New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Zilla103192 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm

skreeonk YES.

If you guys can make a Primal Rage pack, I will donate INSTANTLY.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby Jahgee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

If we get a Boxing Ring, can we also get an UFC Octagon?
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
I'm the Akili Smith of TK Admins :lol:

Jahgee
TK Forum Staff Emeritus

Geiger Counter

Team: Nice Dynamite

Postby Supergeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

I wonder if IDW will show this project any love with a shout out in the comics. That would be something worth looking into.
Supergeon
Yojimbo

Postby matrix » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?
matrix
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Supergeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

matrix wrote:I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?

A lot of the questions you are asking have been answered already matrix. Not to be mean, but just do a little digging around.

September will be the soonest that contributors will receive a ROUGH build of the game in progress. Nothing has been stated for pictures or trailers. I'm assuming as contributors we will be under an NDA as far as posting or leaking information elsewhere or capturing video and putting it on other websites other than the projects private forums.
Supergeon
Yojimbo

Postby matrix » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Supergeon wrote:
matrix wrote:I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?

A lot of the questions you are asking have been answered already matrix. Not to be mean, but just do a little digging around.

September will be the soonest that contributors will receive a ROUGH build of the game in progress. Nothing has been stated for pictures or trailers. I'm assuming as contributors we will be under an NDA as far as posting or leaking information elsewhere or capturing video and putting it on other websites other than the projects private forums.

So yes on beta in september? Thanks! PS ill keep digging!
matrix
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Supergeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:42 pm

I'd like to touch on something that was brought up earlier on in the discussion. The idea that the more a monster gets hit may build a third meter probably a rage meter.

My idea is that as you get hit, the meter will spike at each hit instead of continuing to build incrementally akin to a Street Fighter super bar.

Each hit will make the meter spike more, so the attacking monster wants to deal damage but be wary of the rage meter. The defending monster wants to reduce the damage taken, but if they are in a tough spot they can take advantage of where their rage meter is at before it goes back down. Try to visualize each spike in the meter like trying to fill a meter by tapping a button as fast as possible, each second that you are not pressing the button it is already decreasing at a rapid rate right?

What will the defending monster be able to do as the meter fills? I propose that there are three sections of the meter and that the more the meter is filled the more options are available. Think Unholy War by Crystal Dynamics for PS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tS6VPYCYc start viewing at 2:26

First section- A stronger or EX version of a normal attack

Second section- A unique advantage or buff. Defense/Health/Attack/Speed boost that would expire over time.

Third section- Rage attack such as Final Breath.

To avoid abuse/overuse of rage you may either need to trigger "rage gathering mode" somehow, and it would probably have to have a cooldown of sorts.

Any ideas to expand on this?
Supergeon
Yojimbo

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Supergeon wrote:I'd like to touch on something that was brought up earlier on in the discussion. The idea that the more a monster gets hit may build a third meter probably a rage meter.

My idea is that as you get hit, the meter will spike at each hit instead of continuing to build incrementally akin to a Street Fighter super bar.

Each hit will make the meter spike more, so the attacking monster wants to deal damage but be wary of the rage meter. The defending monster wants to reduce the damage taken, but if they are in a tough spot they can take advantage of where their rage meter is at before it goes back down. Try to visualize each spike in the meter like trying to fill a meter by tapping a button as fast as possible, each second that you are not pressing the button it is already decreasing at a rapid rate right?

What will the defending monster be able to do as the meter fills? I propose that there are three sections of the meter and that the more the meter is filled the more options are available. Think Unholy War by Crystal Dynamics for PS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tS6VPYCYc start viewing at 2:26

First section- A stronger or EX version of a normal attack

Second section- A unique advantage or buff. Defense/Health/Attack/Speed boost that would expire over time.

Third section- Rage attack such as Final Breath.

To avoid abuse/overuse of rage you may either need to trigger "rage gathering mode" somehow, and it would probably have to have a cooldown of sorts.

Any ideas to expand on this?

This could work, but you also have to consider the attacking player's desire to utilize a rage move during his assault. The way you explained the rage mechanics made it sound as if it's the defense trump card. The offensive player also needs a way to build up his rage meter as well. If the player is that good (playing to the point where he can easily score several consecutive victories without taking damage himself), and if the rage meter is built by receiving damage, how is the offensive player to raise the meter?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Favourite Kaiju: Megalon; Gigan; King Ghidorah; Destoroyah

Postby Supergeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Good bring up. I was hoping to start some conversation on this tonight.

Maybe the rage will be half blue and half red, when on the offensive it spikes towards the red side and gives you offensive options
Lvl 1 EX attack Lvl 2 Attack speed boost, Attack damage boost Lvl 3 Rage
..and on the defensive it tends towards the blue
Lvl 1 Quick dodge Lvl 2 Beam defense boost, Melee defense boost Lvl 3 Rage
Supergeon
Yojimbo

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Supergeon wrote:Good bring up. I was hoping to start some conversation on this tonight.

Maybe the rage will be half blue and half red, when on the offensive it spikes towards the red side and gives you offensive options
Lvl 1 EX attack Lvl 2 Attack speed boost, Attack damage boost Lvl 3 Rage
..and on the defensive it tends towards the blue
Lvl 1 Quick dodge Lvl 2 Beam defense boost, Melee defense boost Lvl 3 Rage

:eh:
Soooo...it's possible that there could be 2 rage moves; offense vs. defense rage moves?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Supergeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I guess so? Maybe the defensive rage could include limited invulnerability time (starman from mario), I would say G2K's atomic shockwave rage could be considered a defensive rage with all of the push back. It is 12:32am where I'm at so I am not necessarily in the best thinking mode right now (long work day, followed by another long work day!)
Supergeon
Yojimbo

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Postby hammysammy59 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm

I think the word "Clash" gets across the idea of monsters coming together, and even hints at the loophole of mixing and matching monster packages. I like the sound of "Clash of the Monsters." If you play around with it, you can get stuff like "Worldwide Monster Clash" which A. Helps it sound less like Clash of the Titans, B. plays up the online aspect, and C. Hints at a wide world of monsters, not just Toho creatures/Japanese monsters.

And I agree, I'd prefer to avoid using the word kaiju in the title. It's just going to sound like otaku nonsense to anyone outside the super hard-core Japanese sci-fi/fantasy fan community--which ideally we'll be able to tap into for donations and to foster a healthy online community when the game launches.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Supergeon wrote:I guess so? Maybe the defensive rage could include limited invulnerability time (starman from mario), I would say G2K's atomic shockwave rage could be considered a defensive rage with all of the push back. It is 12:32am where I'm at so I am not necessarily in the best thinking mode right now (long work day, followed by another long work day!)

Didn't MKG have that in Save the Earth? Of course, my memory could be a bit rusty.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby Mr. Strange » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Clash is a good word. I really like it at the beginning - not so strong at the end.

"Clash of the Kaiju" is totally good. Or just "Clash of Kaiju"

"Clash of Monsters" is also pretty sweet.

I'm not sure I agree that avoiding "Kaiju" is a good idea - I have mixed feelings. It's certainly up for debate!

I think my top three options right now are:

1 - Kaiju Combat
2 - Clash of Monsters
3 - Monster Apocolypse
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 pm

If there is a Rage meter - we could mix up attack attributes such that some attacks deal low damage, but build the meter - while heavy damage attacks don't build the meter as much. I'm thinking of players building their own meter here.

We could also have attacks which drain the opponent's rage meter?
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby ゴジラ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:We could also have attacks which drain the opponent's rage meter?

That can work, the type of attacks that drain the rage meter could be called a "Rage Breaker"
Although I'm still wondering what attacks could drain the opponent's rage meter...Maybe heavy Knockdowns can cause the meter to drain? Like maybe one or two specialized heavy attacks that knocks/throws your target down can reduces the opponent's meter. I say specialized because they are different from normal heavy attacks since they mostly damage/reduce the rage meter, and do very little health damage. (Or possibly no health damage at all to make the battle go on long enough so that the player has the chance to use his/her rage attack?)
ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:14 pm

ゴジラ wrote:...Or possibly no health damage at all to make the battle go on long enough so that the player has the chance to use his/her rage attack?

Now that's some sneaky [alternate skreeonk] right there, lol.
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Oasis_S » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 pm

I like Clash a lot. Goes well with what I had in mind.

Definitely vote a for Clash of Monsters.

And about that Kaiju thing, my only concern would be one of MARKETABILITY. If you're trying to convey what the game is about, then using "Monster" makes it IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS what it's about to anyone. Not a whole lot of the general audience is going to understand right away what "Kaiju" means. I mean, if they have an image of Godzilla to go with it, THAT'S ENOUGH OF A CONTEXT CLUE, but if the game appears on a simple list or whatever, it won't be obvious. Don't really know when that would occur exactly. Review sites? I JUST WANT IT TO BE SUCCESSFUL.

I'm sure some fans would appreciate "Kaiju," but that's kind of an exclusive audience to be catering to when you're trying to appeal to everyone.
Oasis_S
Samurai

Favourite Kaiju: Gabara

Postby Oasis_S » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 pm

Mr. Strange, you mentioned only having maybe a couple cities. I'm guessing Tokyo and New York?

Will the idea be more like in G:U, where stages are meant to feel more varied by offering different... atmospheres? I was going to say maybe a stage inspired by that CRETACEOUS SCENE in Rebirth of Mothra 3 would be nice. Having little tiny dinosaurs walking around and what not. Pterosaurs in the air. Though, I'm not sure going from designing BUNCHES of buildings to designing LIVING, ANIMATED THINGS is the best of trade-offs. Plus if they were interactable, that could only mean SQUISHING.

You also mentioned an ocean level, and immediately I thought it'd be neat if you were actually UNDER THE SEA, stomping through coral reefs, with whales and schools of fish swimming around. Whales could take the place of UFOs, and instead poop out power-ups.

But again there's that problem of interaction.
Oasis_S
Samurai

Favourite Kaiju: Gabara

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:08 am

Oasis_S wrote:Mr. Strange, you mentioned only having maybe a couple cities. I'm guessing Tokyo and New York?

Will the idea be more like in G:U, where stages are meant to feel more varied by offering different... atmospheres? I was going to say maybe a stage inspired by that CRETACEOUS SCENE in Rebirth of Mothra 3 would be nice. Having little tiny dinosaurs walking around and what not. Pterosaurs in the air. Though, I'm not sure going from designing BUNCHES of buildings to designing LIVING, ANIMATED THINGS is the best of trade-offs. Plus if they were interactable, that could only mean SQUISHING.

You also mentioned an ocean level, and immediately I thought it'd be neat if you were actually UNDER THE SEA, stomping through coral reefs, with whales and schools of fish swimming around. Whales could take the place of UFOs, and instead poop out power-ups.

But again there's that problem of interaction.

Oooorrr...you could pick up and throw a Brachiosaur at your opponent. Here-tell has it sauropods are more fragile than we've thought. OmyGod, that would be such a fun minigame! How many sauropods can you kill by chucking them at your opponent?
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Postby Oasis_S » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 am

Kind of confused here. Is this supposed to be what we want the roster to be, or what NEW additions we want? Because I wouldn't want to cut anyone from Unleashed, but if we had to stick to the 20 monster limit, then I'd prefer a FEW NEW faces.

SO... For a whole 20 monster roster:
1. Godzilla (I really couldn't care less. They could make their own and combine features and moves from various Godzillas because I only want one. I guess I would pick Final Wars since that design is the most recent and does sort of combine previous designs.)
2. King Ghidorah (GMK)
3. Mothra (SOS)
4. Mechagodzilla (Kiryu)
5. Anguirus (Showa)
6. Rodan (Heisei, though Final Wars is fine too.)
7. Gigan (...Kind of a sucker for the Showa design.)
8. Megalon
9. Destoroyah
10. Spacegodzilla
11. Biollante
12. Baragon (GMK)
13. Orga
14. Megaguirus
15. Moguera (Heisei)
16. Jet Jaguar
17. King Caesar (Final Wars)
18. Titanosaurus
19. Varan
20. Hedorah (Showa)
21. ...EVEN THOUGH IT'S OVER THE LIMIT Battra as a not-clone.

Now, if it's just for newcomers and how I would prioritize them:
Hedorah
Zilla
Monster X
Ebirah
Battra
Gabara
Manda
Gorosaurus
Kamacuras
Kumonga
Oasis_S