Madman DVDs

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Madman DVDs

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I got my Madman of Godzilla vs. Megalon a month or so ago and it's almost a cruel irony that it's the best DVD I own (as far as video quality goes). Is this consistent with their releases? I'm very tempted to just ditch all of my Sony DVDs for Hedorah-Mechagodzilla and just getting the Boxset with those movies. Probably for the nineties films also at some point.

Discuss!
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Madman DVDs

Post by Rockzilla »

I have the heisei box set from them and the video quality is great. It actually looks just as good as those HD TV rips I got from demonoid. Granted the HD rips were compressed, but still the Madman DVDs are superb in video quality.

I'm not sure how the other DVDs hold up, so I can't vouch for those.

Theoretically everything from Madman should look better than our region 1 dvds since PAL is a higher resolution format than NTSC.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I have their Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, and Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S DVDs, as well as their Godzilla Showa Classics Vol. 2 and Heisei Godzilla Set. The quality is great for the DVDs and they do use a similar print from the Toho DVDs (Except Megaguirus, which is the International print found on the Sony DVD but it still has good quality), so the overall video and audio quality is great. I'd definitely recommended getting these if you don't want Sony's DVDs or ADV's DAM release (And I strongly recommend the latter). They're worth the money.

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

I know this post is a year old but I did start getting my Madman Showa box sets and I am pleasantly surprised by the overall picture quality....I haven't seen Godzilla VS The Sea Monster in years..(actually had forgotten about it)..brought back a flood of memories

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Does anyone know how the picture quality of these DVDs compare to their R1 counterparts (particularly Sony's excellent Showa releases?)?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

These all use bland R2 transfers..meaning they don't look nearly as nice as the Sony DVD's. They also feature the exact same subs as those releases. There isn't really any point in owning them.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Showa releases are completely pointless for anyone that already has all the R1's. The Heisei set on the other hand, is worth getting.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Rockzilla wrote:Theoretically everything from Madman should look better than our region 1 dvds since PAL is a higher resolution format than NTSC.
They are upscales of Toho Video's mediocre NTSC versions, so no.
TokyoVigilante wrote:I got my Madman of Godzilla vs. Megalon a month or so ago and it's almost a cruel irony that it's the best DVD I own (as far as video quality goes).
No kidding?
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

If people want to see the Japanese title screens/credits of Showa films (that Sony released) that badly, then sure. It's definitely a more attractive option compared to an expensive R2 with no subs..but I just can't recommend the Showa releases to people that already own the R1's.

TheXFilter
Ronin

Post by TheXFilter »

I'm thinkink on buy the first pack of madman Showa. Can anyone upload some screencaps, from, for example, Godzilla vs Mothra (1964)?

Thanks

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

As stated earlier, they use the same transfers as the Japanese R2 DVD's.

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

TheXFilter wrote:I'm thinkink on buy the first pack of madman Showa. Can anyone upload some screencaps, from, for example, Godzilla vs Mothra (1964)?

Thanks
I can upload some caps for you later today

TheXFilter
Ronin

Post by TheXFilter »

Perfect!! Thanks a lot!!

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

Here is some screen captures from Godzilla VS Mothra...these are from the Madman dvd's

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Looks exactly like the Toho transfer that has monopolized the market.

Emperor5353
Monsterland Worker

Post by Emperor5353 »

I am extremely pleased with the picture quality of these dvds
I have the Showa Vol 2 coming this week....

Rockzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Rockzilla »

Tamura wrote:
Rockzilla wrote:Theoretically everything from Madman should look better than our region 1 dvds since PAL is a higher resolution format than NTSC.
They are upscales of Toho Video's mediocre NTSC versions, so no.

I was unaware that Madman used Toho's transfers for the Showa films since I don't have any of those. I figured they used them for the heisei series, but they still look better than those compressed "hd" rips floating around. Although I think for some reason the Heisei peroid films will never look as clean as the Showa or Millenium films.

TheXFilter
Ronin

Post by TheXFilter »

Thanks Emperor5353 for the captures!! looks great!

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

Emperor5353 wrote:Here is some screen captures from Godzilla VS Mothra...these are from the Madman dvd's
It's also important to note that, as evident from the subs, those are only from the Japanese version. I believe the US version on Madman's release was fullscreen only, so hopefully no one buys it assuming the US version is widescreen. I think this is also the case with their release of INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Wow, so even Madman's release of GODZILLA VS. THE THING isn't in the proper AR? I guess in this case (along with MONSTER ZERO), they were too lazy to even do recreations like what CM did.

I'm surprised by the amount of enthusiasm here. Those screen caps look pretty damn lackluster...just like Toho's R2's in general.