TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Re: TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

He said he wishes for something like that to happen. Probably for the reasons you stated.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I will definitely watch this. I've always wanted to see Mothra and H-Man. Now I get my chance.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

UltramanGoji wrote:I will definitely watch this. I've always wanted to see Mothra and H-Man. Now I get my chance.
http://www.amazon.com/Icons-Sci-Fi-Coll ... 169&sr=8-1

I can't stress this enough. Everyone should own this. It's under $12.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I will definitely watch this. I've always wanted to see Mothra and H-Man. Now I get my chance.
http://www.amazon.com/Icons-Sci-Fi-Coll ... 169&sr=8-1

I can't stress this enough. Everyone should own this. It's under $12.
I'd rather watch on TV.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Oh well. You'll be watching them in fullscreen, and in English. Something to keep in mind.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote:Oh well. You'll be watching them in fullscreen, and in English. Something to keep in mind.
I rarely watch my Classic Media DVD's in Japanese. I really could care less about fullscreen too.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's cool. If you don't care that you're missing a ton of the picture, then all the power to you man.
Last edited by Goji on Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Wow, a pan-n-scan debate in 2012, who woulda thought?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Who knows. Maybe TCM will surprise us, and actually screen the restored Sony versions. They did play the Sony (international) version of SON OF GODZILLA a couple of years ago, which was pretty surprising.

I do know that one TCM's recent showings of THE H-MAN was still same old video master, and that wasn't even that long ago either.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Actually, i wouldn't be surprised if TCM shows the Japanese version of all four movies. They're most certainly showing the Japanese version of Godzilla, so I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say they'll be showing the other ones too. They seem to want to honor Honda in the proper way, which would be by showing the films the way Honda intended them to be seen: In his language.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I doubt they'll all be the Japanese versions, but we'll see. (Like I said earlier) They might just surprise us. Who knows.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

Does anyone else view the summer as the time for monster movies? I mean, I watch monsters all year long, but I really kick it up in June/July, my favorite time of year. I even write my annual Godzilla script then. It's just so awesome, spending time with my favorite things in the world, at my favorite time, usually with some of my favorite people.

Ah, the memories...Summertime, and the livin's easy...
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Looks like I'm recording these, will get to finally watch Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra. Hell Yeah

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Legion1979 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Goji wrote:Oh well. You'll be watching them in fullscreen, and in English. Something to keep in mind.
I rarely watch my Classic Media DVD's in Japanese. I really could care less about fullscreen too.
Having so much trouble wrapping my brain around this.
Yeah, I mean, I guess some people just don't care about seeing movies they way they weren't meant to be seen. And I'm not even just talking about in their original language; fullscreen is fucking terrible.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I always thought the least people in this fandom wanted was original language in OAR with subtitles.

Gexistentialist
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gexistentialist »

Bad. Ass.
Writer. Creator. Human Being.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Is everybody ready? :g2k:

I intend to watch Gojira, Rodan, and the H-Man. BTW, Dish Network lists Rodan as rated R. :lol:

Oh, and The Valley of Gwangi will be running too.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

I can't wait for this airing/ marathon, though people watching it, be sure to record the intros and outros with Robert Osborne (if he's going to host them), for historical reasons of course, I myself am going to v-blog the event to remember it. :)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I will set up my DVR tonight for each movie! :)

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I have Godzilla/Gojira & Rodan on DVD already. Don't have Mothra or H-Man, & haven't seen them in a while, so I'll probably tune in. Never seen "Hausu", so I'll check it out.