New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Postby TheSecondComing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Legionmaster wrote:There's no reason to waste time and brain power on a temporary title.

Unless it's Godzilla: Zero Hour

Hardee har har.
TheSecondComing
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Postby Mr. Strange » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Some nitpicky stuff in there - I'm looking forward to getting the new game into yall's hands before release, so there is none of this nitpicky nonsense in the future!

Many of the suggestions in the second half are good - some we've already discussed.

The one part of this I'd like to specifically talk about is the "arbitrary" elemental weaknesses. Brian is, on this point, totally wrong. Godzilla is not vulnerable to electricity randomly - he is weak specifically because he beat Ghidorah too often in our balancing tests. With his ~12% extra damage taken from Ghidorah and Megalon's beam attack, Godzilla stopped dominating those matches so completely.

A few elemental resistances / vulnerabilities were put in place because of movie reference, but for the most part every single one of them (and even the specific breakdown of damage types) was adjusted specifically to improve game balance. Having that knob in there to adjust allowed us to be a bit more free with our melee attacks - letting us make them "look good" as our first criteria, instead of worrying too much about their particular effectiveness.

Let's take Megaguirus as a specific example - she has a crippling weakness to Atomic Energy. Why? Because she absolutely CLOBBERED Space Godzilla for months. Her energy parasite playstyle just hurt him too much, since his game is all about creating alternative ways to regenerate his hard-to-come-by energy. This was a hard decision, because it then meant that G2k and G90 / G54 were extra strong against Megaguirus. We had to take other steps to fix those match-ups.

The damage type system was such an incredibly useful tool for balancing the game - I can't imagine letting it go. Using a wide variety of damage types gave me fine control over each match-up possibility in the game, which in G:U was 650(!) different match-ups to balance.

I was really surprised at some of the fan backlash about this issue - I think something that made it hard to swallow was the fact that the numerical range of the resistances / vulnerabilites was so wide. Many of them were only ~5% changes to the base damage, while a (very) small number were +50% or more. Seeing that row of vulnerabilities in MOGUERA's character sheet seems to have been off-putting, but I promise you that MOGUERA was a top-tier character for a long time, and needed serious weakening. I didn't just slap those attributes on him randomly!
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Adding to this, you think you could make the Ghidorah's necks longer and the wings wider? They just seemed off in the Atari games.

As for GFW Gigan do we really even know if he was metallic blue? The tint used in this film gave everyone a weird color, all the people, monsters and cities had weird lighting to reflect that this was a heavily polluted future. What color was the suit without the weird lighting?

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Could I make a little suggestion? Beam battles, in my opinion, need to be a lot more rare then they were in GU. I like the game, but one of the most annoying things about it for me was the fact that beam battles happened 90% of the time you fired your beam at an opponent! Beam battles themselves, I don't mind, but they need to be more rare in the game. Maybe if two beams are fired at the same time, a beam battle only has a 10% chance of happening?

Oh, another thing about beams. Explosions. To see explosions where the beams hit, be it the ground, buildings, or other monsters, would be great. In my opinion, it would make it feel much more like the movies.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby Hipster Thor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 pm

I think it is a really stupid move to say that monsters cannot do the moves they do in the games because they were never done in the movies. A few things to consider:

1. Without added abilities, certain monsters will be be left high and dry in the fighting department compared to better equipped adversaries. It also elaborates on movesets monsters are already known to have. Let's be honest, Monster fights in the movies don;t display too much. It would be horrendously mundane to see monsters doing the same thing as other monsters over and over, and that thing itself being mundane. If Baragon;s or Jet Jaguar's movesets were ripped form the films, they'd be Goddamn boring.

2. There is no established canon for the Godzilla franchise at all. So everything is fair game. To go strictly by what the movies say is ridiculous, as you are limiting yourself creatively and not actively adding ANYTHING to the franchise or characters at all, which I think artists would love to do. Why limit yourself in such a way? That level of purity is borderline parody. Basically anything goes in the Godzilla universe as long as it is approved by Toho. THAT is the mark of legitimacy, and Toho seemed fine with all the moveset adjustments made in previous games. I see no reason to remove them.

3.Removing such things actively makes the game worse. I loved Gigan's teleport, and the Sonic Roar(Only beam weapon like it). Taking them out would make me less inclined to play the characters, because you are making them more boring for something as pointless and irrelevant as film accuracy. These aren't bastardizations of the characters. They are simply adding things that makes them more unique, powerful, and differentiates them form the rest of the cast. By giving them less stuff, in order to keep it close to something poorly portrayed and not even in canon, is taking out game features for no real good reason other than a mistaken sense of franchise purity. I'm somewhat pf a purist when it comes to some things, but as I said, these aren't bastardizations. They are making the characters cooler and function better within the game world. Film accuracy be dammed.
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.

Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Hipster Thor
Futurian

Geiger Counter

Postby Mr. Strange » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Could I make a little suggestion? Beam battles, in my opinion, need to be a lot more rare then they were in GU. I like the game, but one of the most annoying things about it for me was the fact that beam battles happened 90% of the time you fired your beam at an opponent! Beam battles themselves, I don't mind, but they need to be more rare in the game. Maybe if two beams are fired at the same time, a beam battle only has a 10% chance of happening?

I don't know exactly what the best solution is, but I agree that beam battles were wonky in G:U. They led to bad interactions, and their predictability (it's the AI which does that) worsened the effect.

3.Removing such things actively makes the game worse. I loved Gigan's teleport, and the Sonic Roar(Only beam weapon like it). Taking them out would make me less inclined to play the characters, because you are making them more boring for something as pointless and irrelevant as film accuracy. These aren't bastardizations of the characters. They are simply adding things that makes them more unique, powerful, and differentiates them form the rest of the cast. By giving them less stuff, in order to keep it close to something poorly portrayed and not even in canon, is taking out game features for no real good reason other than a mistaken sense of franchise purity. I'm somewhat pf a purist when it comes to some things, but as I said, these aren't bastardizations. They are making the characters cooler and function better within the game world. Film accuracy be dammed.

When designing the monster attacks and abilities, I came up with some rather detailed ideas about what each monster's personality/fighting style/visual style should be. I'd be very interested to have people list which characters they felt properly captured the character, and which seemed offset from their expectations. For example, I made Anguirus really scrappy, in-your-face (most of his attacks advanced him significantly) and built his fighting style around staying in close. His Sonic Roar was designed to disrupt beam attacks, but not actually give him significant long-range damage. I felt as if all of that captured what people wanted to see in Anguirus.

But how did I do with the other characters? It's not too early to re-conceptualize fighting goals. Should Orga still be a grappler? Should someone else? Should MOGUERA be all about keep-away? Let's hear your good and bad impressions.
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:47 am

I don't have a problem with new abilities in the games, per se (I also loved Gigan's teleportation, for example). It's when they change the entire core of the character that bothers me. Titanosaurus and Varan are, like Anguirus, ordinary dinosaurs that rely on their own mettle (and teeth and claws) to duke it out. Giving the two of them beam weapons just seems... wrong. Like Anguirus, their game should be almost entirely physical. They each had enough going for them that neither really needed a beam weapon - Varan could fly/glide and was fast as hell, and Titanosaurus already even had his own projectile with the cyclone tail.

If we choose Titanosaurus at the character select, it's likely because we want to play as the guy who kicked Godzilla's ass without any special powers. If we want to play as a character with a beam weapon, we'll play as Godzilla or Rodan or Mechagodzilla or any of the dozen other monsters that already have one.

Mr. Strange wrote:I'd be very interested to have people list which characters they felt properly captured the character, and which seemed offset from their expectations.

I actually thought Titanosaurus and Varan were pretty much perfect (aside from their beam weapons, obviously).
"Gojira may be the answer. He can defeat them."

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller

Geiger Counter

Postby tymon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 am

@Donkun - I get what you're saying..100% movie accurate gameplay mechanics just wouldn't work for obvious reasons. However, I think a middle ground could be met, and they could look and "feel" more like the suits. I love DAMM and STE, but they're not quite there in terms of convincing me that I'm controlling the same beasts from the films.
Birdman wrote:How do I bump this thread?
tymon
True Detective

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla 2000

Postby Kiryu2012 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 am

Another question. For donation, where do we donate money for the game? Also, if someone could put in an original monster, how would that monster be treated?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy shit man.

Kiryu2012
The God of Chaos

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Discord and Bobobo
Favourite Kaiju: Discord

Postby Mr. Strange » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 am

Kiryu2012 wrote:Another question. For donation, where do we donate money for the game? Also, if someone could put in an original monster, how would that monster be treated?

Donations will be handled through Kickstarter (see the answers thread for a breakdown).

Original monster submissions will be reviewed with both me (for game mechanics) and Matt (for visual style and concepting). Once everything is approved by the two of us, that monster will be put into the queue for creation by the monster-making team. Monsters in development will be reviewed and discussed (and played in beta) by all contributors for at least a few months before they are released.
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Goji » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 am

To an extent, I agree with some of these things, but some are pretty nitpicky (no offense to Brian).

* Destoroyah is much smaller than he was in the movie

Well, the thing with the Heisei monsters was that they were all in the 100 meter rage in the movies. So actually, SpaceGodzilla, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Biollante, Heisei Mechagodzilla, are all technically "smaller" than they should be in the Pipeworks games. Making them all larger would be jarring, and I can guarantee you nobody would like it. (I mean, did anybody like the giant Mecha-King Ghidorah at the end of Godzilla:Domination?). Yeah, I didn't think so.

Then again, reaching critical mass made monsters larger, and even "turned" Godzilla into Burning Godzilla. If one wanted to recreate Heisei battles, it was easy enough to do.

* Mechagodzilla 1974 shouldn't have bendable fingers; his dorsal fins shouldn't light up; his eye beams are the wrong color; his tail is much smaller than it was in the movies

I agree. I liked the G:U version, but it was anything but accurate. The generic robotic sounds have to go as well.

* Anguirus' Supersonic Roar, Godzilla's Fireball, Jet Jaguar's Handclap, King Caesar's Laser Eyes, Mechagodzilla 1974's Flame Nose, Orga's Paralyzing Goo, Titanosaurus' Sonic Wave and Varan's Concentrated Blast should all be removed entirely (Godzilla, Mechagodzilla and Orga all have other powers that could easily replace the abilities listed)
* Biollante's Radioactive Sap Spray and Mothra Larva's Web shouldn't be able to create Beam Battles when they collide with a beam attack

This is where I can't agree at all. All of these things were added for the sake of adding variety to the arsenal of these characters. I'm also confused as to how Jet's "handclap" (karate chop?) and King Caesar's eye lasers aren't "accurate"? Orga's projectile is "goo"? Since when? He demonstrates a shoulder canon in the film, and the designers took a small liberty with it. Not a big deal. I can understand not wanting Titanosaurus, and Varan to have beams, but I'm sure they were added for the sake of balance.

Mechagodzilla is shown to use the nostril flames in publicity photos, as well as in the original Japanese poster for the 1974 film. If we're going to remove that, we might as well remove Showa Gigan's eye laser, since he never had it outside of publicity photos either.

When you're making a fighting game, you need to give some of these monsters abilities they may not have in any previously existing media. If Titano and Varan don't have beams, then they need some kind of way to handle/combat beam battles, because sitting there, helplessly blocking your beam doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, especially not simply for the sake of a "film accurate version". This is a video game, not a movie.

Bio's sap and Mothra's silk clash with beams for the sake of balance.
Goji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am

Goji wrote:If Titano and Varan don't have beams, then they need some kind of way to handle/combat beam battles, because sitting there, helplessly blocking your beam doesn't sound like my idea of a good time

Which is why the way the beams worked in GU was complete trash. In GDAMM and GSTE, you charged the beam, shot it off, then continued with the match. In Unleashed, as long as you had sufficient energy? You could fire your beam endlessly. Of course you'd need a way to deal with beams if they never stop pouring out of the opponent's mouth.

Goji wrote:especially not simply for the sake of a "film accurate version". This is a video game, not a movie.

Well, if you're gonna pull that, why not give Anguirus a beam weapon, then? You can't be almost completely screen accurate with one character and then just make random shit up with another.

Goji wrote:Bio's sap and Mothra's silk clash with beams for the sake of balance.

MOGUERA, Jet Jaguar, Baragon and Mothra Larva couldn't beam war in GSTE. Nobody complained then.
"Gojira may be the answer. He can defeat them."

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller

Geiger Counter

Postby Zilla103192 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am

I say take beams away from all the monsters that never had beams in the movies. And boost their Melee stats. Take an energy advantage, and give a physical one. Or replace beams with a different attack.

In AWMs game he is making, If you play as anguirus, and use his special, Anguirus turns and jumps backwards at the opponent, spikes first.

I never liked Anguirus having a sonic roar. It just never fit the character. Same with Titano and Varan.

I would of loved it if Titano turned around and made a huge wave of wind at the opponent, knocking them down.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby hammysammy59 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah, I don't like the idea of non-beam monsters having beams. Having a mix of beam and non-beam monsters makes the roster more interesting, and the majority of non-beam monsters already have some other cool attack to make up for their lack of a beam.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
JXSDF Technician

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:25 am

Giant Monster Militia?
RIP Lord Richard Attenborough
RIP Robin Williams

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am

Mr. Strange wrote:
I think "Eternal" is better than "Never Ending" - though it loses the acronym obviously.

Shit I'm down for "Eternal War" if you are.

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby Showa Gojira » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

I've been reading this topic for awhile now and I am incredibly excited by the idea of this game actually getting made. I greatly enjoyed the Pipeworks Godzila games and it seems like this game could possibly end up being the best Godzilla game yet. After reading some of the great ideas getting tossed around in this thread I came up with a few (dozen) of my own. For now though I'll just post my ideas on Beam battles and the health system.

Mr. Strange wrote: I don't know exactly what the best solution is, but I agree that beam battles were wonky in G:U. They led to bad interactions, and their predictability (it's the AI which does that) worsened the effect.

As far as I can tell, the problem with the beam battles happening constantly was because of how the beams themselves worked. In the first two games the Beams took awhile to charge but always made your opponent flinch at low power, and it would knock them down if charged all the way. The beams in Unleashed fired quickly but instead of being a powerful burst of energy it was more of a slow burn attack. It did cause the opponent to flinch when it hit them but after that they could still move around, attack, and fire their beam right back at you. The beams did eventually reach a point where they started doing significant damage and pushing your enemy around, but it simply took too long.

For this game I think the beams should return to how they were in the first two Pipeworks installments. Big powerful attacks that dish out a lot of damage but can't be used all the time, due to energy costs or having to be charged before being fired. Not all beams should function the same way, but none of them should give your enemy the chance to fire their beam at you while getting hit by yours. Some could be too quick to allow your opponent to blast back and others would be too powerful to allow them to return fire.

As for the health system I really like the idea of being able to get back up multiple times instead of being down for the count after losing all your health. It happens all the time in the movies and here's how I think we could incorporate it. When a Monster loses all their health or takes enough damage they go down and it seems all hope is lost. However they still have a chance to get back on their feet and continue to fight. Upon going down the player would have an amount of time to perform an act such as button mashing, spinning the joystick around, or pressing four buttons in a row repeatedly to build up enough energy to get back into the fight. After reaching a certain point they could press a certain button (Right trigger, Select, etc.) right away to get up with a small sliver of health. They could also choose to continue building up energy to come back with even more health.

However while this is going on your opponent won't be standing idly by while you try to recuperate yourself. The enemy monster could continue to bash away at their fallen foe in an attempt to make sure they stay down. Taking hits while trying to get back up would take away the energy you've built up, which is why you couldn't always come back with the highest amount of health possible. After going down each time building up energy would take longer and longer, so you would eventually end up staying down.

Also to make sure a Monster who just recovered isn't struck down immediately, they could perform a powerful get-up attack to knock off any would be attackers. Godzilla for example could use a nuclear pulse for close by opponents, or he could fire his atomic breath upon getting up. Apologies for the lengthy post but I have so many ideas for this game buzzing around in my head.
Showa Gojira
Ronin

Postby GIGAN05 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Here are some titles just thought up at random,
"Destroy All Monsters International"
"Kaiju World Saga"
"Global Monster Asssult"
TK's Resident Judge.

GIGAN05
Radioactive

Geiger Counter

Postby CheetoKamper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

If we take beams away from the monsters that didn't have them in the movies fine BUT the monster then would need to be able to counter the beam in someway that isn't just sitting there and blocking otherwise it's completly unbalanced. Maybe for Anguirus he could just roll in a ball and be able to roll through the beam at the shooter (he'd still take damage but he'd able to counter it still.) King Ceasar should just be able to absorb the beam and shoot it back but make it so that only happens when you hit the button for it rather than automaticly so it doesn't become completly broken. Titanosaurus has the wind attack and that should just do damage and send things like cars and tanks and just general debris at the opponent and that can do the damage. Varan is a lot harder to figure out since he never actualy fights a monster ever.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent

Team: On a night like this, you should talk about love
Favourite Kaiju: Gabara

Postby matrix » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Hey guys, we should talk about unlockables, so what should be avalable at the store? I think, Monsters, Arenas, Videos, Pictures. But to just plain unlock, I think there should be player emblems, you can maybe unlock more by doing stuff like playing 100 battles, and you can display them, like? :g2k:
matrix
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Chris55 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 pm

matrix wrote:Hey guys, we should talk about unlockables, so what should be avalable at the store? I think, Monsters, Arenas, Videos, Pictures. But to just plain unlock, I think there should be player emblems, you can maybe unlock more by doing stuff like playing 100 battles, and you can display them, like? :g2k:

I think fan art would be cool unlockables.
http://www.Transcendence-Movie.com

Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.
Chris55
Site Staff

Geiger Counter

PreviousNext

Return to Toho Video Games