GOOD Godzilla-related games?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

GOOD Godzilla-related games?

Post by BigBaragon »

NO sarcasm intended whatsoever here. I have tried quite a few over the years, from the NES version to the more current DS version, and they all are very lackluster, imho. I played one version on the GameCube system that wasnt AWFUL, but most of 'em are horrid...

Are there any GREAT games out there featuring any of the Toho greats? I dont think that the kaiju concept/formula would work for certain genres like rpgs, but what about a 'story based' type like X-Men Legends or Shadow of Colossus, no?

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Re: GOOD Godzilla-related games?

Post by hammysammy59 »

The best Godzilla game I've played was the one you played on GameCube, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee.

It doesn't feature official Toho monsters, but War of the Monsters on PS2 is easily the best giant monster game I've ever played. It's a little too bare-bones to be a classic, but it's a lot of fun.
Haters gonna hate

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

Thanks, Hammy. Yeah, that GameCube version is O.K., but, meh...

I'm assuming that the PS2 game you mention is a 'generic' kaiju game, like those 'King of the Monsters' arcade games? Sounds like I'd dig it....I have a great source for PS2 games, most of 'em being $2-$4... 8-)

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Yeah, War of the Monsters features all original monsters, but they're all clever reimaginings or parodies of other famous monsters. Off the top of my head, the game features it's own version of Godzilla, King Kong, Rodan, Voltron, and a giant Mars Attacks!-style alien.
Haters gonna hate

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

The PS2 game War of the Monsters isn't only my favorite Giant Monster game, but my favorite video game PERIOD.

I own 3 copies of it. The first copy, I played to the point of breaking, the 2nd, I played til it started skipping, and I just recently bought a used copy that not only was in the original case, but also came with the poster it was packaged with.

I even FRAMED one of the discs and have it hanging on my wall next to my Godzilla collection. Like a boss. 8-)
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

BigBaragon wrote:NO sarcasm intended whatsoever here. I have tried quite a few over the years, from the NES version to the more current DS version, and they all are very lackluster, imho. I played one version on the GameCube system that wasnt AWFUL, but most of 'em are horrid...

Are there any GREAT games out there featuring any of the Toho greats? I dont think that the kaiju concept/formula would work for certain genres like rpgs, but what about a 'story based' type like X-Men Legends or Shadow of Colossus, no?
I've played everything up through "Save The Earth", and there are four that I keep returning to. IMO these are the best out there:

4) Godzilla Generations (Sega Dreamcast)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_generations.htm
It's slow and pondering, but the building destruction keeps me coming back for more. The farther in you get, the more dense (and high) the cityscapes are. In the last level you get to destroy the Tax Towers while the music from "Godzilla 1985" plays in the background. Pure geek heaven for me. If the follow-up Generations: Maximum Impact had kept the free-roaming and the building destruction mechanics, it would replace this on my list.

3)(TIE) Godzilla: Battle Legends (Turbo Duo/Turbo Graphix)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_turbo.htm
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters (Super Nintendo)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_dam.htm
The Turbo Duo game edges out the SNES version due to the larger roster of kaiju, but they're virtually identical otherwise. I'd much rather play this than Melee/Save The Earth/Unleashed.

2) Godzilla King Of The Monsters (Nintendo Game Boy)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/kotm_godzilla.htm
If only this had a "save game" feature, and was in color! Excellent roster of kaiju. It's like a heisei version of the NES "Monster of Monsters" game. I still haven't beaten it :(

1) Godzilla Giant Monster March (Sega Game Gear)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_ ... _march.htm
Despite the turn-based gameplay, despite the quasi-chibi characters, this one really works for me. Similar to the NES "Godzilla 2" game. For those who own it, if the "save game" feature doesn't work, it's probably because the battery has died inside the cartridge.

Honorable Mention: Godzilla: Archipelago Shock (Sega Saturn)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_archipelago.htm
If I could figure out how to play it, this would probably shoot to the top of this list. My ideal Godzilla game would be a Command And Conquer-style RTS game where you direct the military against one gigantic kaiju in a destructable city setting, and this looks like the closest thing yet.

TechnoForce
Monsterland Worker

Post by TechnoForce »

Godzilla unleashed was an alright game but I only really enjoyed it because I enjoy the characters. Game play was pretty lame really. War of the monsters on the other hand? An absolutely awesome game. The characters and designs were awesome and the alternate costumes were perfect. Mechani-Kong? Mecha-Toguera? And Kineticlops was just a total bad ass!
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I would recommend Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters on the NES. It's simple, yet engaging. Just put on Ifukube's Symphonic Fantasia if you want a proper soundtrack. Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters on the Super Famicom would be a good choice as well.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

You know if I hadn't played WOTM until after seeing the way everyone on this board loves it, I'd have thought it was a massive disappointment.

Seriously, it's a great game but damn does it get hyped up these days.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TechnoForce
Monsterland Worker

Post by TechnoForce »

Its the only good one of its kind. I say it deserves the hype.
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ It's not an issue of deserving it, but will it live up to it for everyone?

It's a lot different picking it up as 'a cool-looking game' vs. 'the best monster game ever'
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

What? What you said barely makes any sense.

It's get's "hyped up" because it's a damn good giant monster-related fighting game. Probably the best, next to Godzilla:STE.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

The Godzilla Monster March from Sega sounds interesting, but unfortunately there are no youtube clips of it so I could see what it played like.

The Super Fanicom Godzilla game looks great as well, it's a shame that one never made it to the U.S.

Togera
Ronin

Post by Togera »

Even though War of the Monsters doesnt have Toho monsters, War of the Monsters is my favorite Giant monsters game. the game makes me think of watching a Toho film. Giant monsters, Destruction, Aliens. Yep, War of the Monsters sounds like a Toho game alright. my second favorite has to be Godzilla:DAMM
Running is not an option in the apocalypse. Unless its a Kaiju Apocalypse...THEN you run....

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

The H-Man wrote:The Godzilla Monster March from Sega sounds interesting, but unfortunately there are no youtube clips of it so I could see what it played like.
No YouTube clips? You may have missed these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEhbcQjaE4Q (Gameplay footage at 0:41 through 1:10)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLryE_-XZ9s

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

The best Godzilla game I have played is Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee, but there are some other good Godzilla games, like Godzilla Monster of Monsters, Godzilla Save the Earth, I liked Godzilla Unleashed for Wii, Super Godzilla was ok, it wasn't good or bad in my opinion, those are some good Godzilla games. GMoM is a game on NES games.com, I think that's what it's called.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Godzilla1989
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzilla1989 »

I like Super Godzilla.
I love GODZILLA and Kentucky Basketball

Zentenk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zentenk »

Anyone ever play Godzilla custom game on Starcraft? That was really fun, too bad it didn't look like Godzilla.

Basically one unit in the game has a ton of armor and hit points and attacks you and your allies (other players) and you each build up defences and throw as many units at it as you can, it takes forever to stop Godzilla.

I'm not sure if anyone has made one for Starcraft 2 yet... would have to check sometime.

marshal99
Ronin

Post by marshal99 »

Instead of fighting games , i always wonder why they couldn't make a godzilla JRPG game where you don't play godzilla but a member of a special earth taskforce to take down any kaiju.

Or they could do a rail shooter like the Gamera 2000 game for PS1 (although godzilla can't fly like gamera but they could always do Mothra as Mothra is more often than not , a good monster)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVCluP48tKo

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

G1985 wrote:
4) Godzilla Generations (Sega Dreamcast)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_generations.htm
It's slow and pondering, but the building destruction keeps me coming back for more. The farther in you get, the more dense (and high) the cityscapes are. In the last level you get to destroy the Tax Towers while the music from "Godzilla 1985" plays in the background. Pure geek heaven for me. If the follow-up Generations: Maximum Impact had kept the free-roaming and the building destruction mechanics, it would replace this on my list.
Anybody know somewhere where I can find an emulator of this game or something? Wanted to try it out for a long time.