Fading Interest

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoleMan
G-Grasper

Re: Fading Interest

Post by SoleMan »

Well, you can't be into something 100%, 100% of the time. You have to let go, relax and recharge your batteries, get obessed with something else for a while...and then when your interest comes back, it comes back hard. How's the old Song go? "Hold on Loosely/but don't let it go/if you hold on to tightly/you're gonna lose control."

I had a problem with this a few years back, and went into a panic because I thought I wouldn't like Godzilla anymore,(Or anything for that matter--it was weird time) but if you're just patient, you'll find that your love will reignite, probably bigger and better than before.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SoleMan wrote: I had a problem with this a few years back, and went into a panic because I thought I wouldn't like Godzilla anymore,(Or anything for that matter--it was weird time)
I had something like that happen last fall, when I got into MLP and lost a lot of interest in Star Wars, which had been my main hobby for a few years. It can be kind of jarring when a new obsession suddenly overtakes an old one. It's like a minor identity crisis, or something.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

No

Hardcore Godzilla fan all my life. Always will be.

Giant monster movies? Yes

Godzilla to me is more than a giant monster. He's a character and an icon.

I love Marvel and DC movies but any superhero movie outside those 2 has no appeal to me.

I love Jurassic Park but any dino film outside that doesnt have as big as interest to me.

Call me a silly fanboy but its true. I love my franchises.

Now the fandom here on TK i have fading interest in. Why? Well its kind of an odd fandom. The fans on here rip each other apart over the silliest stuff. Some people actually dont want to see the Godzilla franchise grow and expand.
The past couple of years are what have disturbed me the most. We've had a lot new Godzilla stuff coming out but it has divided the fandom more than helped it.

First IDW comics...while not perfect some fans have gone on a vicious tirade against them because they arent a certain way even going as far to suggest that IDW should no longer continue the comics.

MonsterArts have caused veteran collectors to piss and moan about them because they aren't "perfect" by their standards and to rip them and fans who enjoy them. Same thing with Bandai USA figures. Those same fans have also gone on to suggest that both toy lines should not continue...same thing with IDW...

Now to the new Godzilla movie...this is where I have gotten upset with the fandom the most. People have been singing the praise and worshipping Del Toro and Pacific Rim while they are quick to criticize Gareth Edwards and not give him a chance. People have gone to suggest stuff like Legendary should scrap Godzilla and focus on Pacific Rim or PR should get a bigger budget than Godzilla or PR will gross more than Godzilla because people know Del Toro over Godzilla. IMO I feel like there is going to be a big Godzilla/Pacific Rim war with the fans. Godzilla has already had A TON more hype than PR has. Hell a lot of people are referring to Pacific Rim as a Godzilla/Gundam/Transformers/Evangelion rip off. Anyone thinking that the new Godzilla film wont do well is out of their minds.
I've seen fans on here ripping others because they post news on the new Godzilla film and call them obsessed and saying they have no lives....um HELLO??? Isnt that what fans are supposed to do?? Idc how good Pacific Rim is....it will NEVER be Godzilla.

There is change coming and some fans don't seem to like it. IDW is going to continue doing Godzilla comics. Bandai is the MAIN Godzilla toy line and will most likely do the toys for the new movie. I wont be surprised if other toy companies who do Godzilla stuff start fading out of the picture.
If the new Godzilla movie is going to be like the Comic Con teaser then it WILL be a HUGE success and will spawn a new American franchise and make the whole franchise bigger and better.

Itll be interesting to whether those certain fans stay on board or stay in the past.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ You don't need to blindly support everything the franchise does to be a fan. I agree that the fandom's in-fighting is stupid, but criticizing comics/toys/etc we don't like is not a bad thing at all. Toho should hear criticism if people don't like their products. How else will they know what we want to buy, and therefore what they should sell? Things like that (ideally) help them improve.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:^ You don't need to blindly support everything the franchise does to be a fan. I agree that the fandom's in-fighting is stupid, but criticizing comics/toys/etc we don't like is not a bad thing at all. Toho should hear criticism if people don't like their products. How else will they know what we want to buy, and therefore what they should sell? Things like that (ideally) help them improve.
Yeah, I have no intention of sitting by and supporting the flushing of something I love down the toilet.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

Zilla-x, that is kind of the whole point of fan forums: Getting into pointless arguments and complaining about stupid shit. Its like that quote from Jay and Silent bob Strike Back: "The Internet has given people a voice and apparently they're using that voice to bitch about movies"

What fan based forum have you been on that isn't like that? It isn't ALWAYS like that, but it is going to happen and quite often.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

I've been a Godzilla fan since I was a child, and even since then all the way til now, my interest within the Big G hasn't faded or fluctuate at all.
Very much like all of you, Godzilla is a big part of me, although for me personally I have always been active and become more and more interested within franchise. Why? Well, despite being a maturely young adult fan, I still discover things about franchise that continue to peek my interest. From Figures and X-Plus, to Mangas, comics, and movies/commentaries. There's always something new that I haven't experience that keeps things decently fresh and interesting. Everyone has there heroes and icons, for me, in general my hero and icon is Godzilla himself. Be a villain, a destroyer, or a savior, I'll always root for him.

So as a nice conclusion, no mine isn't fading, and I can tell that my interest isn't going to fade anytime soon. :D :g2k:

If your interest is fading, well take a break, take some time off and slowly try to get back into things. Who knows, maybe after some big G news is announced that your inner fan will become more active. It happened for almost everyone during Comic Con this year due to the trailer, poster, and panel. So yeah just do that.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I became a Godzilla fan when I was 5 years old. That was in 1968 and Destroy all monsters was the first Godzilla film I saw in theaters. As I grew older my interest faded. Then in my 40s when all of the Heisei and Millennium series released on DVD and these were movies I never knew existed before, my interest rose once more. I think right now I am more of a fanatic than I was as a kid!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

As a kid, I was all about Godzilla. Playing with Trendmasters toys, watching my few Showa films. It was a huge part of my life.

When I hit middle school, Godzilla seemed to fade away, most likely because I was afraid i would be mocked for liking something so seemingly "uncool". I told a few close friends that I liked the movies, but never more then that.

As high school came along, I was still scared shitless about being mocked for my love of Godzilla. All my figures were long gone, My tapes were all stored away in the basement, and any other trace of Godzilla was virtually gone from my life. I would still get a tape out on ocassion, but only when I wasn't with anyone. And on a VERY rare occasion I would buy a new DVD at Suncoast.

Then after I started dating Brit, I was TERRIFIED of showing her the real me. But after a few months, I finally started slipping Godzilla stuff out to her. Then I just kinda, let it all out. I got new DVDs, new figures, books... my collection REALLY started taking off since then.

I now let any of my friends know about my hobby, and while some still give me the usual "Wow, that is really gay" response, most just kinda take it as a part of me. And I love it :D
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

BandaiBandit
Monarch Researcher

Post by BandaiBandit »

JVM wrote:Am I the only Godzilla fan who's interest has faded in recent years? I mean, I've been around here seven years now. Obviously, lately we've gotten a lot of new comics and toys and stuff with the movie coming up, but for a long time, it was quiet and there was almost no news to report for years. Maybe the franchise is coming back to life now, but I'd still say, for a few years, we were dead - but that's not what this thread is about.

I don't know. I'm not the fan I was seven years ago. I know this is obviously a grave offense to the King of Monsters, but I'm curious if anyone else has felt their interest fade, even temporarily in the past?

Get out more! Go to shows, get involved! :xilien:
Most of the people on TK don't ever get out from behind their computers into the real world(Godzilla fandom world).
You if don't live with Godzilla, then you forget about it!
Have you been to G-Fest? Its really awesome, the best Godzilla show around.
Ya, between films people fade in numbers, but they return!
I live for Godzilla, kaiju films, Godzilla toys and scifi movies!
Watching a film at home is nice, even checking out Godzilla stuff online is cool.
However, there is nothing like going to a Godzilla festival and watching it with a theater full of fans.
Meeting other fans, collectors, meeting the film stars and movie makers is the best way to stay focused!
My interest in Godzilla does not fade, because I don't let it. Fans keep it alive and well! ;)
Godzilla Toys Never Get Old, Just People That Own Them!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I'm kind of going through the same thing that JVM is. I love Godzilla movies; always have, probably always will. As a kid I REALLY loved Godzilla movies, and had all this Godzilla stuff. I still get Godzilla stuff on rare occasions, but lately have been having less interest in it. I've been arguing with myself over what to do with the two bins of old Bandai figures taking up space in the corner of my basement, and while I definitely want to keep some, I really want to sell some too. I did go to G-Fest once and had a ton of fun, but wasn't as "into it," if you know what I mean. It's more of a "kid thing" to me, like a long phase I went through as a kid and am slowly growing out of. Nothing wrong with that though, that's just me. ;)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

goji89 wrote:It's natural for things to become stale at some point its natural.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Then one day something will click
and you'll be all over the series once again. This atomic monster
has a way of reaching back and pulling us all foward again at least for
me it has.
Man, goji89's first post on the fourms is actually deep.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life