Is Godzilla Respected?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Is Godzilla Respected?

Post by Mincecraft »

I came up with this after looking through the thread "Are you embarrased to be a Godzilla fan". Some posts claimed that our fandom is schizofrenic. Are we crazy or does everyone hate Godzilla, something like that.

I think it's because we feel that Godzilla isn't respected as films made in the west are. "Oh ya, big guy in a rubber suit smashing buildings and fightng monsters, SOO realistic". So are you saying Transformers is more realistic than Godzilla? Thats the most common experience I see. Dubbing is something you just gotta get over.

Now I want to look beyond the personal experience with friends. In the general moviegoing community, are we truly respected? Why or why not?

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Is Godzilla Respected?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Of course he is! Godzilla's on the walk of fame or whatever it's called. Over in Hollywood.

But i think the every day person doesn't always take him seriously. I mean, it's guy in a rubber suit, bad dubbing, most of the movies are for kids.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Sav wrote:Of course he is! Godzilla's on the walk of fame or whatever it's called. Over in Hollywood.

But i think the every day person doesn't always take him seriously. I mean, it's guy in a rubber suit, bad dubbing, most of the movies are for kids.
I agree with what you said, but the bolded part may cause certain other members to attack you about it lol
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Mitchal
Interpol Agent

Post by Mitchal »

Godzilla is a silly looking guy in a rubber suit smashing tiny buildings.

If viewed out of context, the first thing I would say was "That sure looks goofy."

Also, don't get me started on dubbing, cause that crap is funny as heck.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

GodzillaDude wrote:
Sav wrote:Of course he is! Godzilla's on the walk of fame or whatever it's called. Over in Hollywood.

I agree with what you said, but the bolded part may cause certain other members to attack you about it lol
Let em attack.

That's a true fact. Bulk of the movies were for kids. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy em doe.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

These are reasons you have heard from other people I take it.

All of these reasons bug me. I'm gonna use Transformers as my comparison partner.

The movies are for kids. Well, so is Transformers.

And a rubber suit. Well, whats wrong with that? Goofy? Please, spare me. In all honesty, robots jumpin around and blowin the shit out of eachother isn't? Spider-man isn't?

And the dubbing, well, if ya wanna read through the movie, be my guest.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mincecraft wrote:
And a rubber suit. Well, whats wrong with that? Goofy? Please, spare me. In all honesty, robots jumpin around and blowin the shit out of eachother isn't? Spider-man isn't?
We geeks may understand that, but I doubt the average moviegoer thinks that way. The fact of the matter is that Transformers and Spider-Man are currently starring in flashy, high-tech American blockbuster movies. This automatically makes them cool. Aside from the abomination, Godzilla has never had a movie on that scale. He's old, cheaply-made, and foreign, and therefore not cool. All there is to it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

JAGzilla wrote:
Mincecraft wrote:
We geeks may understand that, but I doubt the average moviegoer thinks that way. The fact of the matter is that Transformers and Spider-Man are currently starring in flashy, high-tech American blockbuster movies. This automatically makes them cool. Aside from the abomination, Godzilla has never had a movie on that scale. He's old, cheaply-made, and foreign, and therefore not cool. All there is to it.
What a perfect analogy for rasicm. American Hollywood is cool. Foreign movies arnt cool. I love how the modern audience thinks that way (not you, your just makin the statement).

Uhh, cheaply made? People think making lavish miniature sets is cheap? Whats wrong with people?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Eh, I can understand a hesitation to embrace foreign movies. If it isn't in one's native language and culture, watching and understanding it becomes that much more difficult. I can't say I watch many foreign movies myself, with the obvious exception of kaiju movies.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Tyler wrote:There's a joke in the new Spider-Man movie about giant lizards so... he's not always respected but people know who he is. Basically it comes down to the individual. I mean, the original got a Criterion so I'd say that's pretty good. There's a new comic and a future reboot so he's pretty busy for an almost 60 year old character.
Yes, I just saw that today. That was pretty funny. "Do I look like the mayor of Tokyo?" :huge:

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Like when i compared the Godzilla franchise to other big american franchises he really isnt all that different.

First off how many other fictional characters have their star on the Hollywood walk of fame?

He was also one of only 3 fictional characters to win MTVs lifetime achievement award.

People gripe about the "guy in a rubber suit" well lets not forget they didnt have CGI back then and the rubber suit was a BIG step above stop motion. Besides correct me if im wrong but Japan doesnt have as big movie special effects as America?

People also gripe that Godzilla is either "not taken too seriously" or "made fun of" well how many other icons or franchises characters have been made fun of? Batman is having a great run right now in the movies but how many gay jokes have been made at him over years? Before Nolan Batman was joked about a lot. Transformers has been joked at. Star Trek and Star Wars? All of the big franchises have been made fun of too not just Godzilla.

With some of these franchises its taken a big blockbuster movie or trilogy to get the big time popular in America. Were Transformers as big as they are now before their movies? Same with Iron Man or the Avengers? Godzilla is still their but whats going to happen if the new big budget special effects Americam Godzilla turns out to be a great film? A lot of people may not believe me but this will get Godzilla popular in America again. Everything that caused Godzilla to be big in America in the 90s was a result of SONY getting the rights to make an American Godzilla movie in 1992. That right there caused everything to boom in America and it all died when the movie failed. LP announced their Godzilla in 2010...since then we have a new major comic book series from IDW and Bandai USA has done more figures and SH MonsterArts are a hit too.

If you look people seem to be very excited about the new upcoming American movie even with the very little info we know...that says ALOT!

Yes Godzilla is respected. However itll reach whole new levels should the new American movie do well.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:

Why would we attack him? Most of these films are aimed at kids, if they were all serious like the first film this franchise would have died off a long time ago, they needed to adept to the light heartedness of the mid late 60's to 70's to have some aduiance.

I didn't mean you or every member. Just certain people I've seen on here think some of the films are meant to be taken dead seriously. Which shouldn't be the case except with Gojira.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I generally agree, but mainstream opinions obviously are important. No studio wants to make a new movie if only a few thousand die-hard fans are going to care about it. Same goes for DVD releases and such.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

JAGzilla wrote:^ I generally agree, but mainstream opinions obviously are important. No studio wants to make a new movie if only a few thousand die-hard fans are going to care about it. Same goes for DVD releases and such.
Exactly and i know I would like to see more Godzilla stuff here in America.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!