How do you look at Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

How do you look at Godzilla?

Post by gatorzilla »

How do a lot of you fans look at Godzilla?
Do you look at him as a major cultural icon like Batman, Superman, Transformers etc
Or do you look at him as just another monster?

i look at him as a major cultural icon
I mean do other people really remember any other movie monsters?
Godzilla is a lot more than just some monster
like Batman is more than just some superhero
and Transformers are more than just some robots

i look at Godzilla movies as more than just monster on the loose movies like Cloverfield and such
dont get me wrong i love giant monster movies to death but i think Godzilla is way more than just that

what do you guys think?
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: How do you look at Godzilla?

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Of course he's more than a monster on the loose. He has personality, and represents the ills of nuclear weaponry.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

He is absolutely an icon; that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. He started the Japanese daikaiju genre, after all. Without him, none of the others would even exist. And he's been in 28 movies so far, more than most of the other monsters combined. And as you said, he has widespread recognition. Pretty much everybody has heard of him, even if most people probably don't know many specific details about him. But if you say 'Godzilla', people have at least a general idea what you're talking about. 'Gamera' or 'Ultraman' or whoever else... probably not so much.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

A major pop culture icon. He has been for a very along time now. Def not your average monster.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I started thinking about this because earlier i was at a graduation party and a little kid was playing with his Godzilla (BC Godzilla '68) toy and he knew who Godzilla was even though he was under 5. He was Avengers shoes and got excited at my friends Transformers towel and I started thinking that even though some may not think so I believe Godzilla is up there with other icons like those i just mentioned. It was fun talking to him about Godzilla. It makes me wish Toho was more flexible and that more Godzilla merchandise could be done here in America. Obviously the BC toys sell really well

How many other giant monster toys would kids play with outside Godzilla? Jurassic Park and Transformers and then anything out of Marvel and DC probably. Godzilla is just as big an icon as those and kids today still love the toys
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

gatorzilla wrote:I started thinking about this because earlier i was at a graduation party and a little kid was playing with his Godzilla (BC Godzilla '68) toy and he knew who Godzilla was even though he was under 5. He was Avengers shoes and got excited at my friends Transformers towel and I started thinking that even though some may not think so I believe Godzilla is up there with other icons like those i just mentioned. It was fun talking to him about Godzilla. It makes me wish Toho was more flexible and that more Godzilla merchandise could be done here in America. Obviously the BC toys sell really well

How many other giant monster toys would kids play with outside Godzilla? Jurassic Park and Transformers and then anything out of Marvel and DC probably. Godzilla is just as big an icon as those and kids today still love the toys
I've always wanted to meet a kid who was avengers shoes!
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

JAGzilla wrote:He is absolutely an icon; that's not even an opinion, it's a fact. He started the Japanese daikaiju genre, after all. Without him, none of the others would even exist. And he's been in 28 movies so far, more than most of the other monsters combined. And as you said, he has widespread recognition. Pretty much everybody has heard of him, even if most people probably don't know many specific details about him. But if you say 'Godzilla', people have at least a general idea what you're talking about. 'Gamera' or 'Ultraman' or whoever else... probably not so much.
That was just perfect. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! :D
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

While most if not all my friends don't see him as i do, I see as a metaphor for a future nuclear war...

Godzilla may not be like Transformer's, Pirates, Avatar but Godzilla has been mostly a Japan a product an hasn't has his proper introduction to the U.S. ...yet.

Godzilla 98 showed major potential in being huge, an Godzilla: The Series was insanely popular with all the kid's.. an i remember the T-Shirts an toys kids wore... Shame it was tainted by a crappy film.

Godzilla is a worldwide icon yes, but i believe if LPG turns out to be a tremendous hit it will take Godzilla to all new levels of popularity nobody could possibly have imaged.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

gatorzilla wrote:How do a lot of you fans look at Godzilla?
?
With our eyes.

Seriously, Godzilla is an icon known throughout the world. Godzilla has appeared in parodies, cartoons, and been joked about by people like Conan. Godzilla is one of Japan's best known exports.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I look at Godzilla as a internationally known pop culture icon. He is a metaphor for neclear war, he's been, a childfriendly superhero, a badass anti hero and a force of nature. He's not as popular as say Star Wars but with the LPG film I feel that it has some potential to make Godzilla more popular than he was before
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

As an Icon, a Force of Nature, a Way of Mother Nature of telling we need to change and stop with wars,etc.
And one of (if not best hobbie along Videogames) the reasons that i like Movies in the
first place.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

He's a major cultural icon, no doubt about it. Most people know what Godzilla is.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Gawdziller wrote:I look at him through a television set. Sometimes a theater screen if I'm lucky.
LOL.

But seriously, he has his name on one of those Hollywood Stars on that Walk of Fame or something. That alone makes him a major icon. Even Zilla proves that.

...Ya, I said that.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Mincecraft wrote: LOL.

But seriously, he has his name on one of those Hollywood Stars on that Walk of Fame or something. That alone makes him a major icon. Even Zilla proves that.

...Ya, I said that.
Exactly. Godzilla is inarguably an icon and a character all his own and is one of the most recognized names in all of monsterdom.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

A pop culture icon.

And he's not just a monster, he's an actual character like Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

Both. I see him as an iconic monster, in the pantheon of monsterdom with the likes of Frankenstein, Dracula, and Kong.