Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

Post by JVM »

Gabara's father - where he gets his power and hair from.

Use this to discuss Toho's King Kong, from either King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) or King Kong Escapes (1967), although keep in mind the two Kongs are different in the two movies.
Last edited by JVM on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

Post by HayesAJones »

A very cool monster within Toho or otherwise. One of the fathers of the genre. His victory over Godzilla was well-deserved.

But the whole electricity thing is weird.

Shadowplay
Samurai

Post by Shadowplay »

JVM wrote:Gabara's father - where he gets his power and hair from.
That explains so much. But on topic, you've got to love the original, even if his Toho design is less than perfect.
"Mercy is the mark of a great man." *jab* "Guess I'm just a good man." *jab* "Well, I'm alright."

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

People still say that this is the worst version of King Kong in the character's history

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Wait.. if Kong is Gabara's dad, who's his mom?

Shadowplay
Samurai

Post by Shadowplay »

HayesAJones wrote:Wait.. if Kong is Gabara's dad, who's his mom?
Well, Gabara's got green, scaly skin, so maybe Gorosaur- OH GOD CANNOT UNSEE.
"Mercy is the mark of a great man." *jab* "Guess I'm just a good man." *jab* "Well, I'm alright."

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Shadowplay wrote:
HayesAJones wrote:Wait.. if Kong is Gabara's dad, who's his mom?
Well, Gabara's got green, scaly skin, so maybe Gorosaur- OH GOD CANNOT UNSEE.
No, no, no, Gorosaurus's has blue-gray, scaly skin. So... Ogra maybe? *shudder, shudder*

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

I figure Baragon must have made one of those famous leaps at Kong's backside and 9 months later Gabara was born. Where else would he get the horn?

Anyway, although I liked the movie, I think Toho missed the point of Kong in the same way Emmerich missed the point of Godzilla. He doesn't have the spirit.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho found a good foe for Godzilla in Kong. Their Kong update was fine, and the fight between Kong and Godzilla was one of their best. One can understand why Toho gave Kong an electric touch when dealing with a dinosaur with a flamethrower, but his muscle and intellect could have done the job as well. Toho made a Kong that worked well, but the suit in KKE was lacking.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I love the Toho Kong. No particular reason, I just like him. I liked Toho's take on the character, and the electricity thing was a unique touch (even if it was basically ripped off from Willis O' Brian's original treatment of his "King Kong vs. Frankenstein" idea.) The actor that played Kong was also awesome (his name escapes me).

Obviously, Toho's take on Kong is nothing compared to the (origina)l 1933' interpretation of Kong, but he's got his own charm.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Shoichi Hirose.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The Toho Kong is my favorite to be honest, I find the blank expression on his face to be priceless, i find his fight scene's with Godzilla to be funny as hell. I also take into account that Toho spent what half or more of the films budget to even get the right's for King Kong so the cheap suit was expected.

There's really no logical reason i can come up with to explain why i like Toho's Kong esp over the 05 remake an others i just find him more entertaining to look at. It's like watching a drunken man with electric finger's an a hairy suit fight a flame-thrower.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I like the films he's in, but not so much himself. I'd say his execution was somewhat lackluster given what Tsuburaya was capable of. It was probably intentional though.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Im a big fan of both the look and the character changes that toho made. Kong is such a crafty, tenacious brute. And the electrcuty thing was fantastic to even the fight. Loved it. One of my favorite Toho monsters.

Also I like the design. It's much better then the KKE with it's dead eyes and strange cartoony proportions.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Hellspawn28 wrote:What did Willis E. O’Brien think of Toho's Kong?
He was apparently "heartbroken" when he heard the news that Toho was making KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (long story), but he died the same year it was released (1962). I don't believe he lived long enough to be able say anything about it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Who knows if he saw anything on or about the film. He would have had to seek out information on it back then, and that just seems rather unlikely from someone who was screwed over by John Beck because of the project. I kind of doubt he read Famous Monsters Of Filmland, which probably would have been American's only real exposure to that film (prior to it's release) here in America.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

I really HATE to say it, really I do, but the suit used in the crappy 1975 King Kong remake was better than that suit.

Armor Mothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Armor Mothra »

King kong never really caught my attention, I don't know why, he's just too...I can't explain it, I guess I just plain don't like the character.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Aside from the suit I liked King Kong in this film. And I really enjoy the Giant Octopus scene where it shows Kong for the first time in KKvG. Did I mention that is was the second Godzilla film I'd ever seen? The first being G2k.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

GodzillaDude
Futurian

What do you think of the KKvG version of Kong?

Post by GodzillaDude »

My question for you tonight is what your thoughts are on the King Kong vs. Godzilla version of Kong. I personally loved this version of him. He seemed very powerful I especially love the scene where it shows him running through the city stomping on the little houses! I love the roar they gave him too! Very memorable roar! The suit wasn't the greatest but it has grown on me these past few years. What are your thoughts?
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob