IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Proofpoochie
G-Force Personnel

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Proofpoochie »

RedZillaKing wrote:Drop the gay shit and move on with your lives. The "everybody's rights" people are easily as obnoxious as the bigots. You're all taking the focus off of Mr. Gane's awesomnicitational art.
The homophobe is the one that is making a big deal out of a character being gay. If he didn't start with the hateful comments, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I wonder what Ghidorah will look like. Will they keep with the GMK-esque design, or will we get a more impressive Showa/Heisei style?

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Well, as long as gay isn't the main focus I'll be alright. I'll admit that I am not a person that supports gay rights (though I don't want to put all homosexuals in a holocaust either), but a character is a character. Do I support the character's standards? Not really. But will I like him as a character overall? Sure. This is Godzilla, but at the same time this is America and issues we're talking about here. You know, it's a shame that the war in the middle-east hasn't been put into focus yet. That would have been neat. Heck, glad to see Kumonga once again back in action! But I'll be disappointed with no explanation for Ghidorah's no-panel time, as well as Anguirus. Then again, I'm probably expecting too much for a single issue, lol.

Besides, I didn't hear this much complaint about Steven Woods, who supported gay rights. Besides, I'm sure there's a reason why Kumonga crashed the wedding. The same reason why Godzilla attacked North Korea. :P

And Rody brings a good point about Ghidorah's design. GMK esque? Showa esque? Heisei esque? I wanna know!
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Actually the ''homophobe'' has dropped it.

Rody, I'm personally hoping they go for a Showa Ghidorah look and bring him back to his world destroyer roots.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Me too. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Rodan, simply because I'm a Rodan nut, and I wasn't impressed with how he looked in KOM. Actually, I think Rodan might have been the worst-looking kaiju in the series.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Possibly. He looked lik the Trendmasters version more than anything else..

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

What, you guys haven't read it...?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=37827

Interview with Swiercyznski and the first six page preview for Godzilla #1. Thank Matt for this if it hasn't been posted already.

Now as far as Ghidorah goes... He's complicated. Now perhaps in ACTUAL origins before being sealed into the mountains, he could've been a space monster. We don't know. Heck, my older brother believes that this version (the ongoing) of Rodan is an alien. Heck, it's no surprise. But we'll see if Ghidorah has aged or not (get it? lol... I know, bad joke).
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Rody wrote:It is my firm opinion that homosexuality is WRONG. I know most people probably disagree, but that's how I see it.
Well, as bisexual, I'll see you in hell, old chap.

And, once again, your argument will be constantly voided by the "Godzilla doesn't exist in a vacuum" line.

And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.
Probably one of my favorite posts ever. Thank you SS4G.

On Topic: I'm interested to see how this comic deals with some of the mythology points brought up in the last series. For example, where did the monsters come from? Who the hell were the Twins? Whatever happened to Mothra? What's Ghidorah's origin? I'm wondering how much of the previous series will be addressed and how much will be forgotten/rebooted.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

RedZillaKing wrote:Drop the gay shit and move on with your lives. The "everybody's rights" people are easily as obnoxious as the bigots. You're all taking the focus off of Mr. Gane's awesomnicitational art.

The first sentence made me lol harder than it should have.

Very interested to see how much KoM will be referenced, if it is at all.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

I'm hooked. Why? Mostly because I get the feeling that justice exists. Nothing to do with the the portrayal of homosexuality and stuff, that will only be a big deal if people make a big deal out of it, wich shouldn't be the case. What I mean is Kumonga. How many pannels did (s)he get in KoM? One? Two? It felt like (s)he was brought up into the comic just for the sake of it, just to be forgotten and never seen or heard again, while the others got all the spotlight (It can be said that the execution wasn't the best, but still).

But that was then. Now, this new comic begins by appropiately making up for that. It fills a void (At least it does for me) and it does it wonderfully. Kumonga, in it's effective simplicity, looks great. But it's not just Kumonga destroying whatever it is in her/his path, we also see survivors trying to fight Kumonga back with sticks (and later with guns)... I just love it. Being a wedding and all, I can imagine there being some individuals willing to do something in the face of danger to protect their loved ones. It works for me.

And it's all in just pretty much three pages! (I know there are four pages, but Kumonga appears at the end of the first page until the beggining of the last one).

I hope Urv becomes a recurring character. As this preview shows us, he is a man of resources, of action. I would love to see what he has to contribute to the monsters fighting, while being unique in his way to act and in his interactions with others, both because he is dealing with the loss of the love of his life and, yes, because he is homosexual.

Imagine him interacting with an hypothetical female character. Normally, there would be an obligatory romantic/sexual remark or something, all to establish if there is something going on with them or not, because you know, he is a man (And a mysterious and good-looking one) and she is a woman. But not here, he wouldn't care, he is homosexual and wants to avenge the death of his boyfriend. Thus, his interaction with a female character would be, in it's own way, different and unique than bewtween an heterosexual male character and a female character, for example. Details like this could make the human aspect of the comic interesting, without even being political comentary. Just saying.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I really like the panel with Rodan gobbling up the race car.
It seems like a scene that could be easily translated onto the screen; with race cars frantically driving away from a low-flying Rodan.
It's awesome.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Am I the only one who started laughing when the Mexicans began firing at Kumunga with Uzis?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Well, they have to fight back with SOMETHING. Lol.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Well, they don't need no stinkin' badges.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

Rody wrote:It is my firm opinion that homosexuality is WRONG.
Rody wrote:WRONG.

So, yeah, how about that Heisei Godzilla? Looks cool, huh?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Very nicely drawn, but I would prefer a different version of Godzilla to be used in the comics. I'm not too fond of Heisei-Goji.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

Rody wrote:Very nicely drawn, but I would prefer a different version of Godzilla to be used in the comics. I'm not too fond of Heisei-Goji.
I like Heisei-Goji... though that could be because his design is used so heavily in the US, especially in the 90s... and speaking of heavily-used designs, who thinks that they're going to use Anguirus' Showa design again? I know I do... 8-)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Master-Spiff wrote: I like Heisei-Goji... though that could be because his design is used so heavily in the US, especially in the 90s...
The fact that Heisei-Goji has been used so much has actually resulted in me getting tired of it... but that's just me. To each his own.
Still, I'd love to see King-Goji, Mosu-Goji, Sokogecki-Goji & Kiryu-Goji be used in the future.
Master-Spiff wrote:and speaking of heavily-used designs, who thinks that they're going to use Anguirus' Showa design again? I know I do... 8-)
I think it is perfectly safe to assume that Anguirus will be done in Showa style. The Millennium version doesn't seem to be liked much.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

...but I love Heisei...

I hope they can keep Godzilla looking the same in this series, he seemed to keep changing in KOM..
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:...but I love Heisei...
I hear ya', bro.
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I hope they can keep Godzilla looking the same in this series, he seemed to keep changing in KOM...
Consistency? In a Godzilla comic? What sort of blasphemy is this?!