New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby matrix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Mr. Strange, how much does the average building cost to make in the game?
matrix
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 pm

matrix wrote:Mr. Strange, how much does the average building cost to make in the game?

That's not really something that costs "per-building." If I were to hire a competent artist to make buildings, I'd be looking at ~$45,000 or so. Probably get a few hundred buildings out of that contract.
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Rody wrote:I might as well throw some ideas out, since I do have SOME interest in this.... :)

Giant Monster Planet
Monster Battlefield Earth
World Monster Arena
Ultimate Monster War
Giant Monsters Unleashed
Grand Monster Battle Royale

I think these are all good, but none are quite good enough. I'm encouraged that everyone seems to be thinking along the same general lines though. That's good!
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:33 pm

That's not so bad. I'd consider it a worthy price. I always thought the arenas were some of the best aspects of the Godzilla games outside of the monsters themselves.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Postby hammysammy59 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

If we somehow manage to get Gabara in the game, I'd love to see him really live up to his bully personality through his moveset--I think he'd make a great semi-joke character. Three words: Electrified. Wet. Willy. Picture it. Also a special move where does the old "Quit hitting yourself!" thing would be fantastic. If Godzilla monsters wore pants, you know he'd be giving out atomic wedgies any chance he got.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby Oasis_S » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Isn't there a price for the use of more iconic buildings? Or some kind of legal thing? Thought I read forever ago that there was a reason that some buildings couldn't be used. Not sure which.

I'd be fine if there was just one generic "city" stage if it lessened the cost and workload. Totally want a VOLCANO stage. Loved Seattle in Unleashed.
Oasis_S
Samurai

Favourite Kaiju: Gabara

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Oasis_S wrote:Isn't there a price for the use of more iconic buildings? Or some kind of legal thing? Thought I read forever ago that there was a reason that some buildings couldn't be used. Not sure which.

I'd be fine if there was just one generic "city" stage if it lessened the cost and workload. Totally want a VOLCANO stage. Loved Seattle in Unleashed.

Ah yes, we would need to obtain the rights to use trademarked landmarks.
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby jdude1996 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:16 pm

mr strange, when did you say the game discussion forum will go live?
jdude1996
Yojimbo

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

jdude1996 wrote:mr strange, when did you say the game discussion forum will go live?

It will go live once funding gets underway. Remember, the only way to find view/post about the game is to donate!
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Oasis_S » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:21 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:If we somehow manage to get Gabara in the game, I'd love to see him really live up to his bully personality through his moveset--I think he'd make a great semi-joke character. Three words: Electrified. Wet. Willy. Picture it. Also a special move where does the old "Quit hitting yourself!" thing would be fantastic. If Godzilla monsters wore pants, you know he'd be giving out atomic wedgies any chance he got.

Yeees, I love the idea of Gabara in the game. The Godzilla games have always been good with giving or bringing out the personalities of monsters. Gabara is such a goofy character full of CAMP. He'd be a great addition. One of his winning poses should definitely be a "cool guy" pose with his arms crossed. You just know he thinks he's the greatest when he really isn't. Joke character really fits him well. Maybe the Dan Hibiki of Godzilla, lol.

Anyway, he should have a move where he charges his body with electricity (he would probably be stationary during this), and anyone who HITS him will be stunned (like with MKG's projectile). I like the idea of him having a gimmick where he can charge his fists with electricity to augment the power of his punches. Maybe change their elemental type as well? A nightmare for any mechanical monster.

I also like the idea of him having one really powerful (probably an uppercut) electrical punch, that when it connects it causes a blinding flash on the screen and sends the opponent flying. It'd be great if it was accompanied with a THUNDER sound effect. Since it would be so powerful, he should have a long, goofy "winding up" animation to go with it, lol.
Oasis_S
Samurai

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:56 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:If we somehow manage to get Gabara in the game, I'd love to see him really live up to his bully personality through his moveset--I think he'd make a great semi-joke character. Three words: Electrified. Wet. Willy. Picture it. Also a special move where does the old "Quit hitting yourself!" thing would be fantastic. If Godzilla monsters wore pants, you know he'd be giving out atomic wedgies any chance he got.

Gabara is one of the few monsters I see hitting below the belt. Even most evil monsters don't do that.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby jdude1996 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Well Oasis_S im keeping track of what monsters everyone wants and Gabara is almost at the top of the list, just 1 tier under most wanted monsters, so he just might be added to the game
jdude1996
Yojimbo

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59 pm

You know I got to thinking, if we can't make Kamacaura's invisibility to work out normally in gameplay we could just have it be a rage move. The rage move could be once you activate it he flies forward right at the enemy and if the hit connects he automatically turns invisible and automatically starts flying around super fast, hitting the enemy with a barrage of claw swaps from several directions, front, side, behind, and the final hit knocks the enemy on the ground and Kamacura's turns visible again.

If player activates the rage attack and the first strike does not connect then the rage move is immediately canceled. The first strike must hit or just cancels.

jdude1996 wrote:Well Oasis_S im keeping track of what monsters everyone wants and Gabara is almost at the top of the list, just 1 tier under most wanted monsters, so he just might be added to the game

How far up is Zone Fighter?

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

You know I got to thinking, if we can't make Kamacaura's invisibility to work out normally in gameplay we could just have it be a rage move. The rage move could be once you activate it he flies forward right at the enemy and if the hit connects he automatically turns invisible and automatically starts flying around super fast, hitting the enemy with a barrage of claw swaps from several directions, front, side, behind, and the final hit knocks the enemy on the ground and Kamacura's turns visible again.

If player activates the rage attack and the first strike does not connect then the rage move is immediately canceled. The first strike must hit or just cancels.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby jdude1996 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Living Corpse, Zone Fighter is one of the most wanted monsters, he is in the top tier
jdude1996
Yojimbo

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Postby Showa Gyaos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

1. Godzilla (Showa)
2. Hedorah (Showa)
3. Zilla
4. Monster X
5. Zone Fighter
6. Keizer Ghidorah
7. Kumonga (Showa)
8. Godzilla (2000)
9. Orga
10. Varan
11. Gorosaurus
12. Godzilla (Heisei)
13. Megalon
14. Titanosaurus
15. King Ghidorah (Showa)
16. Anguirus (Showa)
17. Biollante
18. Rodan (Heisei)
19. Bagan <--Sorry guys. I had to. :P
20. Battra

EDIT: Swapped Gabara for Orga, and Ebirah for Varan.
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby hammysammy59 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Doesn't Manda have like, little tiny baby arms? T-Rex style? I feel like his whole move set should revolve around constricting, coiling, biting, head-butting and tail slapping. The only way I could see him using his limbs in combat without it looking hilarious would be to slice and claw an opponent he's already wrapped around.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

What about Kumonga; have we already discussed him?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Favourite Kaiju: Megalon; Gigan; King Ghidorah; Destoroyah

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Postby Oasis_S » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Grayshot954 wrote:^No hey dude that was just like a baseline for how many monsters sine their are going to be alot in the game and I wanted everyones submissions to be somewhat close.

Well, alright, NEW LIST THEN:

1. Godzilla (Final Wars)
2. Anguirus (Showa)
3. Rodan (Heisei)
4. Megalon
5. King Ghidorah (GMK)
6. Mecha-King Ghidorah
7. Destoroyah
8. Orga
9. Kiryu
10. Mothra (SOS)
11. Baragon (GMK)
12. Spacegodzilla
13. Megaguirus
14. Moguera (Heisei)
15. Jet Jaguar
16. Biollante
17. King Caesar (Final Wars)
18. Titanosaurus
19. Varan
20. Obsidius
21. Krystalak
22. Gigan (Final Wars)
23. Hedorah (Showa)
24. Battra
25. Zilla
26. Monster X
27. Ebirah (Final Wars)
28. Gabara
29. Manda (Final Wars)
30. Gorosaurus
31. Kamacuras (Final Wars)
32. Kumonga (Final Wars)
...33. Bagan

...I really don't like having multiple incarnations of one monster, and personally I would want them cut (except maybe MKG) if it means more NEW monsters (variety!), but if that's really what fans want then it can't be helped. I also only really care about Godzilla monsters, so I don't have any monsters from other series.
Oasis_S
Samurai

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:Doesn't Manda have like, little tiny baby arms? T-Rex style? I feel like his whole move set should revolve around constricting, coiling, biting, head-butting and tail slapping. The only way I could see him using his limbs in combat without it looking hilarious would be to slice and claw an opponent he's already wrapped around.

They could always increase his arm length, like how they completely changed the back legs of Anguirus and Baragon.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby matrix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Mr. Strange, I think online play will add replay value, put this also will, what if like super smash bros melee, you have to do a ton of battles in vs. mode to unlock some characters? Like, do 100 battles to unlock Titanosaurus, is this a good idea?
matrix
Yin-Yang Master

PreviousNext

Return to Toho Video Games