Fading Interest

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Fading Interest

Post by JVM »

Am I the only Godzilla fan who's interest has faded in recent years? I mean, I've been around here seven years now. Obviously, lately we've gotten a lot of new comics and toys and stuff with the movie coming up, but for a long time, it was quiet and there was almost no news to report for years. Maybe the franchise is coming back to life now, but I'd still say, for a few years, we were dead - but that's not what this thread is about.

I don't know. I'm not the fan I was seven years ago. I know this is obviously a grave offense to the King of Monsters, but I'm curious if anyone else has felt their interest fade, even temporarily in the past?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Fading Interest

Post by Space Hunter M »

My interest wains from time to time, but that's always natural. I have never, nor do I see a reason to altogether "give up" on Godzilla. The franchise will always stick to the back of my head.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Nope.

It's really the opposite for me. I 'faded' as a fan between the years 2008 and 2009. But since 2010 to present, gigantic fan of the franchise! This year I started collecting the figures and with the comics and a new film coming, it's a good day to be a fan.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Destroyer wrote:Nope.

It's really the opposite for me.
Dis.
I was a casual fan years ago, but in the past 3-4 years I became an obssessed Goji-geek.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I've lost some interest in Godzilla for quite a while now. But that's just natural. People aren't always consistently hooked on the same thing their entire lives. Sometimes we need to take a break so that the next time we revisit our old interests, we feel refreshed and can get hooked again.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My interest has fluctuated a bit over the years, yeah. Never completely faded, though. My lowest point... I remember being disappointed by MvsG when I watched it in '05; I hadn't seen it in quite a few years, and my memories of it had become a lot more epic than the movie actually is. So that kinda turned me off kaiju for a few months or so, until I eventually got over it.

My interest has really shot up in the last two years, since I joined Kaijuphile and now this place. I've learned a lot about the genre, and my whole perspective on the movies has changed and matured a lot. So I'm at least as big a fan now as when I was a kid, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

My interest fluctuates as well, but not because of films or stuff. For me its because of some of the fans. They're either assholes or morons (Not pointing fingers). At times said fans make me feel embarassed to be a Godzilla fan and make me feel like I dont belong.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I was fading...and then news for the new film came along.

That happens with me for everything. I love the "God of War" and "Assassin's Creed" videogame series, but when games no longer come out for them I will have to find something else that lures me in. Marvel and Batman is the same way. Since I don't religiously follow the comics anymore, it takes a film to get me hooked back in.

Sports, especially football, is really the only thing that I doesn't wane for me. And I think because something is always happening to keep me interested.

EDIT: But JVM, considering your comments in the action figure forum, I think you're losing interest on a whole different level. Though I will say this: I find myself a harsher critic of Godzilla films these days. Especially anything in 1990 or later.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

But JVM, considering your comments in the action figure forum, I think you're losing interest on a whole different level.
I'd rather not drag that into here, but let me just say my reasons for losing interest include things besides the actual film franchise.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

I lost interest in the comic books that IDW introduced after the first Kingdom of Monsters run. I thought it was another poor attempt at a company using Godzilla's name to earn a quick buck. Granted, I give credit to the artist who put their hard work into the series. But again, poor attempt at keeping the franchise alive. And I for one dont think Godzilla transitions well in comic book form to begin with. Then we had the games from atari, which I was very excited for when DAMM was announced which was the first entry of the 3 games that were made. It was fun but limited. That would hold true to the next 2 entries. There has been no real effort to give Godzilla the proper treatment that I believe LP will finally deliver.

The theatrical release of Godzilla 2000 was something special to me, but the entry seemed to only hurt Godzilla's reputation more so than help it amongst the general movie audience. The rest of the mellenium series had to be viewed through DVD with improper translations and poor presentations. Ok my rant is done.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

JVM wrote:
But JVM, considering your comments in the action figure forum, I think you're losing interest on a whole different level.
I'd rather not drag that into here, but let me just say my reasons for losing interest include things besides the actual film franchise.
Wasn't trying to build on the drama. I personally don't care or mind how much less you like Godzilla. Just going by the opinions you shared in that thread, you seem much further along than I. But I'll drop it.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

tenup wrote:I lost interest in the comic books that IDW introduced after the first Kingdom of Monsters run. I thought it was another poor attempt at a company using Godzilla's name to earn a quick buck. Granted, I give credit to the artist who put their hard work into the series. But again, poor attempt at keeping the franchise alive.
KOM sucked a**, I know, but the other series are pretty good. Especially the latest installment, Godzilla: The Half-Century War. KOM was written and drawn by people who just wanted their pay. The 3 mini-series are written and drawn very well, by actual Godzilla fans, too. Worlds better than KOM.

IDW's doing pretty good now, but KOM left a sour taste in people's mouths, causing a number of people to miss out on the spectacular series they're making now. It's a shame, really.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I lost all interest in Godzilla after the 1998 film, it wasn't until catching the end of GMK in 2007 i believe that i started to slowly re-watch older films an remember why i liked the franchise.

2009/2010 i started watching all the films again, An then it's just kinda been back an forth.. Now i just feel like a casual fan, I'll gladly catch G-film if it's on T.V. (except the 98 film) an catch LP's 2014 film when it's released.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

My interest in Godzilla was minor until a few years ago, when I started getting more familiar with the internet and discovered how much larger the kaiju genre is. Following that, I started going through all the Godzilla films again - at least twice - and now I think I have reached the point of no return. :-)
That said, I've become a little more selective in the last year or so. I mostly just like the Showa films.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It's natural for things to become stale at some point its natural.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Then one day something will click
and you'll be all over the series once again. This atomic monster
has a way of reaching back and pulling us all foward again at least for
me it has.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I first starting loving Godzilla at two, and the interest remained pretty consistent throughout my childhood (though it hit pretty big spikes in 98 and 00 for obvious reasons). As I entered teenagehood I focused more on guitar and wasn't much of a nerd at all, not only for Godzilla but for anything in general (I didn't even own a video game console for a good three years, I was too consumed by music). It wasn't until early last year that I re-realized how much the Big G means to me, and that I should embrace that interest once again.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

My interest has definitely risen and fallen at times over the last two decades. I will probably never again engage in the kind of hard-core obsession I did in high school, when I was really losing mysefl in the whole thing for the first time. As I finished colelge, and then started my "real life," my engagement with the fandom, and the overall intensity of my obsession, faded a great deal; however, I enver stopped loving the movies.

In the couple of years, as my adult life has stabilized, I've been able to indulge more, and feel in many ways the same passion in this rediscovery as I first experienced in my early teens. But odds are, it'll fade out again in time, only to be revived at some point in the years and decades to come.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Space Hunter M wrote:My interest wains from time to time, but that's always natural. I have never, nor do I see a reason to altogether "give up" on Godzilla. The franchise will always stick to the back of my head.
This. I'm sure my interest will be reinvigorated this weekend when I have my epic 58th anniversary marathon.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

U-Tom
Monarch Researcher

Post by U-Tom »

My interests wanes from time to time as well. Recently in the past few years I've gotten interested in Ultra Kaiju and even recently Mirrorman and Ambassador Magma :P

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

My interest has always being the same. Godzilla/Kaiju is one of my absoulte favorite media (alongside Videogames, Movies, and such).
it doesn't fade it just keeps getting stronger and it will be more when GODZILLA LP gets closer and closer.
It has and it will always have a place in my heart. (That sounded corny but meh)
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.