How do you get into your 'Writing Zone'?

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

MothraRocks
Futurian

How do you get into your 'Writing Zone'?

Post by MothraRocks »

Basically what the title says: What gets you in a writing mood? Figured maybe this thread could help with people who get writers block at times, or something. *shrugs*

What do I do...let's see.

1) Relaxed, usually plopped on the couch or bed. Somewhere comfortable.

2) Kinda let my mind wander through the story I have/I am planning to do.

3) Make bullet points of the plot for the fic. I try to follow them when writing the story.

4) Sometimes I read other fics or look into the subject I'm writing about to see if I can grow an idea.

You guys?
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Re: How do you get into your 'Writing Zone'?

Post by Kiryu2012 »

When I think about something funny or cool, like Gwangi breeding, or killer creatures on an isolated island, or just plain carnage, I can get in the writing mood. Though sometimes I can't really get into the writing mood after a few chapters.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm best at writing my stories when:

A) There's no background noise.
B) I have my iPod playing non-lyrical music.
C) I'm not overstressed with other things.

I also tend to get all my best ideas in warm water. Don't know why, but hey, it works.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

People motivating me like when they comment on my stories.
Taking a warm shower.
When I take a pill for my headaches aka happy pills (They give me happy thoughts and good ideas)
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I pretty much do everything you do MothraRocks execpt do pinpoints. I dont really plan ahead persay, but more of imagine what is/going to happen in my head. I try to visualize all the situations the potenital characters could face. Plus i like to listen to music, it helps relax and stimulate the mind.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

To focus on writing my KWC matches I...
1) Play music that fits the scene or tone. (Examples include New York, New York - Falling towards the Sky - We are one - Zone Fighter theme - Commence the Attack)
2) Watch actions scenes that fit the scene I am writing. (Red vs Blue stuff mostly or actual videos)
3) Read a KWC match related to my own
4) Research the monster's history
5) Write out the basic outline of the story
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

My inspiration comes randomly. When it does, I take that opportunity, lay down in bed, listen to some music (particularly music that fits the mood I'm trying to produce), and type my heart away on my iPod. Rarely have I used my computer to write up anything that shows up on the forums.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Ha, on the ipod huh? Interesting i always pictured your writting on the computer
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Too formal for me. :lol: I like to be somewhere where I feel relaxed, and whenever I'm in front of the computer I feel like I'm writing a damn essay. I hate that.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Ah thats a good point lol and now that i think about it, you writting on the Ipod actually sounds fitting...maybe i might incoporate that somehow into my story..hmmm

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Sounds good to me. 8-) lol

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Yeap, maybe a little memoires by Cesar at the end lol

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

When I have some free time sometimes I think about the story and certain scenes and play them over and over in my head. Sometime's when I'm the only person in the room, I'll talk the dialogue out loud so I can figure out how I want it interpreted and occationally even act out the motions. Humor is particularly difficult but if it make me laugh, someone will laugh too. Also, I get goosebumps about the scene, again, someone else will too.

Many times something will just pop in my head if I'm reading, watching something, or listening to a certain song.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

I can write my stories pretty much anywhere, so lnog as I have my laptop on me. Even in the noisiest classrooms, I can still get quite abit done...

But when I got some good Touhou music playing, then I get into overdrive. I can pump out a chapter or two in a few days just by listening to a few good music selections...

Fun fact: For ToG, all the chapter names are taken after music titles for the series, wherever they be original, or remixes...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Gexistentialist
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gexistentialist »

I pretty much write whenever I'm in the right mindset or when I have time. It's tough to be a senior graduating from high school and write fanfic at the same time.
Writer. Creator. Human Being.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Gexistentialist wrote:I pretty much write whenever I'm in the right mindset or when I have time. It's tough to be a senior graduating from high school and write fanfic at the same time.
Eh, it depends on your courses. I'm graduating this year, and yet I tend to have time to do more than a few fanficts... But yeah, I get waht your saying...
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

Well, I don't really write fan fics. Though I did contribute to Kane's old AvP story and got some compliments, so I may end up writing one someday. Anyways, when it comes to writing I have found these things help my creative thinking going:

1. You have to be comfy. Whether that be on a couch, in bed, or whatever. You just got to be comfy.
2. Sometimes having some music playing helps. Generally I have found that your thoughts and mood kind of change depending on what you are listening too. So if you are writing some more actiony stuff, try some rock or something. A more depressing scene? Try some slower, sadder music. The music may help get your mind in the right state to write something in that kind of mood.
3. Always visualize. This helps in two ways. First, if you read what you just wrote and can't visualize what is happening it won't work. If you are visualizing something and can't explain it plainly, well that won't work either.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I don't really have a zone now that I think about it. Whenever the mood hits me is when stuff often happens. I had just printed out Planet Kaiju recently and before I went to bed, I read it over and changed any dialogue I didn't like and added more descriptions to some rather vague areas or something that needed expanded on. After doing that, now the writing bug has bitten me again. I think I have Planet Kaiju to the point where I'm happy with everything. That was the way with WOTK. I kept going back and changing stuff that I didn't like. I learned my lesson to be very thorough this time instead of coming back every few months and changing something that I didn't care for but didn't change.

I can't wait to start Blackest Night: The Kaiju and the JLM.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Listening to fitting music help me a lot.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

HayesAJones wrote:Listening to fitting music help me a lot.
This. I listen to Al Bowlly and Fats Waller when I'm thinking of The Shining. It has a funny way of settling me into writing. Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin is great for some hardcore action scenes. If I want epic, I turn to Dream Theater and Boston. My musical artillery is fully loaded. :twisted: