The best parts of the worst movies

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

The best parts of the worst movies

Post by eabaker »

Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Re: The best parts of the worst movies

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

eabaker wrote:Even the worst of kaiju movies certainly have some moments that shine, right? (Granted, I can't think of one for Final Wars, but maybe somebody else can...)

The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.
I effing love the part in Final Wars where Godzilla is standing (like a OG, mind you) in ground zero in the remains of Tokyo. I think it was when he shot at the meteorite, but, that epic shot alone is one of the coolest images in the entire series.

But I really can't think of one for Godzilla's Revenge. I suppose if you like Gabara than he can be worth the watch, but his roar irritated me as a kid and I haven't really watched it since.
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

I liked the scene when Rodan and Godzilla fight, in Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

I love the scene in Godzilla vs Gigan where you see Ghidorah and Gigan flying together. It was a really cool way to introduce the new monster.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla vs Gigan: The gun/corn scene.
Godzilla vs Megalon: The scene where Gigan and Megalon kick Jet Jaguar's ass and bro fist afterwards.
Godzilla 1985: Godzilla totally destroying the Super X by pushing a huge sky scraper onto it.
Godzilla vs Mothra: I personally loved watching the scene where Mothra and Battra carry Godzilla off to sea. Battra's sacrifice kinda got to me too, when I was little.
Godzilla Final Wars: Probably Godzilla vs Zilla. And Mothra's kamikaze. Though post-apocalyptic Tokyo was cool to see.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

Godzilla's tail slide in Godzilla vs Megalon.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

Um Duh... the end.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

eabaker wrote:The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.
While the film was shot in only three weeks, the total production time was about six months.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tamura wrote:
eabaker wrote:The first example that leaps to my mind is the dam destruction sequence in Godzlla vs. Megalon. In a movie where the spfx sequences bounce mostly between awkwardly placed stock footage and new footage which cannot hide its low budget and rushed production, Megalon's attack on the dam stands out as one of the more effective bits of monster destruction in its era.
While the film was shot in only three weeks, the total production time was about six months.
A.) That's pre-production time
B.) Six months is still damned short
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For G vs Megalon, I have to say it was JJ's theme song.

In G vs SG, it was the visual of the crystal fortress in the city.

For GFW, it's hard to find one, but I did enjoy the Mt. Fuji battle.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

daftfalloutgoji wrote:Um Duh... the end.

hahaha well-played.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Godzilla flying in Godzilla vs Hedorah.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

To sum it up for me, for any Kaiju film that I think is bad, I'd say most often the best part is the overall battles between the kaiju (if there are any fights) that and just the rampage sequences. But I'm just generalizing this for length's sake.
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've only seen three of the 'bad' ones recently:

Godzilla's Revenge: Gabara. Not my favorite kaiju by any means, but he fits this role and movie well.

Godzilla Raids Again: Most of the actual monster sequences were entertaining.

Godzilla vs Mothra: The volcano scene; Battra clocking Godzilla with the ferris wheel.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Roblicki
Ronin

Post by Roblicki »

Godzilla back to back tail balance drop kick in Godzilla vs Megalon!!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I think some of these responses are not in the spirit of the initial post...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

FINAL WARS has a few (albeit brief) scenes which are pretty impressive. Two that immediately come to mind are #1: Rodan standing atop a skyscraper, cackling into the NY night sky; and #2: Gigan's violent awakening.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Showa Gyaos wrote:The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.
Eh, I wouldn't call it one of the worst now that I've finally strayed away from that Frontier dub, but to each his own. The diologue in the scene where the crew of Monsterland discover Ghidrah in the Titan dub was arguably improved from both the International and Japanese versions.

Back to business, the Nebulans' motive rant in Gigan was actually kind of powerful and foreboding, and the destruction of the tower at the end was undoubtedly an awesome moment, especially with the backup of Ifukube's magnificent Storm piece.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:The overwhelming assault on King Ghidorah in Destroy All Monsters.
Eh, I wouldn't call it one of the worst now that I've finally strayed away from that Frontier dub, but to each his own. The diologue in the scene where the crew of Monsterland discover Ghidrah in the Titan dub was arguably improved from both the International and Japanese versions.

Back to business, the Nebulans' motive rant in Gigan was actually kind of powerful and foreboding, and the destruction of the tower at the end was undoubtedly an awesome moment, especially with the backup of Ifukube's magnificent Storm piece.
I've watched both the Japanese and English dubs. It's just too slow for me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.