CGI or rubber suits?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures Godzilla franchise.

Re: CGI or rubber suits?

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Cgi & Motion-Capturing. Maybe some Stan Winston stuff.
Godzilla! Beam me Up!
...no?
Tails? Chaos Control?
DaddlerTheDalek
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Primevalgodzilla V2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:44 am

As long as it looks good I don't care.

Although preferably the same balance that Lord of the Rings uses.
I am the alienated, the ridiculed, the despised. No need to praise my name. No need to envy my body. I am the shadow under the radiance of heroic spirits. Birthed of the darkness of glorious legend. And so, I hate, I resent. Nourished by the sighs of the people precipitated within the darkness, people that curse the light.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Chief Medical Officer

Geiger Counter

Postby CatfaceFourtoes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 am

That sounds good. Weta proved that they could even computer generate and miniaturize water in Gulliver's Travels. Their animation of living things is also impressive, from the Wargs in the LOTR series to the V-Rex in King Kong '05 that looked like they could have eaten Anne Darrow at any moment. I especially liked the animation quality that allowed her to hang suspended from one's lower jaw realistically.
CatfaceFourtoes
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GodGan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm

USA think theyre the best at cgi but wait til japan does it... no racist.
Well the movie should be both. It would be epic. 8-)
Hai
GodGan
Interpol Agent

Postby ManWithNoName » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 am

CGI, suits would make this movie skreeonking dumb to non Godzilla fans, and Toho may as well just pump out another Godzilla cut-all-costs-crap-fest if an American studio does the same with way more money.
ManWithNoName
Ronin

Postby kaiju115 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 am

I'm ok with seeing a CGI Godzilla so long as its done the right way. Though if Toho decides to bring him back to Japan, definitely rubber suits, as a tradition.
Godzilla Rulers of Earth is AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy
kaiju115
G-Grasper

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, Gigan, Anguirus, Destoroyah, Titanosaurus, King Caesar, Hedorah,

Postby King Kong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 am

Gotta go with the consensus of being ok with CGI. Can't see the rubber suits going over too well in this day and age with current general audiences. Unless of course the aim is to present a film that's tounge-in-cheek. Which I sincerely hope is not the case.
King Kong
Samurai

Postby Patrick Alan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I'd rather have it being a Rubber Suit, but I already know it'll be CGI
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.
Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm

I'd rather they combine BOTH but they said it's gonna be CGI so what can you do?

Chris55 wrote:King Kong could fling his poop SO FAST, you'd think it was a beam!

Beef Bigshot wrote:I guess its used to make the kaiju look more alien and creepy to the audience. Also its like visual sex to the viewer

Janjira54 wrote:I believe this is the first time we've ever seen Godzilla having genitals. Christ, the things this site makes me say...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Demigod

Geiger Counter

Postby CatfaceFourtoes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 am

Hope for the best that the CGI is top notch, which is likely a given since the character in question is so iconic. GINO was a screw up but I think most here can agree that the CGI used in the film holds up well when compared to later films like Cloverfield and the Clash of The Titans remake.

Given that GINO was such a disappointment everywhere else, there is probably a drive to make this new Godzilla's CGI outshine the techniques used in that film.
The same goes for what Godzilla will look like. It will probably be constructed more like a living thing, with its own unique motion based abstractly off of existing animals, so It probably won't look exactly like what we all have seen before with the suits.
I hope they pattern it off of a bear. Bears have a nice half-way point in the dexterity of their limbs, not quite as much as a human, but more than the average large predator. Also, in a documentary Harou Nakajima said that he based his movements off of bears, so it would be a nice tribute. Pick Andy Serkis for the motion reference acting and I would be totally psyched about a CGI Godzilla.
CatfaceFourtoes
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Crocodile » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:07 pm

GodGan wrote:USA think theyre the best at cgi but wait til japan does it... no racist.
Well the movie should be both. It would be epic. 8-)

Japanese CGI typically isn't as good as Hollywood CGI

The difference, MONEY!
Hollywood puts a lot more money into special effects, where as Japan (Due to a smaller domestic market) is more conservative with where it's budget goes.

As for this movie
I'm hoping CGI, I want to see new stuff done here with a larger fat American budget. I want a sense of scale you just can't get with Suitmation.
I love suitmation, and I always will, but this movie is a chance to do some stuff Toho just doesn't do.
Let's not squander that trying to be exactly the same as before.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies
Crocodile
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:01 pm

I have seen some great looking CG in Japanese films. Maybe on the same level as Transformers or The Day After Tomorrow but they can make some great looking stuff. I still don't think we will see suitmation in the film and CG is the right choice to go with.
Hellspawn28
Seatopian Demigod

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:51 am

Godzilla should be CG but if they go with suitmation then that's ok
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012
Godzilla2000Zero
JXSDF Technician

Postby Godzilla1703 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

i prefer suit, but as long as he acts like him self
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26

Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.

We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)
Godzilla1703
Kingdom's Local Taro Enthusiast

Postby GodzillaXGomoraFight » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:35 pm

It will probably be in CGI like everything else in the movies lately. A new Japanese Godzilla film in the future may use suits as it tradition calls for, but technology has grown much more since 2004.
Screw Kong: Godzilla, Baragon, Gorosaurus, and Anguirus get scores by the pool everyday! http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuk ... CTURE.html
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Lord of Winterfell

Team: House Stark
Favourite Kaiju: King Ghidorah

Postby ZillaMaster91 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:49 am

The quality of CG has grown so much in the last decade that I trust that Legendary can pull of utilizing a CG Godzilla rather than a suit. Personally I would utilize motion capture - have a stunt actor perform Godzilla's movements in a studio then edit the CG design over those movements. It worked so well in Lord of the Rings, King Kong, and (despite how much I dislike this movie) Avatar. It would be awesome if they used this method for Godzilla.
ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Postby Godzillais#1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 pm

I think they should do some editing with the Final wars suit and stick with the suit.
Bill R. Kinkade
Godzillais#1
Ronin

Postby BBanzai » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Motion capture in suits, then animate. That way, we get suit movement with CGI graphics. Everyone's happy!
BBanzai
Ronin

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm

BBanzai wrote:Motion capture in suits, then animate. That way, we get suit movement with CGI graphics. Everyone's happy!

I beg to differ. Suit movement is not something I want. I prefer fluid movments to stiff ones. That's not to say it can't be done with motion capture, but there are just some things that can be done better altogether without suits.
HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby CatfaceFourtoes » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I have seen some great looking CG in Japanese films. Maybe on the same level as Transformers or The Day After Tomorrow but they can make some great looking stuff. I still don't think we will see suitmation in the film and CG is the right choice to go with.

Like the movie Returner, for instance. It has a jet plane transform into a humanoid robot that looked a lot closer to the original Starscream than the Transformers '07 movie version of Starscream did. You could see where the parts like the cockpit shifted to become different parts of the body, and you could follow the transformation animation more clearly.

Its funny that someone proposed motion capturing the suits. Seems like a strange idea, like I dunno, stop-motion animating actual size people and monster suits in lieu of miniatures.

Still, one could always build the suit and then animate a CGI model of it one would think. I still think it would be better to motion capture the movement though so it has realistic movement.
CatfaceFourtoes
Yin-Yang Master

Postby TechnoForce » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:15 pm

I would definatly like to see a suit enhanced with CGI. Id like to see it kept as traditional as possible. I am sure if special effects teams were to pour as much time, effort and budget into the suits they could make them look excellent. After all if we just switch everything over to CGI the rubber suit art isnt going to progress at all and we will never see how good they can look.
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space
TechnoForce
Yin-Yang Master

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary Series (2014-Current)