Godzilla Legends #5: Godzilla vs. Kumonga

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Godzilla Legends #5: Godzilla vs. Kumonga

Post by Arbok »

Use this topic to discuss the fifth and final Godzilla Legends issue, which deals with Godzilla and Kumonga.

Site review can be found here:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... nd_05.html

Seven page preview can be found here:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2012/03 ... eview.html

Personally thought this one was "okay". Didn't measure up to issues #1, #3 or #4, but a step ahead of Rodan's in this series.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla Legends #5: Godzilla vs. Kumonga

Post by UnCanny Studios »

Yeesh. Not a fan of the artwork here. Points for originality with the whole idea of "climbing Godzilla"... but the artwork is too "saturday morning cartoon" to be following the excellent issue #4.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:^ I'll play for the other team; I like the art. it has a retro, Johnny Quest or pulp-magazine vibe that I think works well with Godzilla. No, I wouldn't want to see an entire series done in this style, but a one-issue thing? Sure, I can get behind that.
I can see that. I'll be buying the issue regardless - I'm a huge fan of all the 'city destruction' matching covers. I'm going to frame all five next to each other :mrgreen: .

I'll reserve judgement until I see Kumonga in action amongst the full issue. Its going to be hard for anything to beat the story and artwork of Titano's amazing entry in #3.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Tyler wrote:I like the art. I don't think Godzilla should look like a superhero comic. Although one of the birds in the preview has a really werid Disney look on its face.

And a fanboy nitpick:
Figuring out how to draw a giant old lady with thyroid problems and the face of a dog mixed with a cat and make it look like Godzilla was a mesmerizing challenge.

Old lady?!
I wouldn't want it to look like superhero fare either, but this artwork just seems underwhelming when compared to the gorgeous, meticulous detail that was poured into issues 3 and 4. The two prior seemed like labors of love for the artists. This one just seems like it's being done for a paycheck.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The artwork is ass.

Did anyone notice a similarity between this and the one issue of Dark Horse's Godzilla where the G-force guys climb Godzilla and plant some kind of device into his ear?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Man, people are shredding the art... I thought it did a good job with the human characters, but faltered on the monsters. It's very stylized, that much is for sure.
Gyaos wrote:Did anyone notice a similarity between this and the one issue of Dark Horse's Godzilla where the G-force guys climb Godzilla and plant some kind of device into his ear?
It was noted in the site's review. The issue you are thinking of is Godzilla King of the Monsters #14.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Arbok wrote:Man, people are shredding the art... I thought it did a good job with the human characters, but faltered on the monsters. It's very stylized, that much is for sure.
Well, when it comes to comics, the art is the main important aspect that carries the reader from start to finish. The story is important as well, but story alone is more of a tour of a crafted world that its displayed around the reader. The Story is the tour, but the art is the tour guide. In the case of comics, people will greatly enjoy the tour, if the guide makes the whole thing interesting and appealing. Also, when it comes to comics, many people expect high quality or good art. A quality that makes the world and the characters of whatever particular comic impressively stand out and bare its own identity through the art itself.

Not a good analogy I know, but I'm sure you understand.

Even more so, I think after being spoiled by Legends 1# and Legends 4#, this reaction was kinda expected ya know? Hell, most of us kinda saw this coming, even you Arbok. But! I'm sure that most, will keep any true opinion at bay until the issue is released and they obtain their copy. After all, can't really form a complete opinion on something that you haven't experienced completely.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

To be honest: I love the art. I would love to see Dean Haspiel work on another Godzilla comic, based on what I've seen from the preview.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

The art is killer, I am in the "love it" crowd. Bobby Curnow made it clear that Legends is a chance to create comics that represent the wide spectrum of art and creativity that are present in the comics world today. And that is what we get here, a comic with a distinctly "indie" feel to it.

Those who are judging Haspiels work as shoddy crap out of hand are welcome to their opinion ("...everyone has one", as they say), but dismissing his work without any qualification or recognition of the basic talent on display betrays a mypoic viewpoint and perhaps a bit of immaturity. Clearly, Haspiel's stylized work will not appeal to all, but as an Emmy Award winner and Eisner Award nominee, his skill is recognized not only in the comic creators community, but also across the wider entertainment industry.

Not liking Haspiel's art style is fine--perfectly reasonable and understandable. But calling his work crap is ridiculous.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^Yes to Guy Davis. Very much so. Please?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

RaymondBurr wrote:The art is killer, I am in the "love it" crowd. Bobby Curnow made it clear that Legends is a chance to create comics that represent the wide spectrum of art and creativity that are present in the comics world today. And that is what we get here, a comic with a distinctly "indie" feel to it.

Those who are judging Haspiels work as shoddy crap out of hand are welcome to their opinion ("...everyone has one", as they say), but dismissing his work without any qualification or recognition of the basic talent on display betrays a mypoic viewpoint and perhaps a bit of immaturity. Clearly, Haspiel's stylized work will not appeal to all, but as an Emmy Award winner and Eisner Award nominee, his skill is recognized not only in the comic creators community, but also across the wider entertainment industry.

Not liking Haspiel's art style is fine--perfectly reasonable and understandable. But calling his work crap is ridiculous.
If you're going to take the time to write up such an exuding reply - you should probably single out the only person who is out of line by calling the artwork "ass". Making this thread into a drama fest would be unwise, 9 out of ten people in this topic are stating their opinions reasonably and discussing the issue. Which is what we're here for.

Lets not ruin another thread by choosing sides and throwing insults. That would, for once, be excellent.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Pic from IDW forums:
Batagor wrote:Image
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Since apparently I commited a sereous crime by saying I disliked the artwork, allow me to say why:

It just doesnt look good at all. For one, Godzilla is poorly drawn overall. Secondly, what's up with those birds? I know they're supposed to be mutants, but they look really silly. If I had to give credit to something in this comic, it's the look of the birds despite the sillyness. The one with the eyes bulging out of it's head is reminicent of Quezacoatl from Godzilla: The Series which is one of my favorite monsters from the latter show.

But yeah overall I just dont like the art.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Pic from IDW forums:
Thanks for posting this! I said I'd reserve judgement until I saw Kumonga in action, and I must say - I love the look of this panel/page.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Well, I've obtain my copy so I'm gonna give my opinion upon this issue.

This issue was pretty interesting and great, Bryson Allworth (Through the great writing and story developed by Bobby Currow) manages to grab the reader and take em on a past trip through the events that he personally experienced. During the trip, we get to know the character, witness how he experiences the destruction within Godzilla's wake, and see how his character develops himself and his view upon Godzilla. Although when the real danger comes, like in the TK review, you don't feel worried for his safety since you know he'll survive. After all he's the one telling the story. But! Although he may not have died then, the tradeoff for this unique experience wasn't within his favor. So don't count this as anything predictable, it seemed like it at first, but when you reach the end, its not.

Alright, now time for the monsters!
Godzilla is pretty much your force of nature that we all know and love, and his displays this extremely well. Kumonga, despite being the star chosen monster of this issue, he's not within the spot-light. That light is on Bryson and Godzilla alone. It's not a nit-pick detail, after all Issue 3 did the same thing to Titano. But the difference between that is that Kumonga does more, and actually fights Godzilla. And let me tell you, this monster had the instinctive battle nature that made you feel more concerned for Godzilla than Bryson. And what made this battle interesting to me was that it was mostly tooth and claw, with only one energy base attack. Overall, both monsters we're handled very well, and thank goodness Kumonga did not die!

Now for the Art.
The art as stated from others, is uneven. Human characters look great, Monsters and creatures look fair and decent.There's no balance. However, surprisingly the art does still help deliver the story. In time, you find yourself settling into the art style after a second or third read, and with that, it makes the issue feel more satisfying. It was clear that this issue was going to have a tough time impressing readers and fans(Art-wise), after being spoiled by Legends 1# and 4# it was mostly expected. None the less, the art was decently good, only slightly above Legends 2#.

In conclusion, the issue itself was a entertaining read, and a fine finish for such a great mini-series. It wasn't a overly packed bang, but it did not end with a whimper either. Everything ended in a fine finish.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Fully agree with you, Blackout.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

I think both the art and the dialogue had it's weak moments, but they carried the story well overall, it was a fun issue and the visuals conveyed that correctly, I frankly found it to be good. I need to get this collected :)

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Plot was great. Art was some of the worst I've seen in a comic, ever. BUT the story was so well done and paced that it makes the issue a must buy. Legends hits it out of the park again. My only real complaint with the story is that I have a hard time believing a new species of mutated birds could nest on Godzilla's back and become mutated. Godzilla isn't on land for that long, and he fires his ray with even less time lapsed, but that's juts an irrelevant nit pick. It's a creative idea. I'd like to see mutated fish living around Godzilla's sea-cave at the bottom of the ocean.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I thought the plot was good, the art was not the best, but I've seen worse. Issue 5 was not as epic as issue 1,3 or 4, but it was better than issue 2. Overall not much to say about, but it left me satisfied.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

My review.
http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews. ... eview.html

"With a better lead character and better art, it could have been fantastic. Still, it's an interesting story. This is one issue I can even see non-fans enjoying. It's a bit of a retrospective on Godzilla's character, it's really interesting. Plus we get a pretty fantastic fight between Godzilla and Kumonga."
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.