Military Speculation (nationality, battles, masers, Super-X)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Re: Nuke him

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

I thought he got it off because to use the AZC kiryu would have let go so his arms wouldn't be in the way which is when the ray would've been fired.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

They nuked the 'Cloverfield' monster...................

'Hammer Down', anyone???

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

I thought the end of Cloverfield was that they nuked him off camera? No?

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

GodzillaIsCool wrote:I thought the end of Cloverfield was that they nuked him off camera? No?
If they nuked something that close to the camera

The Camera is vaporized and there is no movie

It was probably a MOAB
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Oh ya. The camera would of been smoked. Touche my friend.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Plus the gamma radiation would destroy the film if the sheer incindiary properties of the bomb dont.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

Ford should change their slogan to "built Godzilla tough: survives black holes, absolute zero, enormous flaming rocks falling on directly on skull, and God knows whatelse"
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Living Corpse wrote:Truth be told I'm still confused as to what happened. It's not as bad as the sloppy explanation of the time travel in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah but still...
You mean the stickied one in the Heisei forum? Doesn't seem sloppy to me.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Well the writing, sure. But I was talking about the explanation.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

He'd probably eat it!
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Godzillais#1
Ronin

Post by Godzillais#1 »

I think they should nuke him, without knowing it would make him bigger and stronger, then beat the crap out of his enemy EVEN MORE
Bill R. Kinkade

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Wait, that sounds like his opponent is there as well. You think BOTH monsters could survive that?!

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Godzilla would rape the nuke....

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Patrick Alan wrote:Godzilla would rape the nuke....
I dunno if you're trying to be funny or if you legitimately think Godzilla could survive a nuke. Unfortunately, the raw heat, concussive force, and energy would absolutely obliterate Godzilla into nothingness. That goes without mentioning the political ramifications of such a weapon.

But regardless of that, if the film uses an atomic bomb and Godzilla survives, they will instantly destroy any dramatic tension. They've used the ultimate weapon that humanity, in a reasonably grounded and modern setting, is capable of developing. All it will result in is a scene for Fantasy Match obsessed fanboys to drool and squeal over and something that is nothing but shallow machismo posturing.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Surprised so many people think Godzilla could survive a nuke, hell I've only ever seen one "Survive a nuke scene" that was any good. And that was Superman's survival in Kingdom Come.

Honestly if they hit Godzilla with so much as tactical nuke, it'd probably spoil the movie for most viewers.
Let alone the strategic nukes they would probably use if they were to write this movie (More recognizable)
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Okay, I gotta be honest here. How would Godzila surviving a nuke ruin the movie? I don't really understand.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Okay, I gotta be honest here. How would Godzila surviving a nuke ruin the movie? I don't really understand.
It's dumb

That's the problem with most of this Black Hole, Meteorite, blah, blah, blah, blah. It's dumb, and not the good kinda dumb the bad kind.

Godzilla surviving a nuke takes him from powerful, to "lolfuck physics" strong. It's just really, really dumb. The idea that a living creature could survive what essentially destroys things on the molecular level, it's crap. It's lazy writing, and fan-wanky "look how strong I am" crap for fantasy match nerds.

If you want to show Godzilla is strong have him take Air missiles out a F-22, the shells of an Abrams Tank, etc. Throw standard stuff at him, and work you're way up to larger more powerful Ballasitic non-nuclear missiles (Which I would like to see, ya know actually hurt him) or even a MOAB
It's lazy writing to throw the the strongest weapon out, and "uh lol, out of options rofl. He wins!" Especially ya know when a Tomahawk missile can carry the blast of nearly 10 Nagasakis, and a Sea Wolf class sub can carry up to 50.

And even then those are still just Kiloton warheads, MEGATON warheads are even more powerful. It'd just be lazy, bad writing.

I've only ever seen one good, surviving of nuke. That was Superman in Kingdom Come, and it only worked because he was left alone.

Nukes should kill him, plain and simple. Especially the Strategic Long Range missiles, everyone thinks of when they think nukes.

He was mutated from fallout, not from standing at Ground Zero.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

TokyoVigilante wrote:But regardless of that, if the film uses an atomic bomb and Godzilla survives, they will instantly destroy any dramatic tension. They've used the ultimate weapon that humanity, in a reasonably grounded and modern setting, is capable of developing. All it will result in is a scene for Fantasy Match obsessed fanboys to drool and squeal over and something that is nothing but shallow machismo posturing.
Nobody has complained about the various monsters from '50s B-movies surviving nuclear strikes and various modern weapons. When the world's greatest weapon is proven useless against a threatening creature, it increases dramatic tension.

Take The War of the Worlds for instance. The bomb is used as a last resort, and is shrugged by the martian war machines. This is a great way to start the film's third act, we truly believe humanity has lost the war, making the last minute salvation by germs more rewarding.

The Giant Claw, flawed as it is, makes a good use of the "monster vs. bomb" angle. The creature's invulnerabilty forces the characters to come up with a cleverly written plot device, they have to actually do things.

None of this matters as I woulnd't want Godzilla to be a villain, but seeing an older than dirt plot device as "childish, fanwaking" misses the point completely.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

They could fire the nuke, and it anhilates everything, buildings collapse and such, then after the smoke clears, Godzilla is no where to be seen, but they notice that the radiation is myteriously being absorbed by something, then Godzilla rises out of the rubble, he's all burned up, still ok, but very tired, after absorbing all the radiation from the nuke he slips back into the ocean to rest. You could leave it at that for a sequal, or after he slips back into the water, they hunt him down and finally do him in with the Oxygen Destroyer.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

Ethan wrote:
The Giant Claw, flawed as it is...
What are you talking about?!