Post by Gojira1963 »

I would suggest to the OP...watch all of them. You will find you like some better than others. Of all the movies there are about 4 of them I don't care for.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974 is my personal favorite
GMK has it's ups and downs
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla is interesting
Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster is some fun
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Godzilla X Mechagodzilla is interesting
Different fans, different tastes.

GxMG is a movie I find completely, 100% uninteresting. I literally have a hard time staying awake while watching it.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I thought the concept of Kiryu was interesting

We've had an evil Mecha G from space, then we had humans build a good Mecha G for saving Japan

Then you take Kiryu, a good Mecha G, built by humans, for saving Japan, SEEN IT! But wait there's a twist! His frame is the original Godzilla's (OgiGoji's) skeleton! But that's not all, it goes on a rampage thinking it's still Godzilla!

Did anyone else not like GXMG?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I thought the concept of Kiryu was interesting

We've had an evil Mecha G from space, then we had humans build a good Mecha G for saving Japan

Then you take Kiryu, a good Mecha G, built by humans, for saving Japan, SEEN IT! But wait there's a twist! His frame is the original Godzilla's (OgiGoji's) skeleton! But that's not all, it goes on a rampage thinking it's still Godzilla!

Did anyone else not like GXMG?
Oh, I think the core concept you describe is great, noa rguments there. I just don't think it's welle xecuted dramatically.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ Oh yeah I totally agree with you there , it isn't the best Godzilla film in the series, but it has it's fair share of ups, I think.