Cabin in the Woods

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 am

RedZillaKing wrote:...good reason! I loved this movie. It turns horror conventions upside down. Kind of like Scream...but good. The creature rampage was my favorite part of the film. The ending however was very weak. Its very much a sign of the times that the twp so called heroes let the world burn because they were too cowardly/ selfish to do what needed to be done.


Doesn't that make it a strong ending though? It adds to the commentary. Aintitcool had a very cool little article about the ending and how it really ties into the theme of the film I'll post it here just add to the fun. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54997
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Proofpoochie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:42 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It's sad that the The Three Stooges made more money then this movie. I think it will do better the second week due to the word of mouth.


I hope it does better next week. The Three Stooges looks like absolute shit while this is movie is terrific.
Xbox Live Gamertag: Proofpoochie
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby HayesAJones » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT. This was insane. Easily one of the craziest, most imaginative films, horror or not, I've seen in a long time. Always kept me guessing, and the giant rampage...THAT RAMPAGE. Was very welcome, 'cause I had literally thought, "man, I wish we could see some of those instead of the zombies guys" when the big betting board was shown. Nice sprinkles of tongue-in-cheek too. I think one of the best parts was how you didn't know who to cheer for by the end. The protagonist who you've watched live and fight for their lives, or the antagonist who are doing a dirty deed for the good of the entire world?

Ya' know, this was almost too big for a movie. I could see this as a TV series or mini-series. Different episodes could show us successful rituals, rituals that go only a bit astray, rituals from the others cultures, show us a different monster for each one, and all while hinting and poking towards the whole ancients thing. The finale would be the crew of the movie of course, with all the creatures from previous rituals showing back up for the climatic massacre.
User avatar
HayesAJones
Mean Green Mother
 
Posts: 8309
Team: Team Krelborn
Favourite Kaiju: Anguirus
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:19 pm
Location: From past the stars and beyond the moon

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Proofpoochie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:08 pm

HayesAJones wrote:Ya' know, this was almost too big for a movie. I could see this as a TV series or mini-series. Different episodes could show us successful rituals, rituals that go only a bit astray, rituals from the others cultures, show us a different monster for each one, and all while hinting and poking towards the whole ancients thing. The finale would be the crew of the movie of course, with all the creatures from previous rituals showing back up for the climatic massacre.


That would be a cool idea. This movie was so crazy and original. I loved every second of it!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Proofpoochie
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby RedZillaKing » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:04 pm

I just have one thing to say: Merman.
RedZillaKing
 

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Proofpoochie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:23 pm

RedZillaKing wrote:I just have one thing to say: Merman.


Haha, LOVED that part! Oh, and the Unicorn!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Proofpoochie
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Don't spoil some of the surprises people.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Proofpoochie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:Don't spoil some of the surprises people.


Sorry, it's just hard not to talk about the film. There are so many great moments.

Oh, and who else loved seeing a certain horror icon near the end of the film? :D
Xbox Live Gamertag: Proofpoochie
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Hipster Thor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 pm

01100101 01101110 01100011 01100101 00101110 00100000 01001001 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01110100 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101111 01101111 01101110 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110010 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100111 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101010 01110101 01100100 01100111 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101101 00101110
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Futurian

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Ethan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:29 pm

^Did you just become a computer?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"
User avatar
Ethan
G-Grasper
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Megalon-5 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm

He has been assimilated by Master Control.
"Someone could walk up to me with a loaded gun to my head and threaten "let go of TK or you will die!" You'd think I'd let go then? No. I would demand he just do it."-Alienhulk

Image
User avatar
Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 998
Team: Monster Attack Team
Favourite Kaiju: Kanegon
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: The Cave of the Past

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Hipster Thor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 am

Wasn't me. My friend's younger brother was skreeonking around on my laptop.
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Futurian

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby dogora » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 pm

still yet to see this not sure thogh :?
User avatar
dogora
Samurai
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:32 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby RedZillaKing » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 pm

See it.
RedZillaKing
 

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Proofpoochie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:While the critics love the movie, there has been a lot of the negativity on twitter and facebook. Seems to be from people who went in expecting a serious horror film. CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade moviegoers gave the film was C and D+ from female moviegoers. The movie does have a budget of 30 million, I doubt it's going to flop.


People are stupid and don't understand satire.
Xbox Live Gamertag: Proofpoochie
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Hipster Thor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:While the critics love the movie, there has been a lot of the negativity on twitter and facebook. Seems to be from people who went in expecting a serious horror film. CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade moviegoers gave the film was C and D+ from female moviegoers. The movie does have a budget of 30 million, I doubt it's going to flop.


That's because the "average moviegoer" is too stupid to realize that what they were expecting was as stupid as they are, and they couldn't accept something that wasn't what they expected or were used to. They also did not understand, or did not appreciate that another huge part of the movie is making fun of the stupid masses. The whole movie is like a cinematic inside joke, but on a grand scale.
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Futurian

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:05 am

I just saw it, I enjoyed it.... It REALLY picked up towards the end which is what made the movie for me an probably most people that saw it.

Some great skreeonking horror icon's were in it, an LOL at Merman comment... You seriously gotta watch it to understand why it's funny.

I can understand people wanting to talk about it, i do to but ill respect people who haven't seen it yet.. It's worth the watch, def continue watching till the end it's the best part that's all i'll say for now.
XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Svitska Donkun wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:While the critics love the movie, there has been a lot of the negativity on twitter and facebook. Seems to be from people who went in expecting a serious horror film. CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade moviegoers gave the film was C and D+ from female moviegoers. The movie does have a budget of 30 million, I doubt it's going to flop.


That's because the "average moviegoer" is too stupid to realize that what they were expecting was as stupid as they are, and they couldn't accept something that wasn't what they expected or were used to. They also did not understand, or did not appreciate that another huge part of the movie is making fun of the stupid masses. The whole movie is like a cinematic inside joke, but on a grand scale.


That's a little harsh. It's odd that other people don't like it, but insulting their intelligence seems a bit too extreme.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Hipster Thor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:While the critics love the movie, there has been a lot of the negativity on twitter and facebook. Seems to be from people who went in expecting a serious horror film. CinemaScore polls reported that the average grade moviegoers gave the film was C and D+ from female moviegoers. The movie does have a budget of 30 million, I doubt it's going to flop.


That's because the "average moviegoer" is too stupid to realize that what they were expecting was as stupid as they are, and they couldn't accept something that wasn't what they expected or were used to. They also did not understand, or did not appreciate that another huge part of the movie is making fun of the stupid masses. The whole movie is like a cinematic inside joke, but on a grand scale.


That's a little harsh. It's odd that other people don't like it, but insulting their intelligence seems a bit too extreme.


No. No it isn't. The average American movie goer is a moron. Box office numbers support this.
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.
Image

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Futurian

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm
Location: Who wants to know? ;)

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Except films with good reviews typically make more money than those that don't. If you look at some of the highest grossing movies each year, most of them hot there because of good word of mouth and reviews. The Transformers films did well because of the well liked first film.

Anyways, we've had this discussion before and I care not to get into it again.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land

Re: Cabin in the Woods

Postby Ethan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 pm

You know Svistka, I generally think you're a good debater and all. But this "[insert film here] is succesful because moviegoers are idiots" is both disrespectful and exhibits a certain superiority complex.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"
User avatar
Ethan
G-Grasper
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Media Center

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users