New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Mr. Strange »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Another question. For donation, where do we donate money for the game? Also, if someone could put in an original monster, how would that monster be treated?
Donations will be handled through Kickstarter (see the answers thread for a breakdown).

Original monster submissions will be reviewed with both me (for game mechanics) and Matt (for visual style and concepting). Once everything is approved by the two of us, that monster will be put into the queue for creation by the monster-making team. Monsters in development will be reviewed and discussed (and played in beta) by all contributors for at least a few months before they are released.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

To an extent, I agree with some of these things, but some are pretty nitpicky (no offense to Brian).
* Destoroyah is much smaller than he was in the movie
Well, the thing with the Heisei monsters was that they were all in the 100 meter rage in the movies. So actually, SpaceGodzilla, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Biollante, Heisei Mechagodzilla, are all technically "smaller" than they should be in the Pipeworks games. Making them all larger would be jarring, and I can guarantee you nobody would like it. (I mean, did anybody like the giant Mecha-King Ghidorah at the end of Godzilla:Domination?). Yeah, I didn't think so.

Then again, reaching critical mass made monsters larger, and even "turned" Godzilla into Burning Godzilla. If one wanted to recreate Heisei battles, it was easy enough to do.

* Mechagodzilla 1974 shouldn't have bendable fingers; his dorsal fins shouldn't light up; his eye beams are the wrong color; his tail is much smaller than it was in the movies

I agree. I liked the G:U version, but it was anything but accurate. The generic robotic sounds have to go as well.

* Anguirus' Supersonic Roar, Godzilla's Fireball, Jet Jaguar's Handclap, King Caesar's Laser Eyes, Mechagodzilla 1974's Flame Nose, Orga's Paralyzing Goo, Titanosaurus' Sonic Wave and Varan's Concentrated Blast should all be removed entirely (Godzilla, Mechagodzilla and Orga all have other powers that could easily replace the abilities listed)
* Biollante's Radioactive Sap Spray and Mothra Larva's Web shouldn't be able to create Beam Battles when they collide with a beam attack

This is where I can't agree at all. All of these things were added for the sake of adding variety to the arsenal of these characters. I'm also confused as to how Jet's "handclap" (karate chop?) and King Caesar's eye lasers aren't "accurate"? Orga's projectile is "goo"? Since when? He demonstrates a shoulder canon in the film, and the designers took a small liberty with it. Not a big deal. I can understand not wanting Titanosaurus, and Varan to have beams, but I'm sure they were added for the sake of balance.

Mechagodzilla is shown to use the nostril flames in publicity photos, as well as in the original Japanese poster for the 1974 film. If we're going to remove that, we might as well remove Showa Gigan's eye laser, since he never had it outside of publicity photos either.

When you're making a fighting game, you need to give some of these monsters abilities they may not have in any previously existing media. If Titano and Varan don't have beams, then they need some kind of way to handle/combat beam battles, because sitting there, helplessly blocking your beam doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, especially not simply for the sake of a "film accurate version". This is a video game, not a movie.

Bio's sap and Mothra's silk clash with beams for the sake of balance.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Goji wrote:If Titano and Varan don't have beams, then they need some kind of way to handle/combat beam battles, because sitting there, helplessly blocking your beam doesn't sound like my idea of a good time
Which is why the way the beams worked in GU was complete trash. In GDAMM and GSTE, you charged the beam, shot it off, then continued with the match. In Unleashed, as long as you had sufficient energy? You could fire your beam endlessly. Of course you'd need a way to deal with beams if they never stop pouring out of the opponent's mouth.
Goji wrote:especially not simply for the sake of a "film accurate version". This is a video game, not a movie.
Well, if you're gonna pull that, why not give Anguirus a beam weapon, then? You can't be almost completely screen accurate with one character and then just make random shit up with another.
Goji wrote:Bio's sap and Mothra's silk clash with beams for the sake of balance.
MOGUERA, Jet Jaguar, Baragon and Mothra Larva couldn't beam war in GSTE. Nobody complained then.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I say take beams away from all the monsters that never had beams in the movies. And boost their Melee stats. Take an energy advantage, and give a physical one. Or replace beams with a different attack.

In AWMs game he is making, If you play as anguirus, and use his special, Anguirus turns and jumps backwards at the opponent, spikes first.

I never liked Anguirus having a sonic roar. It just never fit the character. Same with Titano and Varan.

I would of loved it if Titano turned around and made a huge wave of wind at the opponent, knocking them down.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Yeah, I don't like the idea of non-beam monsters having beams. Having a mix of beam and non-beam monsters makes the roster more interesting, and the majority of non-beam monsters already have some other cool attack to make up for their lack of a beam.
Haters gonna hate

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I've been reading this topic for awhile now and I am incredibly excited by the idea of this game actually getting made. I greatly enjoyed the Pipeworks Godzila games and it seems like this game could possibly end up being the best Godzilla game yet. After reading some of the great ideas getting tossed around in this thread I came up with a few (dozen) of my own. For now though I'll just post my ideas on Beam battles and the health system.
Mr. Strange wrote: I don't know exactly what the best solution is, but I agree that beam battles were wonky in G:U. They led to bad interactions, and their predictability (it's the AI which does that) worsened the effect.
As far as I can tell, the problem with the beam battles happening constantly was because of how the beams themselves worked. In the first two games the Beams took awhile to charge but always made your opponent flinch at low power, and it would knock them down if charged all the way. The beams in Unleashed fired quickly but instead of being a powerful burst of energy it was more of a slow burn attack. It did cause the opponent to flinch when it hit them but after that they could still move around, attack, and fire their beam right back at you. The beams did eventually reach a point where they started doing significant damage and pushing your enemy around, but it simply took too long.

For this game I think the beams should return to how they were in the first two Pipeworks installments. Big powerful attacks that dish out a lot of damage but can't be used all the time, due to energy costs or having to be charged before being fired. Not all beams should function the same way, but none of them should give your enemy the chance to fire their beam at you while getting hit by yours. Some could be too quick to allow your opponent to blast back and others would be too powerful to allow them to return fire.

As for the health system I really like the idea of being able to get back up multiple times instead of being down for the count after losing all your health. It happens all the time in the movies and here's how I think we could incorporate it. When a Monster loses all their health or takes enough damage they go down and it seems all hope is lost. However they still have a chance to get back on their feet and continue to fight. Upon going down the player would have an amount of time to perform an act such as button mashing, spinning the joystick around, or pressing four buttons in a row repeatedly to build up enough energy to get back into the fight. After reaching a certain point they could press a certain button (Right trigger, Select, etc.) right away to get up with a small sliver of health. They could also choose to continue building up energy to come back with even more health.

However while this is going on your opponent won't be standing idly by while you try to recuperate yourself. The enemy monster could continue to bash away at their fallen foe in an attempt to make sure they stay down. Taking hits while trying to get back up would take away the energy you've built up, which is why you couldn't always come back with the highest amount of health possible. After going down each time building up energy would take longer and longer, so you would eventually end up staying down.

Also to make sure a Monster who just recovered isn't struck down immediately, they could perform a powerful get-up attack to knock off any would be attackers. Godzilla for example could use a nuclear pulse for close by opponents, or he could fire his atomic breath upon getting up. Apologies for the lengthy post but I have so many ideas for this game buzzing around in my head.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Here are some titles just thought up at random,
"Destroy All Monsters International"
"Kaiju World Saga"
"Global Monster Asssult"

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

If we take beams away from the monsters that didn't have them in the movies fine BUT the monster then would need to be able to counter the beam in someway that isn't just sitting there and blocking otherwise it's completly unbalanced. Maybe for Anguirus he could just roll in a ball and be able to roll through the beam at the shooter (he'd still take damage but he'd able to counter it still.) King Ceasar should just be able to absorb the beam and shoot it back but make it so that only happens when you hit the button for it rather than automaticly so it doesn't become completly broken. Titanosaurus has the wind attack and that should just do damage and send things like cars and tanks and just general debris at the opponent and that can do the damage. Varan is a lot harder to figure out since he never actualy fights a monster ever.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Hey guys, we should talk about unlockables, so what should be avalable at the store? I think, Monsters, Arenas, Videos, Pictures. But to just plain unlock, I think there should be player emblems, you can maybe unlock more by doing stuff like playing 100 battles, and you can display them, like? :g2k:

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

"Godzilla: Destruction of Earth, Online"
"Godzilla: Destroy All Kaiju"
"Godzilla: Rise of the Brotherhood" :lol:
And the best one: "Godzilla: Rise of the Kaiju"
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Shadow wrote:"Godzilla: Destruction of Earth, Online"
"Godzilla: Destroy All Kaiju"
"Godzilla: Rise of the Brotherhood" :lol:
And the best one: "Godzilla: Rise of the Kaiju"
You got godzilla rise of the kaiju from me! Its ok. :g2k:

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

^Dammit! I knew that sounded familiar somewhere, aww well I stand by it anyway.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Mr. Strange wrote:$500 - Name one monster to be in the game - including any original monster you have created.
So, say someone donated $1,000 to the project. Could they get two monsters in? Or is it pretty much one monster per person?
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

matrix
Monsterland Worker

New Video Game, New Monster?

Post by matrix »

I honestly want a new monster, I cant wait to see what people come up with, if I had to make one, I say it should be, Green, Mutant, Blue Lazer Beam, Red Spikes, kinda like godzilla, but ive always wanted a green villan, this is my dream monster, kinda crazy, oh his stats would be mostly attack and defence, low speed and weapons. (making it fair) :g2k:

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

A question. If someone sends in an original monster, how would they provide the sound effects for that monster? Like if it were a monster like my Gwangi, http://goji64kingdom.proboards.com/inde ... y&thread=3 , would someone provide the voice acting for that monster?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Re: New Video Game, New Monster?

Post by hammysammy59 »

It sounds like at some point the game being headed up by Strange, Frank and Chris will feature an entire line-up of original monsters. It'll be cool to see what they, and fans, come up with. Hopefully they take the opportunity to really stretch out creatively, and give us some creatures that fill in gaps left by the Toho/Godzilla monster stable both visually and from a gameplay point of view. Mammalian monsters, bird creatures, and characters inspired by or based on different world mythologies would all be super cool. I'd love to see them take inspiration from western-style monster movies too--that's one thing I really loved about War of the Monsters. Creative riffs on The 50 ft. Woman, The Blob and Harryhausen creatures would all be fantastic... or hell, why go for homages/parodies? It'd be ridiculously cool if they landed the rights to these classic creatures. Why yes, I DO want to see Ymir and Talos in a tag-team match against Godzilla and King Caesar.
Haters gonna hate

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Living Corpse wrote:KaijuApocalypse: The Eternal War
I quite like Kaiju Apocalypse!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:So, say someone donated $1,000 to the project. Could they get two monsters in? Or is it pretty much one monster per person?
I'm not sure. I would be fine with that person submitting 2 monsters, but it would probably depend upon the number of original monster submissions we have to contend with. Maybe at that level we accept additional original monsters, but don't give the guarantee that they will make it in?

Honestly, it's probably a special case. If our biggest problem is that we have too many people donationg $1,000 or more, I think we're doing pretty well.

@Kiryu2012 - If you can create the .wav files yourself, we'll use those as a basis. Unfortunately, audio theft is a big problem, so I would not be comfortable accepting any .wav files which are not essentially you making noises into the mic.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

As far as music goes, I REALLY liked most of the music in Godzilla Unleashed. The only group of songs I didn't really care for was the more rock-influenced GDF themes... the music for the Earth Defender, Alien and Mutant factions were all pretty perfect fits for the game, and just cool pieces of music in general. So if we can get something along those lines for this game, I'd be a very, very happy camper. Though, having the option for a custom soundtrack would be fantastic too... that way I can just fill it up with Ifukube scores. :)

Upgradeable monsters would be hella cool. Wouldn't Toho pitch a shit-fit about this though? I know they're not cool with create-a-monster modes, and I feel like upgrades for monsters would be treading in similar territory. Maybe it could get implemented in the pack of original monsters? A full-fledged create-a-monster mode would be incredible.
Haters gonna hate

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

The whole beam attack has been a subject of debate for a while. The raged (beam) attacks have already been established as integral to the combat mechanics of the Godzilla games (not taking into account the Wii port of Godzilla: Unleashed). A lot of the attacks have been either interrupted or negated by the weakest streams of ranged attacks (not fully charged, mind you). I can recall some attacks where your kaiju charges forward slowed down as you're colliding with a ranged attack; Godzilla's charging headbutt doesn't cover as much distance as it normally would, same goes for Anguirus' standard roll. Anguirus' roar would completely distrupt these sorts of attacks; you don't even have to fully charge the Sonic Roar for it to be that effective. Kaiju with ranged attacks vs. kaiju without ranged attacks; for the sake of game play, mechanics, and balance, the ranged kaiju would have an unfair advantage. Kaiju that are not known to have ranged attacks have been given a ranged attack to even out the unbalanced system. Recalling the days I've played Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Godzilla: Save the Earth, I've won many battles by firing off 3 full-charged beams (2 times in the former, both of when my energy meter is full, by the way) as often as I could in between melee fronts. I've only used weak beams on rare encounters to interrupt the opponent's attacks. And here's another thing I recall reading on this thread: trade out Anguirus' Sonic Roar for the Thunderball Attack. Um...last I checked, he could already do both! In Godzilla: Save the Earth, he had the Thunderball as his Rage attack, where he keeps on rolling until his Rage meter depletes.
Gigan was always suspected of having a ranged attack since his debut in 1972, but was never shown on screen. But seeing his Red Laser on Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, it actually suited him; the crimson beam did seem to have this alien quality to it.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!