Talkback: Latitude Zero (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Monsterzero 1965
Monarch Researcher

Re: Latitude Zero (1969)

Post by Monsterzero 1965 »

The Dark Uniter wrote:
seanerry wrote:The pacing in the movie is off. The fast-paced action in the beginning and end are counter-balanced by the dull scenes in Latitude Zero. The optical bat work looks idiotic and the Matte paintings are fantastic.
There's like 3 versions of the film, I believe. 2 of them of course is in the Media Blasters set which is the original International version (109 mins) and the Japanese cut (85 mins). However, I've heard that Japan's release has a 3rd version that is 69 mins.
Don't forget the US version which runs 99 minutes.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

Kinda curious. For the 99 min. cut, did it received its own title cards or used the ones from the International print?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Does anyone have a copy of the US version? I'm one of the <6 people on here who would be interested in seeing its credits.

Baradagi
Yojimbo

Post by Baradagi »

Tamura wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the US version? I'm one of the <6 people on here who would be interested in seeing its credits.
I have a copy... IIRC the credits are the same as what was on the Media Blasters disc. There might have been a MPAA certificate, I don't recall.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

That's not surprising. Was there a National General logo?

Baradagi
Yojimbo

Post by Baradagi »

Tamura wrote:That's not surprising. Was there a National General logo?
Yes, after the MPAA certificate. At the very end it says "Released by NATIONAL GENERAL PICTURES".

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Tamura wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the US version? I'm one of the <6 people on here who would be interested in seeing its credits.
I do. You can usually pick it up cheap for 12-15 bucks but I noticed Target's site doesn't seem to have it anymore and it's backordered on Best Buy's site. Maybe supplies are drying up. I'd try to get it, great film from this era and if you're a Toho Showa fan it's a must! :D
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I have never watched this movie, actually besides Godzilla, i have not seen many Toho movies
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

You should see the other Toho flicks outside of Godzilla. Toho was on top of their game during the 50's and 60's and produced many classics.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Alright i will defiantly do that. But where exactly can find them? I pretty much cant find any of the showa or majority of the heisei Godzilla movies at any store
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

The best place to get them IMO is Amazon. The Media Blasters discs are pretty hard to beat, which is who this movie is released through, as I'm sure you know.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Alright, thanks lol defiantly start looking into that

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Latitude Zero

Post by thatsoundman »

How many of you have ever heard of this? And out of the ones that have heard of it, have ever seen it?

it came out in 1969, and is one of my cherished films in my collection, it stars Joseph Cotton, and Caesar Romero and a few other english actors along with a who's, who of toho regulars. and was directed mr honda, effects by tsubariah. (sorry about the spelling)

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Latitude Zero

Post by thatsoundman »

this is one of the few films that was done during this time frame where the japanese actors,(except one, the pilot of the one ship), speak their own lines in english...
I have seen this film several times and always enjoy it.

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

I've had it on DVD for awhile but have yet to watch it. I'm currently on a Toho kaiju/scifi binge so I should get to it in the next few weeks

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

thatsoundman wrote:this is one of the few films that was done during this time frame where the japanese actors,(except one, the pilot of the one ship), speak their own lines in english...
There was no "time frame" when that happened. This was the only Toho SPX film to have (basically) all of it's Japanese actors speaking in English.
Last edited by Goji on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

You can buy Latitude Zero on DVD online if you want (and are a region one customer). It's $12.99 on Target's site, for example. I am a fan of Latitude Zero. It's a ton of fun, intelligent at parts, but really just a movie for someone who wants to sit back and be entertained by this era of science fiction that isn't afraid to be over the top at times.
Goji wrote: That was no "time frame" when that happened. This was the only Toho SPX film to have (basically) all of it's Japanese actors speaking in English.
Thank you. There was no time period at all when Toho films were shot originally in English dialogue.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

anguirusrules356
Yojimbo

Post by anguirusrules356 »

ive never seen this movie.

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

anguirusrules356 wrote:ive never seen this movie.
this movie is great to add to anyone's collection for sci fi or anything that has come out of japan, as i said i enjoy it everytime i watch it.

CommanderJoe
GPN Volunteer

Post by CommanderJoe »

Its a ok picture. Linda Haynes is certainly lovely to look at :huge: and its cool to see Takarada-san speaking English. Its definitely a throwback to the 30's. Richard Jaeckel is also excellent as always.