Hypothetical Godzilla Cartoon Series - Who Should Lead?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Hypothetical Godzilla Cartoon Series - Who Should Lead?

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

If there was another Godzilla cartoon, what monsters should be the lead in an ensemble cast, whether a Power Trio, or a Five Man Band. This could also include human characters from past movies as well.

My ideal Godzilla Cartoon would have the King of the Monsters himself, Anguirus, Mothra, Rodan, and Biollante. I picked Anguirus because when I think of a Lancer for Godzilla, I think Anguirus. Mothra because she's be the mediator of the Power Trio and would fill in the role as The Chick. She is also not a reptile/dino, and is very popular. Rodan because he's popular as well and he's the other Lancer to Godzilla. He could also be pretty smart, even when he's a cackling jerk. Biollante because I want monsters from other eras, she's fills in as the second woman monster of the group, and fills the role of The Big Guy(or Big Gal, in her case).

Of course, such a series would show how they grow as characters. Godzilla and Anguirus grow to become best buds, Rodan learns some courage, Biollante establishes her identity, and Mothra...I don't know. Any ideas?

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: Hypothetical Godzilla Cartoon Series - Who Should Lead?

Post by Godzilla165 »

Sounds like a show built around kids. I don't know, come with some more ideas of having Godzilla be the gigantic prick that he is. Sure he can have some close partners/buddies, but no besties. Maybe show how Godzilla learns that being a dick all of the time will only get you so far, and make him evolve just a bit, but not much to where he likes to hug :lol: One more thing, try to make it a little bit dark, not too much where there is no comedy like Angy trying to play with Godzilla, and Godzilla just growls and flicks a giant boulder with his tail over to Angy to gnaw on or something. You've got some good ideas, you just need to execute them a little better ;)

Mine would be have a darker tone, have all of the big baddies in their like King Ghidorah, FW Gigan, Destroyah, SpaceGodzilla, etc. I would also introduce some new one like Krystalak, and Obsideous, and have Godzilla start out with only Angy and Rodan, but then aquire some extra partners in later episodes like Kiryu, and King Ceasar. At the end of the series, I would finally introduce Bagan as the most powerful monster in the universe, and he would be on no side. He would slaughter countless monsters good, and bad alike, and have every remaining monster team up to stop him. Then have Godzilla turn into Super Godzilla GASP! He would then brutally beat Bagan near death for all of the pain, death, and destruction he has wraught, an finally finish him with a red spiral ray, and chest beam. I would make this an anime by the way.

Now mine is nowhere near perfect by any means, and still needs some ironing and tweaking, but I think a Godzilla animated series would work better by being 1. An anime, 2. having a darker tone, while still retaining some hilarious comedy from human, and monsters alike.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

My idea for it is that it's DCAU (DC Animated Universe) kind of cartoon. Still accessable to kids, but what great writing.

My idea for Godzilla and Anguirus is the former is the Heisei iteration. They fight like in Raids Again, but another, badder monster interrupts, forcing them to work together. They slowly and reluctantly begin to consider each other friends. They are pretty stoic and a wee bit Tsundere about it, but they can't get rid of each other.

Though what you are describing sounds like they would fit for amusing Animated Shorts.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

My 5 monster band would include:
Godzilla (leader)
Anguirus (best friend)
Mothra (girlfriend)
Rodan (ally)
Zilla (brother)
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

Godzilla165 wrote:I would finally introduce Bagan as the most powerful monster in the universe.
Bagan is not that overpowered. :?
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzilla165 wrote:At the end of the series, I would finally introduce Bagan as the most powerful monster in the universe, and he would be on no side. He would slaughter countless monsters good, and bad alike, and have every remaining monster team up to stop him.
Right on brutha. *Clinks drinks*

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

My full cast:

Godzilla (2004) - The lead. Alright with friends, but also prefers time alone. Gets pissed if friends are hurt. Sort of the reluctant hero. Only parent of Minilla.

Anguirus (Showa) - Godzilla's friend. Basically what Robin is to Batman.

Rodan (2004) - Godzilla's friend. Wisecracker, occasional jerk. Some fighting with Big G.

Mothra (2003) - The girl. Mediator of the group. Not the best relations with Godzilla.

Gigan (2004) - A villain. Willing to fight, but very willing to run and abandon "partners". The Starscream of the crowd.

Megalon - Bit of a dumb brute this one. Can be cunning at times.

King Ghidorah (Unleashed crossversion) - Boss of the aliens until...

Spacegodzilla - The mastermind of it all!

Kiryu - Protector of humanity. Torn with knowledge that he is Godzilla's relative in a way. Stuck-up when Big G is around, but will co-operate.

Minilla (2004) - Godzilla's loyal son. The voice of reason. Human size, then grows at some point in the series.

MechaGodzilla - Metal rival. Think Metal Sonic.

Biollante - Seductive (well, as far as it goes) villainess. Likes to screw with Big G.

Zilla - Godzilla's jealous brother.

Titanosaurus - Drifter, falling in with bad people.

Battra - Mothra's brother. A little cynical and morally nihilistic.

Megaguirus - Rival of Mothra.

Destroyah - Biological weapon against Godzilla. The last word in doomsday devices!

Orga - A guy who "flys under the radar".

King Kong, Gamera, Gorosaurus, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Manda, Varan, Moguera, etc. can all play minor roles.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Some very cool ideas man ;)

#BotM

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Should come up with storylines. :P

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

Idk why but I always imangined that titanosaurus would be an acholic (in a more adult- orientated cartoon of course).
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I could see Godzilla with a Hellboy attitude.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Ok...
*Takes another drink of beer*

It's called Monster Island High!
It stars all the Toho monsters as kids just trying to make it through high school in one piece.

Godzilla, The new kid in school. has to proves to himself and others that he is tough and cool. yet gets pick on.
Anguirus, A big nerd that clings to Godzilla for surport and friendship.
Mothra, The peppy cheerleader that loves nature.
Gigan, The techno geek
King Kong, The Jock
Rodan, another friend of Godzillas but also one of the cool kids everyone loves.
King Ghidorah, The bully just out to make Godzillas day a bad one.
Destroyah, King Ghidorahs partner that always laughs at his jokes.
...and so on
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

DeadpoolsbetterThanU
JXSDF Technician

Post by DeadpoolsbetterThanU »

I'd have it be like this. At least with the art.
CHIMICHANGA!!!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Nothing says AMURIKA like cars, explosives, guns, hot chicks, and tons of money being spent on it.

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

I'm thinking a long the lines of a super friends dynamic show like the old Hulk Hogan cartoon or even Fat Albert.

Godzilla is of course the lead.
Rodan supporting friend #1 - a little sarcastic and edgy.
Mothra supporting friend #2 - wise, girly, strong.
Anguirus is "yes man" friend - the follower.

Main villains would be Xiliens. There would probably be some humanoid lead figure character.

Kind of a Power Rangers vibe where Xiliens are always sending monsters each episode.

For sure:

MechaGodzilla
Ghidorah
Gigan

And teamings of lesser villains like Battra and Megalon.

:D

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

ScootaVaran wrote:Godzilla, The new kid in school. has to proves to himself and others that he is tough and cool. yet gets pick on.
Im sure that wont turn out well for Ghidorah 8-) .

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Okay, so we've established some ideas for monster characterization, but... now what? What would such a show (the high school idea excluded) be about? I mean, kaiju... they aren't really deep characters. They pretty much alternate between hibernating/laying around, smashing stuff, and killing each other. Action is great, but alone does not a good show make. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is a good example of this. The episodes I've seen of that are mostly wall-to-wall fighting, with little room left for story or character interaction. Consequently, I got bored with it very quickly. I expect a kaiju show like this would go the same way.

A show with a human main cast, along the lines of GTS, is IMO the best way to go. The monsters are still prominant, but they can just stick to what they do best (action) and leave the rest of the story to the humans.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

^ OR you could give the kaiju more human qualities...

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

That's the point.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yes, but they're still giant dinosaurs, bugs, etc. There's not really a whole hell of a lot they can do besides eat, sleep, wander around, and fight. They don't have any real culture or technology, they have no real threats besides humanity and each other, they can't go anywhere near human settlements without being attacked, they're too big to easily interact with humans, animals, plants, etc. in a non-destructive fashion... I just don't see how they could carry an interesting show for more than a few episodes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Well, we just gotta get creative dont we?

This may sound crazy, buts there's a mini youtube series called Godzilla and His Amazing Friends.

It's stop motion figures, Showa style.

Check it out.