New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
User avatar
W2daERN
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 am

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Postby W2daERN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Goji wrote:Well, I made my list extra complicated by saying "Showa, but I'd by okay with X version", which probably didn't help.


I think a lot of us feel the same way. For example, I voted for Millenium Anguirus, Ebirah, etc. but would rather have the Showa versions than not have them in. Like I said in my last post, I think that the roster should be decided by total votes (i.e. "Godzilla" vs. "Anguirus") and then decide which version by version votes (i.e. "Showa Godzilla" vs. "Heisei Godzilla").
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

User avatar
W2daERN
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 am

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby W2daERN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:14 pm

^ agreed. GU needed all those different buildings only because it's schtick was being able to fight in real-world cities. I wouldn't mind some generic cities, but I would prefer some more wide-open environments like islands, valleys, and plains, with few or no buildings. The one thing I'd like to suggest is to get rid of the invisible walls. I'd prefer natural barriers like cliffs or mountains, or even just leave barriers out entirely. The GU maps were large enough that most players would get bored of wading through the water long before reaching the edge, and all the interesting stuff was right outside (like the volcano).
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

User avatar
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Mr. Strange » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Living Corpse wrote:Off topic, Mr. Strange I'm sure you've been asked this a million times, and I'm sorry but who's your favorite monster? :lol:


Varan. Giant flying squirrels are amazing.

Gigan was my go-to monster for DAMM and StE, so I probably made him a bit better than he should have been. Dhalsim was my main in Street Fighter, and I really wanted to get a teleport move in, and Gigan seemed like a natural choice.

I have a lot of love for most of the monsters - especially the ones I was able to get some really weird mechanics in for. Megaguirus is just awesome - I think I end up defending her a bunch, because she doesn't get much love online. MOGUERA is a holy terror in the hands of someone who knows how to play it strategically.

W2daERN wrote:^ agreed. GU needed all those different buildings only because it's schtick was being able to fight in real-world cities. I wouldn't mind some generic cities, but I would prefer some more wide-open environments like islands, valleys, and plains, with few or no buildings. The one thing I'd like to suggest is to get rid of the invisible walls. I'd prefer natural barriers like cliffs or mountains, or even just leave barriers out entirely. The GU maps were large enough that most players would get bored of wading through the water long before reaching the edge, and all the interesting stuff was right outside (like the volcano).


I've heard that suggestion a ton - but how, exactly could we get away with not having boundaries? Every game has boundaries - Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur - EVERY GAME has boundaries. I don't understand why "having boundaries" seems like some sort of transgression in the G games...

Monster Island, in GDAMM, used a natural look for the boundaries. It was a huge problem. The advantage of the semi-transparent boundaries is that the camera can still see the action if it goes to the other side of them. We had to put in special camera code to cover the Monster Island case, and it just broke a bunch of gameplay in that environment.

Nobody ever complains that Rodan cannot fly infinitely high - or that Megalon cannot burrow down to the center of the earth - I wonder why the boundaries are such an issue? I suspect it might be the rebound effect they provide - it makes them seem very powerful. But fun fact - the boundaries have NEVER dealt damage to the monsters in any of my games. And when they did not repel monsters, it was really strong to corner your opponent and just wail on them forever - the bounce-off effect was designed to prevent that sort of abuse.

User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land
Contact:

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Megaguirus has always felt like the most unique character in the rosters of both STE and GU. Not always my go to monster, but she certainly kicked ass.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

User avatar
Godzillabrawler
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Watching Harem Anime

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Godzillabrawler » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:Megaguirus is just awesome - I think I end up defending her a bunch, because she doesn't get much love online.


Megaguirus is fun to play as in STE. She's so hard to play as or against in Unleashed. I swear, if Megs is put in this game, I'm fighting for a refined STE playstyle for her.
"They can call you savior, destroyer, monster... all that matters... is what you choose."

User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby hammysammy59 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Ha whoops! Looks like there was some Megaguirus discussion between the last few posts about cities and buildings and this one. I don't mean to derail, I just wanted to throw in my two cents on cities/buildings:

I'd be cool with smaller arenas that only have one or two large, iconic buildings. But at the same time I'd want to be able to interact with that one or two building(s) in a variety of different ways. All three Pipeworks games let you destroy and take cover behind buildings, so of course I'd want those options to come back. DAMM (can't remember if it was in StE and GU as well) let you throw monsters up against buildings, which was hugely satisfying and fun--I'd definitely like to see that come back. In addition to those, I'd like to see the ability to push the building over on top of a player (especially a downed player)--I think it would be cool if this could be done physically, or with a beam. Finally, as was mentioned a few pages ago, I'd love to see smaller, more agile monsters like Zilla be able to scale and leap from buildings. This of course, would give other monsters the option to bring the building down while a monster is climbing it or perched on it.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, part of the appeal of giant monsters is watching them destroy famous landmarks, and in a lot of cases I think you can boil a city down to one or two world-famous sites. If NYC is a level, I want either the Empire State Building or Lady Liberty. If Tokyo is a level, I want the Tokyo Tower or the Diet Building. It was awesome that the Pipeworks games had huge sprawling cities, but I don't need that whole urban jungle to play in. Just give me a landmark, and a variety of ways to creatively trash it, especially if it's at the expense of my opponent's well-being.
Haters gonna hate

User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land
Contact:

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:47 pm

The building environments always were some of the most entertaining parts of the game. Throwing buildings, throwing monsters into buildings, using buildings as melee weapons, and of course the grenade like tanks from the first and second games were always a blast. They are honestly part of what I missed in GU.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

User avatar
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Mr. Strange » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I'd be cool with smaller arenas that only have one or two large, iconic buildings. But at the same time I'd want to be able to interact with that one or two building(s) in a variety of different ways. All three Pipeworks games let you destroy and take cover behind buildings, so of course I'd want those options to come back. DAMM (can't remember if it was in StE and GU as well) let you throw monsters up against buildings, which was hugely satisfying and fun--I'd definitely like to see that come back. In addition to those, I'd like to see the ability to push the building over on top of a player (especially a downed player)--I think it would be cool if this could be done physically, or with a beam. Finally, as was mentioned a few pages ago, I'd love to see smaller, more agile monsters like Zilla be able to scale and leap from buildings. This of course, would give other monsters the option to bring the building down while a monster is climbing it or perched on it.


I've tried a few complex building iteractions over the years, but they tend to be hard to use. The main problem is that the monsters are so FAST. Pushing a building onto another monster sounds awesome, but it practice it was basically impossible when monsters can jump half a mile in 1 second. If we slowed down the monsters a good deal, then we could try things like that - but everyone seems pretty addicted to speed, so I doubt we'll see that.

Interacting with beams & buildings is also trouble. We ended up just auto-targeting beams on opponents, because controlling beams was so hard for most players. Hitting a particular target, or a particular building was pretty much impossible.

I actually played with a Baragon pounce-on-buildings sequence back in the day, but it just wasn't interesting or practical. Jumping is the major "get past these buildings" mechanic, and it was poor design to overload it with "stick to buildings" as well.

I want to encourage more suggestions for monster-building interactions - because I keep hoping that one of them will inspire me with part of a solution for making buildings more interesting in the way fans want.

User avatar
Supergeon
Yojimbo
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am
Location: Michigan

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Supergeon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:I've heard that suggestion a ton - but how, exactly could we get away with not having boundaries? Every game has boundaries - Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur - EVERY GAME has boundaries. I don't understand why "having boundaries" seems like some sort of transgression in the G games...

I think that complaint is in every video game that gives you the ability to free roam to some degree. In Godzilla you are given a 3D world to run around in, in Uncharted/God of War/Call of Duty etc you are also in a 3D world. There are walls for a reason.

Mr. Strange wrote:Nobody ever complains that Rodan cannot fly infinitely high - or that Megalon cannot burrow down to the center of the earth - I wonder why the boundaries are such an issue? I suspect it might be the rebound effect they provide - it makes them seem very powerful. But fun fact - the boundaries have NEVER dealt damage to the monsters in any of my games. And when they did not repel monsters, it was really strong to corner your opponent and just wail on them forever - the bounce-off effect was designed to prevent that sort of abuse.


Why cant Rodan burrow to the center of the earth, come to think of it Megalon cant fly either? :huge:

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3916
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Megaguirus has always felt like the most unique character in the rosters of both STE and GU. Not always my go to monster, but she certainly kicked ass.


I remember my first meeting with Megaguirus as Mechagodzilla III. And because I had not seen the film at the time, the last thing I was expecting was her speed.

Needless to say, I got my but kicked twice in a row. Although that still isn't nearly as bad as my first introduction to Destoroyah in DAMM. :freak:
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.




User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land
Contact:

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:23 pm

It sounds reasonable that a younger fan may have first encountered a character like Megaguirus in a video game. Her film wasn't widely available or aired in the US at the time.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3916
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Megaguirus has always felt like the most unique character in the rosters of both STE and GU. Not always my go to monster, but she certainly kicked ass.


I remember my first meeting with Megaguirus as Mechagodzilla III. And because I had not seen the film at the time, the last thing I was expecting was her speed.

Needless to say, I got my but kicked twice in a row. Although that still isn't nearly as bad as my first introduction to Destoroyah in DAMM. :freak:


Sounds like you met a lot of monsters in the games before you saw their films.


Before DAMM, I owned six Godzilla films: King of the Monsters, Mothra vs Godzilla, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, Terror of Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla 2000. I had also rented Sea Monster, DAM, Hedorah, and Raids Again, but I could only remember Godzilla's fights with Anguirus, Godzilla's last fight with Ebirah, Ghidorah beating on Anguirus, and the infamous cat scene. And even then, I only remembered it vaguely. I also knew Megalon from the game: Godzilla Domination.

So yeah, I did meet a lot of the monsters. Even though I thought Mechagodzilla 2 represented the one in Terror of Mechagodzilla for a while.

So I guess I have to thank the DAMM and STE for raising my interest in Godzilla high enough to look him up on the internet and learn about the franchise, and later watch all the movies.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.




User avatar
Godzillasylum
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Postby Godzillasylum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

When I get the chance I will donate some cash, but my main concern is if this is a downloadable game on Stream, what will the system requirments be? Cause im going to donate no matter what but donating to a game my PC might not handle when it comes out might be fraustrating, and my computer isn't really what you would call high end lol
Good hunter... May you find your worth in the waking world.

User avatar
Supergeon
Yojimbo
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am
Location: Michigan

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Postby Supergeon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:21 pm

-Ganimes
-Kamoebas
-Gezora
-Zilla
-Battra
-Gorosaurus
-Manda
-Godzilla (Showa Megalon suit)
-Hedorah
-Mothra (GMK) awesome design

After typing that I realized this is the D-list of the monster roster.

User avatar
Supergeon
Yojimbo
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am
Location: Michigan

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Supergeon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Played some G:U, it's been a long time. The matches seem kind of slow/boring, I'm trying to think of something that would speed them up and make them exciting.

I was also trying to think of other ways to interact with buildings, the only thing that comes to mind is when Godzilla kills Hedorah in FW. For those who remember the buildings coming out of the ground when "Hedebirah" collided with them. So instead of the monster hitting the building and falling down, it would be cool to them actually crash through them.

But, I guess we might not be looking at stages with too many buildings so maybe a new building mechanic isn't needed.

User avatar
Oasis_S
Samurai
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Oasis_S » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Is it at least safe to say that fans want Obsidius more than, say, the giant condor or giant octopus.


Totally wish I had the money to back my Gabara support.


I guess TK did a bit of cleaning up? Couldn't find my old account.

User avatar
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: Shalimar, FL
Contact:

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:It sounds reasonable that a younger fan may have first encountered a character like Megaguirus in a video game. Her film wasn't widely available or aired in the US at the time.


Well, how about an old fan who simply didn't have the monetary resources to purchase his own copy of certain movies prior to the release of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee? The first monsters I met when the aforementioned game was in my possession were Destoroyah and Mecha-King Ghidorah. I knew of Orga, as Godzilla 2000 was readily available at the Wal-Mart I worked at (small-town guy I am, sheesh...).
I couldn't figure out how Mecha-King Ghidorah came about until I recorded a midnight programming of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah on the Sci-Fi channel. At first, I thought this was the old 1965 movie (oh how wrong I was). When I watched my recording, I was surprised at the visual changes made during the Heisei era (didn't even know about the different eras until after my Godzilla awakening). After that, I made it a personal goal to get a hold of all the different Godzilla movies I could get my hands on. I eventually went on to purchase my own copies of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II, and Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. After watching Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II, I realized this version of MechaGodzilla was the one used for Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (I knew there was something off about the design for MechaGodzilla there, but prior to watching the movie, I couldn't place my finger on what that was).
When Godzilla: Save the Earth came out, I was introduced to 2 more kaiju: Megaguirus and Kiryu; and I think this was the point where I found out about Godzilla: Final Wars. I didn't get to watch the 2 movies concerning the 2 kaiju until last year (no kidding). Reason for that big of a delay in watching those 2 movies was not due to financial issues this time around; rather, my attention was simply elsewhere at the time.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

User avatar
Oasis_S
Samurai
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:03 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Oasis_S » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:20 am

Since Monster X has a dumb name that doesn't work with the search function, I'll go ahead and ask this:

Would it still be impractical for Monster X to transform into Keizer Ghidorah? Since we're dealing with the same engine, I'm guessing yes. Which would be too bad. Has the idea been tossed around that Kezier Ghidorah could essentially be a powerful attack (like the "rage" attacks)? I don't quite recall what would have made the transformation so difficult to create, but with this at least, it would drastically reduce the amount of animations to create (especially if Keizer Ghidorah could not be harmed or grabbed). Basically Monster X would transform into Keizer Ghidorah for a few seconds, with access to maybe only three attacks (bite, stomp, ...tail), plus a beam attack and a grab move. I'd like to think having running and jumping animations wouldn't be necessary, as I see it as a "IF I CATCH YOU, you're gonna hurt" kind of move, but I guess there could be problems with that depending on the terrain.

User avatar
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Mr. Strange » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 am

Oasis_S wrote:Since Monster X has a dumb name that doesn't work with the search function, I'll go ahead and ask this:

Would it still be impractical for Monster X to transform into Keizer Ghidorah? Since we're dealing with the same engine, I'm guessing yes. Which would be too bad. Has the idea been tossed around that Kezier Ghidorah could essentially be a powerful attack (like the "rage" attacks)? I don't quite recall what would have made the transformation so difficult to create, but with this at least, it would drastically reduce the amount of animations to create (especially if Keizer Ghidorah could not be harmed or grabbed). Basically Monster X would transform into Keizer Ghidorah for a few seconds, with access to maybe only three attacks (bite, stomp, ...tail), plus a beam attack and a grab move. I'd like to think having running and jumping animations wouldn't be necessary, as I see it as a "IF I CATCH YOU, you're gonna hurt" kind of move, but I guess there could be problems with that depending on the terrain.


The problem was one of memory allocation. On consoles, you have very limited memory. If we want 4-monsters on screen at once, we need to allocate memory for the environment, and then four blocks of memory for the monsters. Monster X and Keiser Ghidorah are both big, complex monsters (unlike Mothra Larva and Mothra), so it would be very difficult to put them both into one memory allocation.

On their own, each monster would be fine. And if we gave up on ever being on console, we could easily up our memory budget. But none of those sound like really good ideas. I'm happy to leave full-on transformation between forms as a special case Mothra thing.

Brianzilla2004
Ronin
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:30 am

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Brianzilla2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

Idea for beam battle mechanics:

As the beam battle wages, the monsters become exhausted, gaining fatigue. The typical battle could be viewed like this at the beginning...

Godzilla - - - - X - - - - Mothra

Godzilla and Mothra are on equal grounds, meaning they become fatigued at the same rate. In this state, both monsters are filling their "Fatigue Bar" up 20% per second. However, button prompts appear next to each monster. Hit the correct face button (A, B, X and Y) and the battle shifts in your favor. So if there's an X next to Godzilla, and the player presses X, the balance of the battle will shift like this:

Godzilla - - - X - - - - - Mothra

So now Godzilla only gains 16% fatigue per second, while Mothra's rate of exhaustion increases to 24% per second. From here, Godzilla can take his advantage even further by pressing the correct button again:

Godzilla - - X - - - - - - Mothra

OR, Mothra could hit the correct button and set the battle back to an its initial setting:

Godzilla - - - - X - - - - Mothra

First monster to fill their "Fatigue Bar" loses. Alternatively, first monster to press the wrong button loses.

Some variations among monsters could be made here as well. For example, a monster with a more powerful beam could start out getting less fatigued than an opponent. A beam battle initiated between Godzilla 2000 and Space Godzilla could look something like this:

Godzilla 2000 - - - X - - - - - Space Godzilla

So Godzilla only fills his fatigue gauge 16% at the start, while Space Godzilla fills his 24%.

Assuming elemental damage makes a comeback, this could also play a role in how beam battle advantages are awarded. King Ghidorah could get the upperhand over Godzilla with his electric attack, since that's Godzilla's weakness.

Another variable would be the number of potential buttons to press. Some monsters would have A, B, X and Y, while others with better balance and accuracy could have A, B and X.

I hope that made sense... Sometimes I'm not the best at expressing my ideas.


Return to “Toho Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests