New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Oasis_S »

Awh, but it'd be like the Godzilla game's own little Giga Bowser type character (or I guess more accurately Landmaster). :3

Though I would agree that just because Mothra can do it doesn't mean we need any more characters to hop on her gimmick wagon. Was hoping to add a bit of variety to the idea of transformation type monsters. Like with Hedorah, crouching (probably combined with another button) could transform him into his land form to make him more agile. Standing brings him back to normal. Holding the jump button could transform him into his flying form. I suppose each would have energy costs? Adapting to his environment is more in tune with his character at least than my suggestion for Monster X's type of transformation. Variety is just the very best.

Oh yeah, I'm kind of obsessed with proper scaling, so I would enjoy a mode that scaled monsters according to their height compared to Godzilla. Obviously, having a 50m Baragon up against a 150m Biollante (assuming Godzilla was 100m) would present a few problems, but in some cases I think that'd almost be the point. It'd make the canonically small monsters have a disadvantage to the canonically big. Purposely creating unevenness. I can't rationally say it's the best of optional mode ideas, but my irrational love for proper scaling compels me to mention it.

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm fine with Boundaries, I mean don't get me wrong, a free roaming sandbox Godzilla game would be amazing to play if pulled off well but be a total nightmare to actually make and get to work.

As long as the arena is HUGE so I don't run into a wall a lot I'm fine with boundaries.
I think you found the problem. Almost every battle in GU ends with both monsters pummeling eachother at one of the walls. Even if there are walls eventually, they should at least be far enough away from the main map that the battle doesn't naturally move there (i.e. far enough away from crystals/buildings that there's no reason to get close to them).
Mr Strange wrote:I've tried a few complex building iteractions over the years, but they tend to be hard to use. The main problem is that the monsters are so FAST. Pushing a building onto another monster sounds awesome, but it practice it was basically impossible when monsters can jump half a mile in 1 second. If we slowed down the monsters a good deal, then we could try things like that - but everyone seems pretty addicted to speed, so I doubt we'll see that.
Personally, I'm actually not that big a fan of speed. I always used the slowest monster setting on GU, and it still felt too fast-paced for giant city-crushing juggernauts.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:It sounds reasonable that a younger fan may have first encountered a character like Megaguirus in a video game. Her film wasn't widely available or aired in the US at the time.
Huh? The film had already premiered on Sci-Fi, and had been available on DVD for at least a year by the time G:STE was released.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

When does the new games beta test start?

Post by matrix »

I'm going to pay enough to beta test, so when does it start? I can't wait to try it! :g2k:

Zilla103192
Keizer

Re: When does the new games beta test start?

Post by Zilla103192 »

There is no official announcement when the game will even begin production. Let alone a beta test.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

matrix wrote:I'm going to pay enough to beta test, so when does it start? I can't wait to try it! :g2k:
This question is answered in the thread "Matt/Chris/Simon talk about the new game." First post.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Ohhh, so the beta is released march 1st. :g2k:

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I just have no idea what you're talking about. How could a beta have been released last month if the game hasn't even started development yet? Where did you get that info? Do you mean March of next year? If so, where did you get that info? I'm completely baffled here.
Haters gonna hate

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

hammysammy59 wrote:I just have no idea what you're talking about. How could a beta have been released last month if the game hasn't even started development yet? Where did you get that info? Do you mean March of next year? If so, where did you get that info? I'm completely baffled here.
Yes next month, go to the topic that Simon metioned before in this thread. :g2k:

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Got it. IGNORE ME

Though it sounds like the beta will be available prior to the tentative March '13 launch.
Haters gonna hate

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

W2daERN wrote:
Mr Strange wrote:I've tried a few complex building iteractions over the years, but they tend to be hard to use. The main problem is that the monsters are so FAST. Pushing a building onto another monster sounds awesome, but it practice it was basically impossible when monsters can jump half a mile in 1 second. If we slowed down the monsters a good deal, then we could try things like that - but everyone seems pretty addicted to speed, so I doubt we'll see that.
Personally, I'm actually not that big a fan of speed. I always used the slowest monster setting on GU, and it still felt too fast-paced for giant city-crushing juggernauts.
This, so much this. If speed is what has to be sacrificed for more, and more meaningful building interactions, sign me up! These are gigantic monsters, it just makes sense for them to move a little slower.
Haters gonna hate

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Hey Simon, if you guys make enough money, will you bring back boxing arena from Godzilla: Save the Earth? :g2k:

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

No. The game will hopefully be RELEASED March of next year. Contributors will be getting in-progress builds as soon as September of this year.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

matrix wrote:Hey Simon, if you guys make enough money, will you bring back boxing arena from Godzilla: Save the Earth? :g2k:
The Boxing Arena (a flat, featureless environment) is at the top of my list - because it's trivial to create.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange wrote:No. The game will hopefully be RELEASED March of next year. Contributors will be getting in-progress builds as soon as September of this year.
Ohhhh (again) Thanks to much Simon! :g2k:

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

This game already has enough threads going for it. Stop making new threads just to ask a question that could easily go in one of them.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

So if your going to have grapples, we should think of some, for Titanosaurus, he should do what he did in the movie, bite him to pick him up, then beat him down with punches! :g2k:

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Not to hate on the Boxing Ring, but could we use something new, like an MMA octagon?
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Simon, when you say, contributers will be getting in game builds around september, does that mean there will be previews around september, or beta is around september? :g2k:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

^ Please. Stop. Using. The G2K smiley. At. The End. Of Every one of your frickin' posts.

Thank you.

Boxing Ring better be in. I remember my little cousin used to stage actual WWE type tournaments with the local kids.