Top five favorite title sequences

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Top five favorite title sequences

Post by Godzilla165 »

What are your top five favorite title sequences from any Kaiju movie? Mine would be:

1.Godzilla vs Destroyah
2.Gmk
3.Final Wars
4.Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
5.Godzilla 1954

And one extra which is S.O.S.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Kubo
Sazer

Re: Top five favorite title sequences

Post by Kubo »

1. Godzilla Final Wars
2. Godzilla Vs. Gigan
3. Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II
4. GMK
5. Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

5. Godzilla vs Gigan
4. G vs Hedorah
3. Terror of Mechagodzilla
2. G2000
1. G vs Destroyah
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

1. Terror of Mechagodziller
The moment you hear that ominous gong, those busy drums and that creepy synthesizer sneaking up from behind, you know shit's about to get real. And then BOOM! The title card explodes on the screen!

2. King Kong vs. Godzilla
Even Godzilla gets the luxury of the now cliche ominous foreign chanting trope. It's two of cinema's greatest monsters going at each other toe-to-toe in spectacular Eastman color, anamorphic widescreen and 4-track magnetic stereo, so it's undeniably awesome.

3. Frankenstein Conquers the World
The pan throughout the lab is genuinely spooky and sets a great tone for the opening scene.

4. GHIDRAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER
"THREE GIANT MONSTERS
THE GREATEST BATTLE ON EARTH!"
What a way to start up a film. Can't exactly get any more extreme than that.

5. Gamera 2: Verb of Legion
Damn, that's the kind of title you have to watch in a theater. I mean, I wish I saw it in one. The actual credits are pretty boring however.

Honorable mentions:
The H-Man
This one is easy to include just because of Sato's bombastic music.

Godzilla vs. Megalon
I have no idea why I like this one so much. I guess it's just nice to hear Manabe's music uninterrupted by TV print butchery.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Godzilla 1985 (yes, the American version)
God damned right. I'm not sure of my list yet, but that's definitely gonna be the top. That's a masterpiece of opening title design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hmm. I can't actually remember many of them; they're not something I usually pay much attention to. So I'll go with a top two:

- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. The whole submarine deal, finding Ghidorah at the bottom of the ocean, was kinda cool. "Blah blah blah. King Ghidorah fought Godzilla?" "Yes, in the twentieth century!" And then it cuts to the awesome shot of the two monsters facing off against each other, with the title flaring up in between them. The music was awesome for that sequence, too, if memory serves. *sigh* That's another one I'll need to get on DVD at some point. I haven't been able to watch my old VHS in a few years.

- Mothra vs. Godzilla. Starting the movie in the middle of a typhoon set to Ifukube music? Yeah, that's pretty much made of win.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I like/love all of the Showa intros/title sequences with the exception of RAIDS AGAIN (I prefer GIGANTIS's), and the Japanese version of REVENGE (that song drives me nuts).

Others I like:

-THE RETURN OF GODZILLA and GODZILLA 1985.
-VS. BIOLLANTE, VS. KING GHIDORAH, VS. MECHAGODZILLA ('93), and VS. DESTOROYAH
-GMK
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla vs Biollante

Godzilla 1985

Godzilla vs Destroyah

Terror of Mechagodzilla
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... thv9A&NR=1
Also, there is a Mothra one.

Anyway, in no real order:
* ''Son of Godzilla'' has always been one I liked. Just the image of Godzilla walking towards you has always made me smile. God, I love that movie.
* ''Destroy All Monsters'' not only has really cool text, but great timing, and really gives you a ''finale'' sort of feel.
* ''Terror of Mechagodzilla'' is definatley a "wow!" title card, as it literaly explodes on you.
* ''Godzilla vs. Destroyah'' of course, has a very cool title sequence, for reasons already explained.
* ''Dogora'' is another one I like, with that big blob zooming out for the title.

Honorable mentions go to ''The War in Space'' and ''Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II''

Dishonorable mentions go to ''Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla'' (Which looks the exact same as ''Godzilla vs. Mothra), The Japanese title for ''Godzilla 2000'' (Just bland), and ''Godzilla vs. Megaguirus'' (Looks like something out of a video game).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I dont get whats so cool about Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II's title.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The way the music accompanies the imagery, for one. Plus the 'shimmering' effect on the text is appropriate, considering Mechagodzilla is "shiny", etc., etc. I don't see why it's hard to understand why people like it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I don't know about my top 5, but the original Godzilla's title sequence has to be my absolute favorite. Sure it's not explosive, shiny, colorful, or anything like the later title sequences mentioned here. However, Godzilla's footsteps leading up to the title and the roar has to be the one of the most effective openings to any movie. Following this epic introduction is a scrolling of credits while the Godzilla theme plays along with some roars. Now that's a way to start a franchise. The only thing that kind of ruins it is the logo at the bottom right of the title screen.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

These ones are probably my favorites:

1. GMK
2. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
3. Rebirth of Mothra
4. Godzilla (1954)
5. Daimajin
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

1. Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
2. Mothra vs. Godzilla
3. Godzilla vs. Destroyah
4. GMK
5. Terror of Mechagodzilla
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Every single title sequence is epic, i could choose everyone as a favorite but i would say these as of now:

1.- Godzilla (1954)
2.- Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah
3.- GMK
4.- Godzilla Vs Destoroyah
5.- Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

King Caesar wrote:1. Godzilla Final Wars
2. Godzilla Vs. Gigan
3. Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II
4. GMK
5. Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
Edited!
1. Godzilla Final Wars
2. Godzilla's Revenge (AMA)
3. Godzilla Vs. Gigan
4. Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
5. GMK

I like the zany and weird ones that catch my attention, for better or worse. Godzilla's Revenge's opening theme is quirky as all get out, but fits surprisingly well with the film.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.