New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Mr. Strange »

If there is a Rage meter - we could mix up attack attributes such that some attacks deal low damage, but build the meter - while heavy damage attacks don't build the meter as much. I'm thinking of players building their own meter here.

We could also have attacks which drain the opponent's rage meter?

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Mr. Strange wrote:We could also have attacks which drain the opponent's rage meter?
That can work, the type of attacks that drain the rage meter could be called a "Rage Breaker"
Although I'm still wondering what attacks could drain the opponent's rage meter...Maybe heavy Knockdowns can cause the meter to drain? Like maybe one or two specialized heavy attacks that knocks/throws your target down can reduces the opponent's meter. I say specialized because they are different from normal heavy attacks since they mostly damage/reduce the rage meter, and do very little health damage. (Or possibly no health damage at all to make the battle go on long enough so that the player has the chance to use his/her rage attack?)

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

ゴジラ wrote:...Or possibly no health damage at all to make the battle go on long enough so that the player has the chance to use his/her rage attack?
Now that's some sneaky [alternate skreeonk] right there, lol.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by Oasis_S »

I like Clash a lot. Goes well with what I had in mind.

Definitely vote a for Clash of Monsters.

And about that Kaiju thing, my only concern would be one of MARKETABILITY. If you're trying to convey what the game is about, then using "Monster" makes it IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS what it's about to anyone. Not a whole lot of the general audience is going to understand right away what "Kaiju" means. I mean, if they have an image of Godzilla to go with it, THAT'S ENOUGH OF A CONTEXT CLUE, but if the game appears on a simple list or whatever, it won't be obvious. Don't really know when that would occur exactly. Review sites? I JUST WANT IT TO BE SUCCESSFUL.

I'm sure some fans would appreciate "Kaiju," but that's kind of an exclusive audience to be catering to when you're trying to appeal to everyone.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Mr. Strange, you mentioned only having maybe a couple cities. I'm guessing Tokyo and New York?

Will the idea be more like in G:U, where stages are meant to feel more varied by offering different... atmospheres? I was going to say maybe a stage inspired by that CRETACEOUS SCENE in Rebirth of Mothra 3 would be nice. Having little tiny dinosaurs walking around and what not. Pterosaurs in the air. Though, I'm not sure going from designing BUNCHES of buildings to designing LIVING, ANIMATED THINGS is the best of trade-offs. Plus if they were interactable, that could only mean SQUISHING.

You also mentioned an ocean level, and immediately I thought it'd be neat if you were actually UNDER THE SEA, stomping through coral reefs, with whales and schools of fish swimming around. Whales could take the place of UFOs, and instead poop out power-ups.

But again there's that problem of interaction.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Oasis_S wrote:Mr. Strange, you mentioned only having maybe a couple cities. I'm guessing Tokyo and New York?

Will the idea be more like in G:U, where stages are meant to feel more varied by offering different... atmospheres? I was going to say maybe a stage inspired by that CRETACEOUS SCENE in Rebirth of Mothra 3 would be nice. Having little tiny dinosaurs walking around and what not. Pterosaurs in the air. Though, I'm not sure going from designing BUNCHES of buildings to designing LIVING, ANIMATED THINGS is the best of trade-offs. Plus if they were interactable, that could only mean SQUISHING.

You also mentioned an ocean level, and immediately I thought it'd be neat if you were actually UNDER THE SEA, stomping through coral reefs, with whales and schools of fish swimming around. Whales could take the place of UFOs, and instead poop out power-ups.

But again there's that problem of interaction.
Oooorrr...you could pick up and throw a Brachiosaur at your opponent. Here-tell has it sauropods are more fragile than we've thought. OmyGod, that would be such a fun minigame! How many sauropods can you kill by chucking them at your opponent?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Oasis_S »

Kind of confused here. Is this supposed to be what we want the roster to be, or what NEW additions we want? Because I wouldn't want to cut anyone from Unleashed, but if we had to stick to the 20 monster limit, then I'd prefer a FEW NEW faces.

SO... For a whole 20 monster roster:
1. Godzilla (I really couldn't care less. They could make their own and combine features and moves from various Godzillas because I only want one. I guess I would pick Final Wars since that design is the most recent and does sort of combine previous designs.)
2. King Ghidorah (GMK)
3. Mothra (SOS)
4. Mechagodzilla (Kiryu)
5. Anguirus (Showa)
6. Rodan (Heisei, though Final Wars is fine too.)
7. Gigan (...Kind of a sucker for the Showa design.)
8. Megalon
9. Destoroyah
10. Spacegodzilla
11. Biollante
12. Baragon (GMK)
13. Orga
14. Megaguirus
15. Moguera (Heisei)
16. Jet Jaguar
17. King Caesar (Final Wars)
18. Titanosaurus
19. Varan
20. Hedorah (Showa)
21. ...EVEN THOUGH IT'S OVER THE LIMIT Battra as a not-clone.

Now, if it's just for newcomers and how I would prioritize them:
Hedorah
Zilla
Monster X
Ebirah
Battra
Gabara
Manda
Gorosaurus
Kamacuras
Kumonga

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Greyshot151 »

^No hey dude that was just like a baseline for how many monsters sine their are going to be alot in the game and I wanted everyones submissions to be somewhat close.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

How about instead of a fighting game, it's a dancing game, and we call it Monster Mash.
bleep bloop

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Legionmaster wrote:How about instead of a fighting game, it's a cross over with the classic war comedy, and we call it Monster M*A*S*H.
Now we're talking.
Haters gonna hate

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange wrote:Clash is a good word. I really like it at the beginning - not so strong at the end.

"Clash of the Kaiju" is totally good. Or just "Clash of Kaiju"

"Clash of Monsters" is also pretty sweet.

I'm not sure I agree that avoiding "Kaiju" is a good idea - I have mixed feelings. It's certainly up for debate!

I think my top three options right now are:

1 - Kaiju Combat
2 - Clash of Monsters
3 - Monster Apocolypse
Do Kaiju Combat! It's awesome!

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Supergeon wrote:I guess so? Maybe the defensive rage could include limited invulnerability time (starman from mario), I would say G2K's atomic shockwave rage could be considered a defensive rage with all of the push back. It is 12:32am where I'm at so I am not necessarily in the best thinking mode right now (long work day, followed by another long work day!)
Didn't MKG have that in Save the Earth? Of course, my memory could be a bit rusty.
Bit late to say this, but yes, yes he did, I would know because I still play it.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

What if the monsters move slower and maybe even have their attacks weaken the more damage they take? Would it be possible to animate fatigued monsters a little differently than monsters that are operating at full power? Nothing drastic, but still noticeable.

I think it'd be pretty awesome, and definitely drive up the cinematic atmosphere of the game. After a long, grueling battle, you and your opponent are staggering, your fighting is getting a little sloppy, until finally your exhausted monster KOs your opponent. You could even have ending animations that tie into the fact that your monster is just WHIPPED. I also think the changing state of your monster would be a much cooler indicator of health than a health bar. De-clutters the HUD a little bit, and puts more emphasis on the monster.

EDIT: Following up on this idea, let's assume the health power-ups are not returning. Let's also add on the concept of your rage meter building up depending on how much of a beating you're taking (I'd prefer it to build up based on damage dished out/taunts, but devil's advocate). For the most part, monsters like Mothra aren't what I'd consider particularly raging. What if instead of triggering a rage attack, when Mothra's bar fills up, she can give herself a health boost? In the movies we see monsters re-energize themselves pretty regularly (a maybe impossible-to-implement example: Toho Kong getting struck by lightning). If the rage meter is multi-tiered, I could totally see a health boost as one of Godzilla's rages, miming his "regen."
Last edited by hammysammy59 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haters gonna hate

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

In general, making hurt monsters weaker is bad - because it makes things very one-sided. But your point is well-taken.

So - do you know what Mothra's Rage attack is in StE? I always get a kick out of people suggesting things that are already in the game... it happes so frequently that I always think someone must be trying to bait me.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Not trolling, honest. I didn't have an Xbox or PS2 so I never got the chance to play StE until way after the fact: my Pipeworks gaming is almost entirely DAMM and GU.

I could see how monsters getting weaker could be a game-breaker, but would a rage meter that builds based on abuse taken alleviate that? Maybe they move a little slower/erratically, but their built up rage makes them hit harder? Not to mention cashing in their rage meter for a special attack/ability.
Haters gonna hate

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Meters are always a bit troublesome - because they provide fuzzy information, instead of concrete. We really need to decide how "fuzzy" vs. "tournament-y" we want the fighting to be in this game.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I am one-hundred percent in camp fuzzy. I want fights to feel wild and organic, like the monsters themselves, and the movies they come from. The mathematical precision of tournament fighters makes perfect sense for games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat: games where highly disciplined martial arts masters go toe-to-toe in a tournament setting--but we're dealing with gigantic, rabid monsters brawling each other's faces off. Fuzzy all the way.

I think it'd be AWESOME if all (or at least most) pertinent monster information was indicated by your monster's animation/looks/behavior rather than meters/bars. Your monster getting low on health? You can tell because his tail is dragging and his shoulders are slumping. Is your monster raging? You can tell because a little rage icon appears next to him, or his spines are glowing.
Last edited by hammysammy59 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haters gonna hate

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Fuzzy. I am in no way, shape, or form a serious gamer. When I get on STE, I play to relieve my stress by whooping monster arse. I'm not mathmatically determining and plotting my moves.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Kaiju Armageddon.

I want something that sounds Earth-shattering.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by W2daERN »

MechaJahgeezilla wrote: I kid, but really, why can't this be in the big topic?
because this is a completely different topic. The big thread is about the game in general. movesets have not been discussed, only specific abilities like rage attacks. Plus, we don't even know what controls the new game will use, so this thread could just be for movesets in general.

That said, here are my movesets for Kumonga and Ebirah if they were in GU:

Kumonga:

A: stabs forward with one front leg
B: swipes with one front leg

A + up: stabs forward with both front legs
A + down: stands up on middle 4 legs with front two legs in the air and stabs forward with back two legs.
A + right: stabs with first two right legs
A + left: stabs with first two left legs

B + up: swipes downward with front two legs
B + down: pulls back front two legs, then swipes upward with a flicking motion
B + right: swipes left with first two right legs
B + left: swipes right with first two left legs

AB + up: jumps in the air and spins, swiping opponent's head with all 8 legs
AB + down: lowers to the ground and spins, swiping opponent's feet with all 8 legs
AB + right: jumps toward opponent and spins to the right, pushing opponent backwards
AB + left: jumps toward opponent and spins to the left, pushing opponent backwards

Beam Hold: Web
Beam Tap: Stinger
Throw: Jumps onto opponent and bites
Grab object: grabs object with front two legs, then carries it above head and walks with remaining six legs

Ebirah:

A: punches with large claw
B: punches with small claw

A + up: draws back large claw, then lunges it forward, knocking opponent backwards
A + down: draws large claw upward, then slams it down
A + right: draws large claw to the right, then slaps left
A + left: draws large claw to the left, then slaps right

B + up: draws back small claw, then stabs forward
B + down: draws small claw upward, then slices downward
B + right: draws small claw to the right, then slashes left
B + left: draws small claw to the left, then slashes right

AB + up: lowers to the ground with claws pointing forward and tail in the air, then lunges, stabbing opponent with both claws
AB + down: does a backflip, slapping opponent with tail
AB + right: opens large claw and crushes opponent
AB + left: opens small claw and cuts into opponent

Beam Hold: ??
Beam Tap: ??
Throw: grabs opponent in large claw, then throws upward and slams forward with tail as opponent falls
Grab object: grabs object with large claw, then carries it up and to the right
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo