Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

Post by miguelnuva »

Site listing: http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... antuas.htm

Use this topic to discuss the aborted Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas concept that was considered in the late 1970's.

Personal contribution:
So had this film been made in the Showa series, would it have been Sanda, Gaira or a new Gargantua and what movies would it be connected to?

I think Gaira would have turned good and could have worked in Hedorah,Gigan and DAM and Tokyo SOS.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: gargantua in godzilla

Post by edgaguirus »

I could see one of them, probably Sanda, in DAM.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

It depends on if they cared enough to explain/address the size difference between Gargantuas and Godzilla, and their death at the end of War. If they don't give a shit, than they could always just throw in either or both Gargantuas as is.

If they DID care it'd be kind of cool if there was a new Gargantua, and they could potentially explain its size increase by saying cells from both Gargantuas combined into one.

Having Gaira or Sanda worked into pre-existing Godzilla movies is a super interesting idea, too. WoG came after Destroy All Monsters, but it would have been cool as hell to see Sanda helping the Earth monsters take apart Ghidorah.
Haters gonna hate

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Tyler wrote:Godzilla and Sanda team up to fight Gaira.
Even better: Gaira and Sanda team up, but when Sanda sees his brother munchin on some innocent people, Sanda sides with Godzilla to take down his evil twin.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

King Caesar wrote:
Even better: Gaira and Sanda team up, but when Sanda sees his brother munchin on some innocent people, Sanda sides with Godzilla to take down his evil twin.
How would that work? Sanda was already an even match for Gaira, and was arguably even stronger. Having him team up with Godzilla just seems like overkill.
hammysammy59 wrote:It depends on if they cared enough to explain/address the size difference between Gargantuas and Godzilla, and their death at the end of War. If they don't give a shit, than they could always just throw in either or both Gargantuas as is.
Did they explain how Gorosaurus was taller in DAM? Did they explain how half the previously-dead monsters in the movie were alive again?
hammysammy59 wrote:WoG came after Destroy All Monsters
War of the Gargantuas - 1966
Destroy All Monsters - 1968
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Make Gaira super strong (and say that he actually survived the volcano) and a new Sanda was burn from the cells that separated from his body during the final confrontation. Then it might be a little more fair.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
How would that work? Sanda was already an even match for Gaira, and was arguably even stronger. Having him team up with Godzilla just seems like overkill.
hammysammy59 wrote:It depends on if they cared enough to explain/address the size difference between Gargantuas and Godzilla, and their death at the end of War. If they don't give a shit, than they could always just throw in either or both Gargantuas as is.
Did they explain how Gorosaurus was taller in DAM? Did they explain how half the previously-dead monsters in the movie were alive again?
hammysammy59 wrote:WoG came after Destroy All Monsters
War of the Gargantuas - 1966
Destroy All Monsters - 1968
Well, DAM was first in the US at least.

And that's why I said "if" they feel like explaining things. Obviously that usually doesn't happen in the Showa series, even between Frankenstein Conquers the World and WoG. And it's kind of more fun that way.
Haters gonna hate

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I don't want to see a Gargantua in Godzilla. These are supposed to be family films, you pervert!
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:I don't want to see a Gargantua in Godzilla. These are supposed to be family films, you pervert!
...That doesn't even make sense. -_-
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Probably totally new, but since Kumonga was dead and he was in DAM, then I guess it isn't impossible for Gaira or Sanda to be there.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Godzilla vs the Gargantuas: Would you have been up for it?

Post by gatorzilla »

Its no secret there was talk of a Godzilla vs Gargantuas movie

Would you have been up for it?

How do you think it would've gone?

I would've totally loved this idea!

I can just imagine Godzilla and Gaira fighting in the water.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... antuas.htm
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla vs the Gargantuas: Would you have been up for i

Post by Bentley »

I'm totally writing this into my Godzilla ongoing project, but yes, I'd have loved a film with these two.

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

I would have loved to see this movie. I always imagined Godzilla would have ended up fighting a third Gargantua, maybe one born from the cells of the first two when they got swallowed up by the volcano. Perhaps a red Gargantua that would have been impervious to heat or something. Make it more difficult for Godzilla to use his atomic ray on him.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the title was changed when brought to America to something like, "Godzilla vs Bigfoot."
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I would've been all over this had they made this. I love War of the Gargantuas and I really wish Toho threw them into the Godzilla canon proper (with this proposed film or them being in DAM). I can imagine the plot being similar to WOTG with ships disappearing at sea and the new Gargantua/Gaira going on a rampage before Godzilla gets embroiled in the plot. As for the fight scenes, I imagine them being similar to King Kong vs. Godzilla with the Gargantua throwing boulders and using trees as clubs.

Honestly, this is one of those few lost Godzilla projects that I wish was made.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I want this in any shape, way, or form I can get it. IDW has the rights to Godzilla and both Gargantuas, so it is entierly possible that we can get the fight in comic form. Plus in an upcoming issue we're getting something loosely based off of Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2, so it is possible we can see something like this in the future.

What would you prefer, Godzilla fighting one Gargantua or two? Most people I've heard from would have wanted Godzilla to fight just one.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I'd like to see Godzilla take on two Gargantuas tbh. It stacks the odds against Godzilla, give him a somewhat tough challenge
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Sydney Aradi wrote:I'd like to see Godzilla take on two Gargantuas tbh. It stacks the odds against Godzilla, give him a somewhat tough challenge
Yeah, I don't think one Gargantua would be challenging enough. But even one will still put up a fight.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

Mr. X wrote:
Sydney Aradi wrote:I'd like to see Godzilla take on two Gargantuas tbh. It stacks the odds against Godzilla, give him a somewhat tough challenge
Yeah, I don't think one Gargantua would be challenging enough. But even one will still put up a fight.
It depends on the Gargantua. Gaira could be a challenge.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I like the idea; and if Honda & his team was behind it, I'm sure it would have been great.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Megalon-5 wrote:I really wish Toho threw them into the Godzilla canon ... in DAM
That is rather confusing why they did not. Even though Destroy All Monsters was a big budget film, only the two new suits were made, Godzilla and Anguirus. With the others being reused and repaired. Gaira's was not as damaged, nor even Sanda's.

The Guargantuas were only made in 1966, so why couldn't the MASER Cannons and their stock footage have been used? It seems odd, while at the same time they had considered Ebirah. Reference: http://tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/all ... ective.htm

Really, how well could Ebirah have been used out of Water at the base of Mt Fuji? :huge:

Either one of the Gargantuas would have worked well as an anthromorphic stand in for King Kong. :mrgreen:
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."