New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Infinity »

I guess some people don't want his inclusion in the game. Anyhow if Mr.Simon does get the rights for him, I think he should be utilized in a different way then a standard fighter.

My idea on such characters revolves around Special cases. These cases would need to consist of stages that are designed to be different then regular stages in the sense that they offer slightly better graphics and sound effects and are meant to represent some segments of the true stories from the movies.

This does come after the development of the multiplayer VS mode but if people are talking about adding some kind of story to this then I'll suggest it anyway.

Special stage 1: Ginza 1954

Play as Shodai Godzilla 1954 and burn and destroy the city within 20 seconds. It would be like playing the movie on hard mode in the sense that the army will be much more in numbers and far more aggressive. They won't be able to hurt Goji but slow him down from completing the objective.

Special stage 2: Escape from the Ocean

You play as a scuba diver who has to escape Goji 54 within 20 seconds while Serizawa has activated the Oxygen destoroyer. It plays out like the movie, only this time you get to control Ogata and escape from Goji and the OD.

Special stage 3: Godzilla 1984

Play as SuperX 1 and neutralize Godzilla 1984 within 20 seconds.

Special stage 4: Godzilla 1998

Play as GODZILLA 98 (not zilla) and escape the city from gun fire and missle attacks. End the stage by going underwater, avoiding torpedos and then reaching a exit point.

Special stage 5: Alternate Storyline

This time you play as Shodai Godzilla you'll have to swim your way out from the ocean within 20 seconds before the oxygen destoroyer takes full effect. This should end with a nice image of Godzilla standing on burnt down city with a victory posture and a message stating "The King Lives".

Optional: Special stage 6: Final Showdown

Play as Shodai Godzilla and battle the original Mothra and Rodan, killing both of them. (This is only based on what kind of Mothra or Rodan we would get).

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Godzilla'54 is nothing more then a smaller Heisei Godzilla with a weaker beam. I don't see what's so special about him other then the fact that he's the first Godzilla.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Godzilla'54 is nothing more then a smaller Heisei Godzilla with a weaker beam. I don't see what's so special about him other then the fact that he's the first Godzilla.
Why are you questioning my preference for Shodai Goji here? We are talking about Ideas for the game, not why I happen to like him.

For the record I can say that showa king ghidorah is just a smaller Heisei ghidorah with weaker beams and that he has nothing special to offer other then the fact that he is the first ghidorah..
Whats so damn special about him...

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzilla '54 is "nothing more than a smaller Heisei Godzilla"? How, exactly?

Showa King Ghidorah's beams' are "weaker"? Since when?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

They have a very similar body build, they're movements are similar and they act similar. Heisei Godzilla is basically a bigger Godzilla '54.
Because he's Showa silly :P
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Because he's Showa silly :P
*coughYEScough*
Just kidding. Everyone has their own opinions.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
They have a very similar body build, they're movements are similar and they act similar. Heisei Godzilla is basically a bigger Godzilla '54.

Act similar? Its kinda hard to really sell that when Goji 54 displayed zero emotions and personality, while the Heisei Godzilla was the exact opposite. :lol:
And there movements aren't really similar, Heisei Godzilla tends to move around/react a lot more, during combat or whenever he's attacked, tends to be more involved despite looking sluggish, from biting, to lifting up and slamming down opponents, to tossing enemies, choking them, and stomping on them. Heisei Godzilla acts more lively, Godzilla 54 doesn't do that. Godzilla 54 tends to mostly act like Kiryu-Goji, standing there and taking any assault before returning fire.

Overall I kindly disagree with your opinion.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Hey I just thought of something for Kamacuras.

What if whenever the player uses invisibility, they go into first-person like the TF2 Spy, and against other players the screen splits, so the player that's invisible knows where they're going, while the other player doesn't know where they are.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Kiryu2012 wrote:Hey I just thought of something for Kamacuras.

What if whenever the player uses invisibility, they go into first-person like the TF2 Spy, and against other players the screen splits, so the player that's invisible knows where they're going, while the other player doesn't know where they are.
Now that's an awesome idea!
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

But if you're in a city, how can you tell where you're going if there's buildings all around you? Kamacuras isn't exactly the tallest kaiju.
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

godzilla898 wrote:

But if you're in a city, how can you tell where you're going if there's buildings all around you? Kamacuras isn't exactly the tallest kaiju.
Well he can fly, and since he's an insect it wouldn't be to outlandish to have Kamacarus walk on buildings.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

^Pretty much. Plus he could also detect his opponents like the Predator everytime he goes invisible.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

This doesn't work with local multiplayer. Other players can still see where you are, because they can still see the whole screen. It also doesn't work because a mid-match screen split is jarring and interrupts the tempo of play.

It also is a poor execution choice for online play, as, once again, the perspective change is jarring and there's no need for it when no one is around you.

Invisibility of any kind still works against the basic premise of two monsters fighting each other, not one monster fighting another monster.

People need to leave the whole invisibility thing alone. It's not a good idea.
bleep bloop

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Since we're getting into the subject of "how accurate should monsters be to their film incarnations" I thought I'd share some insights.

Original Godzilla & co. were about 50 meters tall. They grew over the years, eventually being about 100m tall.

When we started making G:DAMM, Toho had a very strict rule - all monsters needed to be relatively the same size. So we just kept Godzilla at 100m, and scaled the other monsters (with Toho's supervision) to be proportionately correct. So if King Ghidorah was originally 70m to Godzilla's 60m, we say "ok, so KG is 17% taller than Godzilla - so make him 117m."

Toho has not, in general, been willing to have things exist "as they were" - they have specifically wanted things updated to fit with the lastest monster incarnations.

The "stiffness" of monsters in the older films is a great example of this. Toho thinks of that stiffness as a technology constraint, not a true representation of the monsters. We tried doing some frame-for-frame copies of various monster moves, and Toho did not like it. Then we created Godzilla 2000's uppercut move - and they loved it. Toho told us that THAT was what they wanted all the monsters to be doing - jumping, swinging, and slashing with more freedom that they ever could in the movies.

I'm a bit surprised that several people here have complained about the speed of combat in the last few games - I've only heard people complain about how sluggish things were. I honestly prefer things to be slower and more tactical. We'll definitely discuss that at length early in the development process!

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

I assume that since this game isn't being made under normal terms, Toho won't have quite the power and control over how the game turns out?
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

godzilla898 wrote:I assume that since this game isn't being made under normal terms, Toho won't have quite the power and control over how the game turns out?
No - Toho will still have absolute control over the appearance and treatment of their monsters. There is no getting around that.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Mr. Strange wrote:There is no getting around that.
Travel back in time and install sleeper agents. It's the only way.
bleep bloop

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

You are thinking on the right lines Mr.Strange but it suprises me that Toho wanted all those goofy moves to be implemented in the game.

It certainly wasn't like that in Godzilla: Kaiju Daikessen or Godzilla Battle Legends. They had the basic jumping and dashing but everything else for the most part was pretty accurate to the character they represented. Very few things seemed slapstick and even those made the kaiju still look cool (I won't complain about Super Mechagodzilla's Long kicks as they made him look really badass in contrast to MG's kicks in G:STE or G:DAMM where it was a combination of bad posture and wacky move types that just didn't click with me.

jdude1996
GPN Volunteer

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by jdude1996 »

can anyone think up a moveset for Kamicuras?

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Infinity wrote:You are thinking on the right lines Mr.Strange but it suprises me that Toho wanted all those goofy moves to be implemented in the game.

It certainly wasn't like that in Godzilla: Kaiju Daikessen or Godzilla Battle Legends. They had the basic jumping and dashing but everything else for the most part was pretty accurate to the character they represented. Very few things seemed slapstick and even those made the kaiju still look cool (I won't complain about Super Mechagodzilla's Long kicks as they made him look really badass in contrast to MG's kicks in G:STE or G:DAMM where it was a combination of bad posture and wacky move types that just didn't click with me.
Well, movies don't have to worry about realism in some of the ways a video game does. Film Ghidorah can't kick his legs - they simply don't bend that way. So nobody bothered to make his legs long enough to kick effectively. Since we are dealing with ridgid skeletons and meshes, we can't arbitrarily change the proportion of his body to make things work - so when he kicks, we have to twist and contort his body to get his feet out away from his body to the point where they can actually connect.

2D games can simply draw bigger limbs during the attack frames - to get around this issue easily.

Before G:U monster couldn't stack on top of one another, so moves like Ghidorah's big stomp attack were really hard to get working. There was a lot of behind-the-scenes cheating on that attack, as I recall!

Anyway, none of you should be worried about this sort of technical detail. Let's try running a list of attacks, and we'll let people weigh in on which ones they like or don't like. That would be useful data to have.