TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Re: TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

Post by Darth Calypso »

Shazam14 wrote:I love the fact I am able to hear this on TV: http://youtu.be/yJghA5ixzpM
Yeah, watching these movies in their Original Japanese versions for the first time on TV remindes me of why I hate the American versions for screwing with the music/footage/Sound Effects.
Last edited by Darth Calypso on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Japanese Rodan, huh? Cool. Kinda wish I'd watched that, now. I have the US version on DVD, but haven't seen the Japanese one yet. Oh, well. Hopefully they'll give Mothra the same treatment, though I'll be happy either way. Haven't seen the movie at all since '05-ish, and only payed attention to the monster scenes back then. Only eight minutes to go...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

So Mothra's in Japanese too. Not the biggest surprise, but still cool nonetheless.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

Mothra's in Japanese! So awesome!

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

Good lord....These business men are bigger dicks than the ones in Mothra vs. Godzilla.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Maybe it's me but the subs for Mothra look like a mix between dubtitles and the translations on the Sony set, for example, they call Zen a bulldog in the airing whereas the ones for the DVD call him a snapping turtle.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

I think bulldog is more fitting for Zen than a snapping turtle lol. Thus far I am really enjoying the film, the human characters are surprisingly captivating. Well, most of them.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Is Rosilicia supposed to be a ficticious version of the US? I wouldn't think so, except for the whole 'New Kirk City' thing.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

The H Man is the English print...aw, man! Looks worse than the DVD. :mad:

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Mothra was a very amazing movie, it had a lot more action, drama, and likeable characters than I had expected. Gotta give it up for the Queen lol.

Also if anyone is interested,
The Valley of Gwangi will be airing on TCM again at 7:30 am EST

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Dark Uniter wrote:The H Man is the English print...aw, man! Looks worse than the DVD. :mad:
Yeah, they played the same old TV master, like they always do. The restored version that Sony did several years ago is never aired, for whatever reason.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

Anybody else notice they get the plot wrong for Mothra on the website?
After Godzilla kills a legendary giant moth,her offspring set out for revenge.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I was suprised that TCM showed the Japanese versions of Rodan & Mothra. I thought that they were gonna show the heavily edited American versions but they shocked the hell outta me last night. I guess they really were taking this Ishiro Honda dedication night seriously. But good god Robert Osbourne's Japanese is so f**king rusty
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I didn't know Rebirth of Mothra II was her most recent movie. Nice to see TCM did their homework. :lol:

Showing the Japanese versions of the movies makes up for it, though. Mothra was great, much more interesting and exciting than I'd remembered.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Last night was really fun for me, really, really glad to see 3 of the 4 Honda uncut on TV, that took me by surprise! I stopped watching by the time The H-Man went off but I really wanted to rewatch House (1977). I encourage more stations to air uncut prints of monster movies on TV. :)

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Manda2012 wrote:Is Rosilicia supposed to be a ficticious version of the US? I wouldn't think so, except for the whole 'New Kirk City' thing.
"Rolisika" is a combination of the Japanese words for America and Russia. Their flag is a weird combination of the American and Soviet flag and it's why all the wide shots of "New Kirk City" are B-roll of Miami, but on the street level it has a more Eastern European look.

Basically they're the ultimate international superpower. Or something. They were supposed to be in Mothra vs. Godzilla with the Rolisikan Navy using the Frontier Missiles on Godzilla in the beach attack scene, but it was changed to American in the last draft.
DagarahX wrote:I think bulldog is more fitting for Zen than a snapping turtle lol. Thus far I am really enjoying the film, the human characters are surprisingly captivating. Well, most of them.
Snapping turtles have the same connotations that bulldogs would have in Japan. Round and stubborn. Hence the odd nickname, but both are perfectly appropriate.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Nice surprise to see RODAN and MOTHRA shown subtitled!
The Dark Uniter wrote:The print and subs appears to be the Classic Media ones, still awesome to see Godzilla subbed for the first time on TV. :)
Classic Media owns the TV rights (sub-licensed to a company called Westchester Films) to their Godzilla/Toho films. So if GODZILLA, RODAN, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, MOTHRA VS GODZILLA, etc are shown on US TV, the source for those films will be Classic Media.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

I finally managed to watch Gojira which I taped yesterday. It was my first time watching it, it's fascinating to see how Godzilla was more of a horror icon back in the day. The film is easily a masterpiece.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I watched Rodan, and fell asleep during Mothra-lol But, I was thrilled to see these films subtitled.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I recorded Gojira, Rodan and Mothra. Haven't watched Mothra yet. I wanted to record H man but I forgot to do that. But it was still great being able to see Godzilla at his starting point