The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Star Wars

Post by o.supreme »

You know... I'm not a perv or anything, but to me the Sarlacc was one of the coolest monsters in the Star Wars Universe, until I got older and discovered female anatomy. I just cant get past that now :lol:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You're not a perv. I found the sarlac interesting, too, even with the beak. The beam makes it looke more like an animal and not just a dusty hole with tentacles.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maybe the dusty hole is the mouth of a giant underground creature? Kinda like the giant worm-thing on the asteroid in Empire Strikes Back.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

If you've seen the cut-away view of the Sarlaac, it looks more like a plant than an animal.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Gyaos wrote:If you've seen the cut-away view of the Sarlaac, it looks more like a plant than an animal.
I've seen it. I was surprised when I found out the beak was it's tongue and what the inside looks like... damn.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Maybe the dusty hole is the mouth of a giant underground creature? Kinda like the giant worm-thing on the asteroid in Empire Strikes Back.
The Sarlacc is one complex beasty. as others have eluded to:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I know exactly what book that is from, but mind you if it had been published before '97, there likely would have been no "beak" at all.

Many Star Wars encyclopedia's were changed once the SE's were released. Even more were re-issued when once the prequels were out. I'm glad I have my original "Star Wars Guide to Characters" from the early 90's with Boba Fett's original backstory, among many other stories that have since gone the way of the dinosaur in newer editions. These stories have simply disappeared once the prequels ret-conned some of this stuff.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Hold onto those books Goji. Star Wars ficiton is ever changing, good to remember things the way they were. Wasn't Boba Fetts (pre Episode II) original name Jaster Mereel, or something like that? Now I see that is a name given to a completely different character.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Indeed it was, Jaster Mareel! Being such a big Boba fan growing up, I knew his whole backstory. So when EPISODE II was released, I a little confused initially. I avoided reading about any possile spoilers prior to the prequels coming out (meaning I didn't read Star Wars Insider for yeaaaars), though somewhere along the line I heard that Boba Fett would be in the film in one way or another. I still feel that it was shoe-horned-in fan service at it's finest, much like the green-screened Boba Fett walking past the camera in the Jabba scene that was re-inserted into STAR WARS, in '97.

I don't know much about the EU stuff that was done once the prequels were out, but back in the day, the Mandalorian Warriors had this whole back story, and were originally an entire army that were featured in the Clone Wars. As exciting as it was seeing it for the first time, this made my first viewing of EPISODE II a little hard to swallow, at least story-wise. (The "clones" are now a bunch of guys that are precursors to Stormtroopers, who were cloned after ONE guy featuring Mandalorian armor? Okay, sure, why not.)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

The Mandalorians are still there, they just didn't pop up in the film. The Clone Wars series has used the warriors as a rebellion/terrorist group that stands against Mandalore's official policy of neutrality. They still fly around with their fancy armor and Old Republic black lightsabers and whatnot.
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Niiiice. I've been putting off watching the CG "Clone Wars" series for several years now. I should probably get on that.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:Niiiice. I've been putting off watching the CG "Clone Wars" series for several years now. I should probably get on that.
I'd watch it. It has its ups and downs, but overall it's ok. I don't know if you watched the Clone Wars movie, but they've thankfully curtailed the annoying nicknames as the series has gone on.

I'd try not to worry too much about canon when watching it either; it's really hard to follow. Even within the series, they jump around in the storyline a lot. Just enjoy it for what it is and it's fine.
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yes, I did see the movie, and found it terribly underwhelming..it's probably why I stayed away from the show for a while. Honestly one of the reasons I haven't started watching it is that I have no way to catch up with the series unless I buy those expensive DVD sets, or Netflix them one at a time. Does anyone know if Hulu Plus it available to watch?

I'm glad the Mandalorian's weren't completely replaced. I had hoped that Lucas wasn't silly enough to just drop them completely.

*edit* Nevermind...looks like Hulu doesn't have anything SW available. Figures.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I watch the series pretty regular. As Legionmaster said it has its ups & downs (Zillo Beast 2-part was fun) :) Also the first 3 seasons have episodes are not all in chronological order, season 4 seems to be more linear from what I've read. I wonder when its all over if someone will list all the CW episodes in Chronological order. It would be nice to have a definitive timeline.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I've just googled episode titles and found them online places. Sometimes you have to wait mid-episode to let sites allow your IP to watch more, but sometimes thats what it takes to steal television.
bleep bloop

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The first season of Clone Wars was pretty bad - too many Anakin-Ashoka-Obiwan episodes. Ashoka ruins the character dynamic there; she's tolerable when she's just with Anakin, but when with both of them, the repetition is quite annoying. There was also a ton of Battle Droid humor, which got old, fast, especially since unlike Jar-Jar, who's a sentient being, Battle Droids are robots, so the idea of them making unintentionally smartass remarks and such is nonsensical unless programmed as such.

I don't think I saw any of Season 2, not even the Zillo Beast arc, but Seasons 3 and 4, excluding a few choice moments (the Mortis trilogy, Even Piell's last scene, Anakin's angst when Ashoka disappears) have generally been big improvements. The overall Nightsisters arc between both seasons in particular, even if it has some weak dialogue, has a great over-arching story going on, even if the Bounty one made me facepalm for most of it's ending.

Also, I think the series works very strongly when they involve non-traditional elements. Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Darth Maul have been treated rather respectfully, and Even Piell was doing quite well until he received quite a lame death.

I hate to say it though, I do look forward to Ashoka and Rex's "deaths". Considering they wrote out Piell to explain his pseudo-absence in ROTS, I'm quite sure they'll kill them both off. James Arnold Taylor, Obi-Wan's voice actor, even hinted towards Ashoka's death.

Of course, they might be cheap and let her survive Order 66 somehow.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JVM wrote:The first season of Clone Wars was pretty bad - too many Anakin-Ashoka-Obiwan episodes. Ashoka ruins the character dynamic there; she's tolerable when she's just with Anakin, but when with both of them, the repetition is quite annoying. There was also a ton of Battle Droid humor, which got old, fast, especially since unlike Jar-Jar, who's a sentient being, Battle Droids are robots, so the idea of them making unintentionally smartass remarks and such is nonsensical unless programmed as such.

I don't think I saw any of Season 2, not even the Zillo Beast arc, but Seasons 3 and 4, excluding a few choice moments (the Mortis trilogy, Even Piell's last scene, Anakin's angst when Ashoka disappears) have generally been big improvements. The overall Nightsisters arc between both seasons in particular, even if it has some weak dialogue, has a great over-arching story going on, even if the Bounty one made me facepalm for most of it's ending.

Also, I think the series works very strongly when they involve non-traditional elements. Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Darth Maul have been treated rather respectfully, and Even Piell was doing quite well until he received quite a lame death.

I hate to say it though, I do look forward to Ashoka and Rex's "deaths". Considering they wrote out Piell to explain his pseudo-absence in ROTS, I'm quite sure they'll kill them both off. James Arnold Taylor, Obi-Wan's voice actor, even hinted towards Ashoka's death.

Of course, they might be cheap and let her survive Order 66 somehow.
Wait when did they say Rex dies I thought he was in order 66?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Mothra Freak wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Wait when did they say Rex dies I thought he was in order 66?
That's Cody.
Wait, you mean a modern Star Wars character has been named something other than a bad Bantu sounding name?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mothra Freak wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Wait when did they say Rex dies I thought he was in order 66?
That's Cody.
No I mean I thought he was with Anakin on the march of the jedi temple.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

JVM wrote:Of course, they might be cheap and let her survive Order 66 somehow.
That's what I'm thinking. I think because she is a creation of The Clone Wars series, she should die when it ends, but I'm thinking they wont have the guts to do it. But then again, you never know.