Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

Post by Rody »

Tyler wrote: Well consider this... if Kumonga's male imagine a female. :freak:
YIKES!!!

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Yeah it's interesting that Showa Godzilla had not one but two equals, the first being Rodan and the other being Kumonga. King Ghidorah would be in hell if he had to fight all three since it's be like fighting three Godzilla's at once. I don't count Kong because he's over the place, not charged he's weaker then G, charged he's stronger then G.
Especially Rodan, he would have beaten Godzilla in GTTHM. Love the scene where he literally picked up the big G and threw him.

With that said, I really like Kumonga's sound, very spider-like. I just love how he appeared, clobbered Kamacuras, then went to take on the big G, good stuff.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I actually wish there was more of a fight between the two critters. Basically, Kamacuras shows up, tries to fly away, and gets sprayed in silk. End of fight.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

The one where Rodan drops Godzilla on a tower crotch first, dubbed the "dick drop" by James? Yeah that needs to be one of his throw attacks for a future game.
Yeah, that's the one. I wouldn't mind watching that whole fight again, of course Netflix took it off Instantly...
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Love Kumonga. She hails from one of the best Showa Godzilla films, and she's definitely one of Goji's creepier foes.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Is Kumonga a she or a he? I was pretty sure it was referred to as 'he' in the film.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Eh I stated somewhere above why I thought Kumonga was a she, just my opinion on it though. (And even if they say Kumonga as a he, isn't he generally given to something when the gender is questionable?)

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Kumonga sounds more of a male name, but Spiega sounds more femine to me that is. That's what I named my tarantulas. (Don't think I speeled that right.)
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I've probably mentioned this before, but I love the build up throughout Son of Godzilla that Kumonga gets; it's almost on par with King Ghidorah from Ghidrah. It's a horrible beast that rules over its own domain on Solgell Island, Riko knows to be wary of it and her fathers journal mentions the creature by name several times. The entrance to Riko's cave home is covered in old spider-webs and Kumonga, as soon as it woke up went to Riko's cave basically immediately.

I normally don't much care for fan extrapolation, but the idea that Kumonga isn't just a big monster but a creature intelligent enough to hold a grudge a single man is to fucking cool. It knew where he lived, had been there before to assault the cave entrance and goes back when he wakes up 'cause fuck Riko's Father.

Honestly, there's some cool fan-fic potential for a prequel story here.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Elephants remember paths to food and water, so Kumonga remembering where to find prey isn't a stretch. Kumonga lives on an island, so the menu is somewhat limited. Memory would prove a useful hunting aid in that situation.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

edgaguirus wrote:Elephants remember paths to food and water, so Kumonga remembering where to find prey isn't a stretch. Kumonga lives on an island, so the menu is somewhat limited. Memory would prove a useful hunting aid in that situation.
Elephants do have great memory though. Not sure if the comparison is accurate here.

As for myself, as I've stated in other threads, I don't like Kamunga all that much. I did like it as a villain for the human characters, but his fight with Godzilla and Minya bored me after being spoiled by Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan. I simply felt other opponents in the series were on some conquer the world shit if they ever beat Godzilla, but Kamunga would just stay on her little island, not really affecting anybody else in general.

Visually speaking, I feel like there are already so many giant spider or tarantula movies that another one was always the last thing I wanted to see. Kamacuras could have been cooler though. Would have been cool if they blended in and attacked like real praying mantids do. Of course, being a giant red bug in a green jungle hinders that. They did it in Final Wars but it was cheap ass looking CGI. As a puppet in the Showa series it could have been freaky!

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Legion1979 wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote: As for myself, as I've stated in other threads, I don't like Kamunga all that much. I did like it as a villain for the human characters, but his fight with Godzilla and Minya bored me after being spoiled by Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan. I simply felt other opponents in the series were on some conquer the world shit if they ever beat Godzilla, but Kamunga would just stay on her little island, not really affecting anybody else in general.
This again...?
Deal with it.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Just let it die guys. No point starting it again.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Yes master.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Kumonga is a great kaiju. She was the king of the island before even Dr. Myajima came to it. I would love to see the background story of that island.
A godzillasaurus egg lies there under the rocks, a giant spider which can´t leave her prison. (Kumonga is female in the german version of the movie)

Imagine Kumonga in Tokyo... :freak: It´s good to see that kaiju only on the "small" island. Not overpowered as mentioned in some posts before but strong because of using her natural born tactics (like playing dead, using the "web and the sting" tactics, sneaking around and hiding between the trees)

Even the big Kamacuras was no match for her where Godzilla failed even by using his heatray.
The battle between big G and Kumonga was good. Not too long but pretty exiting. Maybe a triple thread between Kumonga, Godzilla and (big) Kamacuras would have been more exiting but it´s ok as it is.

Good kaiju, good movie (pretty much underrated imo), good story.

Kumonga rating: 8 / 10 :mrgreen:
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Gailah 1966 wrote:Kumonga is a great kaiju. She was the king of the island before even Dr. Myajima came to it.
Since when is Kumonga a "she"? That's news to me. Seriously, where do some you come up with this stuff?
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Gailah 1966 wrote:Kumonga is a great kaiju. She was the king of the island before even Dr. Myajima came to it.
Since when is Kumonga a "she"? That's news to me. Seriously, where do some you come up with this stuff?
I think it´s a translation-error. In Japan Kumonga is a male. In the USA I think it´s not really clear what gender Kumonga is. In Germany it´s a female. It´s hard to explain but in german the article for spiders is always female. So they did in the dubbing.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

SpiderKing389
Ronin

Post by SpiderKing389 »

I remember when I first saw "Son of Godzilla" and thinking how awesome Kumonga was. Now, as my friends can tell you, I'm definitely a fan of spiders. Been so since I was four and have been fascinated with the creatures ever since, so to see one in a Godzilla movie was well, a big plus for me.

However, at the time, (I was a lot younger) I felt sorry for Kumonga when Godzilla finished him off.

Thinking back on it now, I'm more in awe at the actual marrionette (I'm sorry if I spelt that wrong) they built for Kumonga. And what also amazes me is the size of it. I've seen pictures of the Kumonga they used and it seems smaller than I imagined, however in the film, the cinematography makes the gigantic spider look enourmous. Kudos Toho effects team!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Since when is Kumonga a "she"? That's news to me. Seriously, where do some you come up with this stuff?
To be fair, has Kumonga's gender ever been officially stated? IMO, Kumonga would be a good choice for a female kaiju.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Rody wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Since when is Kumonga a "she"? That's news to me. Seriously, where do some you come up with this stuff?
To be fair, has Kumonga's gender ever been officially stated? IMO, Kumonga would be a good choice for a female kaiju.
I often imagine him as a male though. But its possible that Kumonga is a Female.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.