Is Godzilla 1998 still an official Godzilla movie?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Re: Is Godzilla 1998 still an official Godzilla movie?

Postby GotengoXGodzilla » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Goji wrote:"It doesn't matter what Toho thinks"

"everyone agreed that it doesn't count".

Lol..now that's rich. Who's "everyone"? A handful of 14 year olds on TK?

You can find out all about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=298&start=0

Legally, GINO is a Godzilla film. It counts as one, even if fans don't like it. You don't see me saying that Final Wars isn't a Godzilla film, even though I hate it more than GINO.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing
GotengoXGodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Shadow » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:You can find out all about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=298&start=0

Legally, GINO is a Godzilla film. It counts as one, even if fans don't like it. You don't see me saying that Final Wars isn't a Godzilla film, even though I hate it more than GINO.

He's right, I'd rather watch GINO than FW, at least there's a slight balance with the human characters and the monsters, unlike FW. Which is show the human characters in most of the movie, but cram the monsters in like they almost forgot about them.
The King Will Rise
And It Can't Be Stopped

Greatest Advertisement of all time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se9TyhKuXqE
TK's Resident Crazy Person.

Shadow
Solomon... Still The Best!

Geiger Counter

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm the opposite. GINO has the better plot, but I'd rather watch GFW. GINO doesn't have Anguirus or Rodan.
edgaguirus
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 am

Who cares, it has Godzilla's name but is not worth of the title character enough said.
XxComablack1937xX
Futurian

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am

Well, even though Toho has copyrighted the abomination (resulting in its induction into the Toho Kaiju pantheon), I still find it hard to place its canonicity into the continuum. The film may not be canon, but the monster is. There is way too much information out there for me to make a final guess on the topic; my opinion is this: the monster is canon, but the story isn't. Until I can get more solid answers from the source, I stand by my opinion.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:46 am

Uh...all that GINO's story could be canon to is itself. It is independent of any other films, with a completely self-contained continuity.
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Goji » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm

^ Indeed. The only other thing canon with the film would be the animated series.
Goji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby SimeonAssassin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:49 pm

I know some would have arguement against this, but as far as I'm concerned, GINO (whatever) is part of the larger Godzilla universe. clearly not part of any contimun outside it's own, but member of the larger cast nonetheless.

I personally think GINO is a decent Kaiju in itself, with his own charms and character. I see no need to compare him to real Godzilla, I take him for what he is.
SimeonAssassin
Samurai

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 pm

SimeonAssassin wrote: I personally think GINO is a decent Kaiju in itself, with his own charms and character. I see no need to compare him to real Godzilla, I take him for what he is.

Exactly; which would be a separate, stand-alone kaiju.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby SuperSaiyan4Godzilla » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:55 pm

SimeonAssassin wrote: I personally think GINO is a decent Kaiju in itself, with his own charms and character. I see no need to compare him to real Godzilla, I take him for what he is.

...sooo...Godzilla.

A variation of the Godzilla character, but still Godzilla.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return.

Like Toho Kingdom on Facebook!

Join the Facebook Toho Kingdom group!
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Postby SimeonAssassin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 pm

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:

...sooo...Godzilla.

Well, Gino is clearly not Godzilla. It be like if someone showed a Marvel fanboy a picture of a brand-new character, and told him it was Wolverine. It would clearly not be Wolverine, it would be it's own character, but not Wolverine.

This is all as far as I'm concerned, I know plenty of people are going to disagree with me, but that's none of my concern. I consider GINO(or whatever) a seperate character, in and of himself.
SimeonAssassin
Samurai

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 am

SimeonAssassin wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:

...sooo...Godzilla.

Well, Gino is clearly not Godzilla. It be like if someone showed a Marvel fanboy a picture of a brand-new character, and told him it was Wolverine. It would clearly not be Wolverine, it would be it's own character, but not Wolverine.

This is all as far as I'm concerned, I know plenty of people are going to disagree with me, but that's none of my concern. I consider GINO(or whatever) a seperate character, in and of himself.

I agree with you; Zilla is definitely not Godzilla. Zilla (in my eyes) is missing that divine might one would normally feel from Godzilla.
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby TheSecondComing » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 am

Toho says it's Godzilla. I say it isn't. I know whose opinion is more important to me, so there you go.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 am

TheSecondComing wrote:Toho says it's Godzilla. I say it isn't. I know whose opinion is more important to me, so there you go.

So...is it in writing?
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby cloverfan98 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 pm

The film is called Godzilla. As fans we are more than welcome to call it whatever we want, but as far as the film, Toho, and the general public is concerned its Godzilla. I think its cool that we got an new re interputation of Godzilla, but we can all agree it has some HUGE flaws.

cloverfan98
Interpol Agent

Geiger Counter

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:19 am

As Toho is concerned, they have the rights to the movie; script and all; this [God]Zilla is known in Japan as the American Godzilla. Even in the Millennium universe, rumors of the incident in New York are quelled. In the end, it is simply not Godzilla himself. I mean, yea, sure...he's fast; he's got the sleek raptor-look, but he's not the invincible leviathan as he was in the Showa, Heisei and Millennium series. I mean...dodging missiles? Godzilla would not be felled by a few missiles. The only thing that could legitimately slay Godzilla would be the Oxygen Destroyer...and I am amazed that no attempt at making the Oxygen Destroyer was ever made in the 1998 movie. What puts the god in Godzilla is the fact that we could throw everything in man's arsenal at Godzilla (short of the Oxygen Destroyer, of course)...and the kaiju would still be coming at us. Godzilla advances when attacks...in the direction of the artillery's origin, not dodge or run away from them (as Zilla has been observed doing).
The Japanese understand that this was the American attempt at Godzilla, but they know and have admitted that this simply isn't Godzilla. Toho's official name for this Kaiju is Zilla.
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Legion1979 wrote:I don't own the newest home video release of GINO, but I'm pretty sure there's an icon of the monster on the back of the packaging with the name "Godzilla" on it.

Strangely enough, there's no Toho monster icon on the Blu-Ray release. Never noticed that before now. Regardless, it very clearly spells out: The "GODZILLA" character and design are copyright Toho Co...etc.

"Zilla" had existed for years before that disc was printed, and if Toho had officially changed anything, it would have been reflected there. As everyone has said again and again, the monster in that film is, was, and ever-shall-be called "Godzilla," whether or not we like it.

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby SuperSaiyan4Godzilla » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:00 pm

SimeonAssassin wrote:

As a comic book fan, I've seen so many different characters passed off as so many different heroes, it doesn't matter anymore.

The American Godzilla is very much Godzilla in my opinion.

Now that you bring in comics, you bring up a concept that comics have known for awhile: the concept of a multiverse and of different interpretations of one character. I manage to reconcile the American Godzilla's difference because I accept that there is a multiverse, and thus, a multitude of different interpretations that can exist in the Godzilla franchise. We see this with the Showa-Heisei bridge and the Shinsei series.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises,
Nothing shall forestall my return.

Like Toho Kingdom on Facebook!

Join the Facebook Toho Kingdom group!
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:28 am

Legion1979 wrote:
skuzzy-punk-kid wrote:The Japanese understand that this was the American attempt at Godzilla, but they know and have admitted that this simply isn't Godzilla. Toho's official name for this Kaiju is Zilla.

No it isn't.

The 1998 monster is copywritten as GODZILLA. The monster's name has never been officially changed. I don't own the newest home video release of GINO, but I'm pretty sure there's an icon of the monster on the back of the packaging with the name "Godzilla" on it. The issue here is that the fact that there's a monster in GFW that happens to look like the '98 Godzilla and is called "Zilla" confuses the hell out of people. These are two different monsters. Toho NEVER changed a thing. The 1998 creature is named Godzilla, like it or not.

Is this a big deal? Some say no, but I say it is when people are trying to prove that Toho "admitted" something by changing the name of the 1998 Godzilla, when in reality it never happened.

Well, I need to see official documentation stating such.
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 am

skuzzy-punk-kid wrote:So...is it in writing?

Well, I need to see official documentation stating such.

The fact that new video releases of Godzilla '98, printed years after "Zilla" appeared in Final Wars, still list the monster as "Godzilla" in the Toho copyright (both character and design) means that yes, it is in writing. Toho, a company that is fanatical about their trademarks, is still copyrighting the monster in the TriStar movie as "Godzilla", and they have been right along.

The only use of the "Zilla" character remains Final Wars.

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Legionmaster » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Legion1979 wrote:And that's because the monster seen in Final Wars isn't the monster from the Tristar film. I don't get why this is ever up for debate.

CUZ OMGZ DEY LUK DA SAEM
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Butts

Geiger Counter

PreviousNext

Return to Heisei Series (80's-98)