Best End of Era Film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which of the era enders was the best?

Terror of Mechagodzilla (Showa)
48%
Godzilla vs Destroyah (Heisei)
45%
Godzilla:Final Wars (Millenium)
7%

Total votes: 98

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Best End of Era Film

Post by antovald20 »

^Ha! I know, but come on! GODZILLA MELTSDOWN!
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

antovald20 wrote:^Ha! I know, but come on! GODZILLA MELTSDOWN!
So what?
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^Isn't that a better ending then just turning around, and roaring?

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

antovald20 wrote:^Isn't that a better ending then just turning around, and roaring?
No.

In Terror Of MechaGodzilla, there's a sense of accomplishment for Godzilla, that he's done his job for the world and that he can live in peace with himself. That ending is happy and satisfying.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah's ending makes you feel depressed and sad for Godzilla. He just got his son killed (at least he believes his son is dead), he didn't kill his final opponent, and he died for reasons that he probably didn't understand. That's terrible.

I'd much rather have an ending where Godzilla has accomplished something and is happy, then an ending where Godzilla loses everything and then dies.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^Come on! GvsD is a much better, and powerful ending then Terror of MG, Also it's the best ending in Godzilla history.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

antovald20 wrote:^Come on! GvsD is a much better, and powerful ending then Terror of MG, Also it's the best ending in Godzilla history.
People who are incapable of hearing other peoples opinions shouldn't be posting in an opinion based thread where your opinion is in the minority.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: In Terror Of MechaGodzilla, there's a sense of accomplishment for Godzilla, that he's done his job for the world and that he can live in peace with himself. That ending is happy and satisfying.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah's ending makes you feel depressed and sad for Godzilla. He just got his son killed (at least he believes his son is dead), he didn't kill his final opponent, and he died for reasons that he probably didn't understand. That's terrible.

I'd much rather have an ending where Godzilla has accomplished something and is happy, then an ending where Godzilla loses everything and then dies.
I can fully understand this reasoning; for me, though, ToM still doesn't feel like a proper finale to the series. Maybe it's just me.

Actually, as I write this, it suddenly occurs to me that there's a surprising contrast to the finales. In ToM, all ends well for Godzilla, but our human characters are left with tragedy. In GvsD, our human cast ends up fine, but now Godzilla gets the short end of the stick.
Just an interesting observation.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
antovald20 wrote:^Come on! GvsD is a much better, and powerful ending then Terror of MG, Also it's the best ending in Godzilla history.
People who are incapable of hearing other peoples opinions shouldn't be posting in an opinion based thread where your opinion is in the minority.
Of course I'm capable. I was just trying to find out why is TofMG a better ending then GvsD? Because to me the ending in TofMG is more like any other ending, but to each his own.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

TOMG has a great closure (the music in it made it more definitive) Godzilla defeating the villains, overcoming the
duo of MG and Titano and saving the world from Aliens.

GvsD also has a good ending but although maybe some critizice it, i like it. It had a "Ending mood" and the last 15 minutes feel
really sad.

GFW...It had an ending that just sucked compared to the other two...although meaning that both Godzilla and Minilla will "return"
some way, i just dont like it as mcuh as the other two.

Overall: GvsD has the "best" ending in terms of closure but its just to depressing. While The TOMG feels more "happy" and
it gives a satisfiying experience to the viewer for what Godzilla accomplished in it. GFW...i dont like it.

1.- TOMG
2.- GvsD
3.- GFW
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

...Um, no.

One, I find Terror Of MechaGodzilla's ending more powerful, because you're happy for Godzilla. It leaves you with a feeling of hope and wanting more. Godzilla vs. Destoroyah's ending leaves me depressed and sad for Godzilla, and makes me not want to do anything else that day in my depression.

Leaving an audience with a sense of hope and happiness is more powerful than leaving an audience with a sense of depression and sadness.

Two, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah does not have the best ending in Godzilla history. That would go to Son Of Godzilla. If there's any one moment in a Godzilla film that will make me cry, it's the ending to Son Of Godzilla.

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

You know, reading all this actually makes me want to watch ToMG right now.
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

GotengoXGodzilla-WOW! I didn't ever consider Son or Godzilla. I mean that movie is pretty sad, ever thou they don't die, its still pretty sad.

Oh! And WOW! Depressed really? I mean all of godzilla's energy goes into junior so in a way the dad didn't die he was reborn through his son, and it looked like a new series was about to begin.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

WOW! I didn't ever consider Son or Godzilla. I mean that movie is pretty sad, ever thou they don't die, its still pretty sad.
...Um...Son Of Godzilla's ending is not sad. Quite the opposite actually. Sad moments in movies don't make me cry, incredibly happy moments do. Where everything comes together so perfectly, that not only is everything right in the world of the film, but that the ending also makes you feel like everything is right in your world too. The ending of Son Of Godzilla does that for me.
Oh! And WOW! Depressed really? I mean all of godzilla's energy goes into junior so in a way the dad didn't die he was reborn through his son, and it looked like a new series was about to begin.
A. Yeah, the dad still died. He still thinks his son died, he didn't kill his final enemy (the force that was always trying to stop him did it) and he died from a cause he most likely didn't understand. That's depressing. Everything that could go wrong for Godzilla, did go wrong. Doesn't matter if Junior was brought back to life, that Godzilla is still dead.
B. There was never going to be another series built off of the ending to Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, at least not now. So that means nothing.

MechaZillaClone
GPN Volunteer

Post by MechaZillaClone »

Honestly, GFW has my vote. it showed that Godzilla and his son were taking a break from fighting by going to the sea. But when the G-man looked back and roared, it was like he was saying "I'll be back." Thats why I thought it was a good end of era movie.
Shadow Arena
Wins-0
Losses-2

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

MechaZillaClone wrote:Honestly, GFW has my vote. it showed that Godzilla and his son were taking a break from fighting by going to the sea. But when the G-man looked back and roared, it was like he was saying "I'll be back." Thats why I thought it was a good end of era movie.
...Terror Of MechaGodzilla does the exact same thing, and is overall a much better movie than Godzilla: Final Wars.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I went with GvD, mainly because I have not seen TOMG and I hate Final Wars

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

Berzerkgodzilla wrote:I went with GvD, mainly because I have not seen TOMG and I hate Final Wars
ToMG is great, I highly recommend it.
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

Lawsford
Monarch Researcher

Post by Lawsford »

Terror of Mechagodzilla, when Godzilla appeared, my Spine got goosebumps, and I was on the edge of my seat during the final battle

Katsura's suicide was also Interesting, it was something I did not expect, as I expected her to somehow destroy the mind control and live happily with the Interpol guy
This millenium hair is simply fabulous

Oooo I could get used to this look

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

EikoHarvey wrote:
Berzerkgodzilla wrote:I went with GvD, mainly because I have not seen TOMG and I hate Final Wars
ToMG is great, I highly recommend it.
I really want to get/see it, however the money I have and the money I am going to earn needs to be saved for more important things. So I'm either going to have to hope it will be on TV one day or maybe add it to my christmas list

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Do you have a library? Those can be useful too. Even if they don't have it, they might be able to get it through inter-library loan.