Godzilla: The Look/Appearance Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: The Look

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I do not understand the love for the Hesei face. I understand that its what most of the fans here grew up with, but I personally am not huge on the overly feline resemblance.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

godzillafan
Samurai

Post by godzillafan »

what if they screw up like they did the 1998 film
kaiju fan for life

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

godzillafan wrote:what if they screw up like they did the 1998 film
Doubtful seeing as they have already shown us some pretty promising promotional material.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Shows what they have in mind. It would be unwise to change the design drastically, seeing that it was actually well publicized throughout the Internet.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

I think that green would be a big mistake.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Green would be a mistake. They should go with the charocal gray. If they make his atomic ray orange or red even Americans that don't know a thing about the Big G will assume it's just fire which will annoy me.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I wouldn't mind Godzilla as a dark or mucky green. I think that's a good look. Not neon green.

But the breath has to be blue. There's really no way around this. But LP has already established that they know what colour it's supposed to be.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

In the LP shirt, is he depicted as having green hues? I'm a bit colorblind and can't tell. I feel like there's some green in there, but of course that doesn't mean that the film will depict his being green. Afterall, there's a long-standing tradition of Godzilla's appearing green in print/promotional material even though he never has (apart from 98-2000) in film.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Chris55 wrote:Godzilla should be TOTALLY naked in this movie
Then he would just be the guy in the suit without the suit on! :P

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

I see that the general consensus is that the T-shirt pic isn't the Godzilla that's going to be in the movie? Good, if that's true.

Way too much neck on that one. Head needs some work, too.

Honestly, I don't see why they really need a major re-model. Use the basic design, maybe augment some of his features, but keep the same shape. Even that CG Godzilla in the beginning of Always was MUCH better than the t-shirt pic.

Oh, and hello everyone, first post. Been reading here awhile, though.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Pacfanweb wrote:I see that the general consensus is that the T-shirt pic isn't the Godzilla that's going to be in the movie? Good, if that's true.

Way too much neck on that one. Head needs some work, too.

Honestly, I don't see why they really need a major re-model. Use the basic design, maybe augment some of his features, but keep the same shape. Even that CG Godzilla in the beginning of Always was MUCH better than the t-shirt pic.

Oh, and hello everyone, first post. Been reading here awhile, though.

I agree, but i believe the T-Shirt was just early promotion for movie, showing fan's it will respect the Japanese Godzilla with style with the blue atomic breath. Also i think it was a test to see fans reaction's much prior to the actual design being made to see if it was positive or negative. Majority did think it was positive an a step forward then the 98 Iguana. I do hope Legendary took the fan's opinion's on the face an neck to heart.. otherwise the body an spines look just fine.

I agree i Toho CGI Godzilla looked pretty damn good, it was a step in a different direction but it still respected the Godzilla appearance. Im hoping that is something along the lines of what Legendary has in store for there final design whenever it is actually released.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Well with what we saw with the Kraken in Clash of The Titans, and that gangley thing with the over bite in Cloverfield, What should we expect?

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Matt Frank has a pretty good Godzilla design(non NEO) along with a good Angurius(also non NEO) You can check them out on his KaijuSamurai deviantart page,

Here's the location: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/ ... ijusamurai

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:What if the red fins glow blue?

Talk about a sharp contrast.

That's too much of a contrast. No one would think that could work. Red and Blue make PURPLE.
Godzilla 2000's spines/fins were somewhat purple.

TPR
Young Farmer

Post by TPR »

I liked the G2000 dorsal plates originally, nice departure from the maple leaf style, more aggressive. However I think I prefer a scaled down version, more like GvMG, still sharper than the old style but not sooooo big.

As for color, I feel that whatever they go with breath wise (it would appear blue) then the fins should be the same. I do like the red-zilla posted above but that would be too distracting to some and jarring for others.

Here's how I thought the various intensities of beams could be done, with a new wrinkle or 2 thrown in.

You could have a quick blast, just a couple of blinks of the fins and a short stun burst

You could have a moderate blast, which would be similar to what the standard beam we know would emit...a number of more intense flickers of the plates then a more destructive burst (like the waterfront scene in G85) A long swath of fire could be produced.

Then you could have a full blast burst where Godzilla inhales and exhales several times, each with the dorsals building in intensity, the lighting becoming more solid and less flashing till he reaches full power when the plates are lit and not flickering...that could release a destructive blast or kill shot.

Now I think that with the effects we will have access to, they could even add (personal preference here) some electrical charges (like a plasma ball) between the fins, giving an even more impressive power display.

Some do not like the idea of him using his breath at full power could temporarily weaken him but I think it's a grand idea, we try to figure out how to get him to beam himself out, then try and take him down while his regeneration is slower...(silly us, it never works)

My .02 cents

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

Tyler wrote:Image

It is a bit odd.
Holy Mother of Godzilla! This is AWESOME! :huge:
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I think Kiryu Godzilla would look great in CGI/motion-capture. The suit was rather stiff, but with Hollywood-level special effects it would look spectacular!

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Oddly, the thing that bothered me most about the T-shirt Goji was the teeth. They seemed to sharklike....

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

I sure hope the comic con t-shirt of Godzilla is Godzilla himself and not like Zilla 98. I'm hoping these directors will do this right when the movie is out. I just hope fans will go see the movie and see the Godzilla we all know from the movies we have watched over the years since we were kids and not a mutated dinosaur like Zilla who btw is lame. We don't need to upset the japanese again like we did in 98.