Military Speculation (nationality, battles, masers, Super-X)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Nuke him

Post by HayesAJones »

Why not equate Godzilla WITH the numerous affects of the bomb? Like in Godzilla Returns. Sure, Godzilla causes a lot of physical destruction, but the political, social, and economic shock waves of his reappearance are probably even worse. I would like to see every area Godzilla could affect explored, see a realistic result of an implausible event. I want to see a full view of how a giant monster wandering from the sea and leveling a city would affect the real world. It could be reasoned in the film that a nuke should be used because Godzilla is just as bad, if not worse. If you guys are gonna bring in all the consequences of a nuclear bomb, think about the ones Godzilla himself would bring too.

Just my thoughts/attempt to sound smart.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Why are so many people saying Godzilla would die from it? I know it's not possible thing for anything in real life. But this is Fiction and a monster that feeds on nuclear radiation and does all kinds of completely unrealistic things all the time. Being a fictional character they can have him survive what ever the hell the people making the movie or comic or game want. But I will say, like others, Why would they drop a nuke on him? I'd do more harm than good just read TokyoVigilante's post

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

When we're presented with an Earthly and contemporary film setting, we have no reason but to assume that the laws and status quo also applies to this, unless the film lets us know up front otherwise. It's the reason why Japan nuking Godzilla in Kingdom of Monsters is so damn off-putting. We read the story assuming that this world is exactly like ours (sans the monsters), then BOOM; a country that isn't allowed to have a standing army and is one of the biggest proponents of nuclear disarmament just chucks one wily-nily. You've thrown your audience a curve-ball; this isn't our world anymore, this is a world with a completely different history and set of political dynamics that aren't even remotely explained or anything like ours. If Eric Powell wanted to tell an "Alternate History" story of a militaristic Imperial Japan fighting monsters or something (and fuck that would be cool), that is one thing, but since that clearly wasn't his intention we have no reason but to assume it's just bad writing.

It still wouldn't be as weak as the whole blackhole gun shinanigans because that is from an universe of established science-fiction-y goodness.

A nuclear weapon that Godzilla just "shrugs off" is, quite frankly, just juvenile macho-posturing. It's like Batman shrugging off getting shot in the mouth because Batman "is such a fucking badass". If there is ever an incarnation of Godzilla then can shrug off an Atom Bomb, then you've basically killed your tension because there isn't anything that can hurt him. Period. I know Godzilla is "invincible" and all that jazz, but even uber-tanks like Heisei Godzilla are stalled and roar when he's hit with a laser beam (also bleeds quite regularly).

If a nuclear weapon is brought into a Godzilla film, it had better damn well be the whole point of the film. It had better be the climax and it had better kill him fucking dead. But at that point, we aren't discussing "just nuking Godzilla", we're talking about entire story ideas.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

They use on in KOM.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I'm referring to how they use one in Kingdom of Monsters and how it makes no sense in the contemporary setting. If this film had the United States (or anyone) shooting a nuke at Godzilla as a casual reaction to his presence for no other reason for Godzilla to rise up and look like a BAMF and make fanboys drool, with no consideration of the cause-effect of using one, it degrades the writing considerably and undermines the actual gravity and magnitude of using a Nuclear weapon.

In a contemporary film, we assume that Police will act like real Police, that traffic is the same as regular traffic, and that the city of Toronto is the same as the real Toronto. If you start fucking around without explaining in the film (IE; ultra-violent battle cops because they're privatized, etc.) why things are fucked around, and your justification is that "Hey! it's a movie, it's not real! Real shit doesn't apply!" then you put the suspension of disbelief of your audience in an awkward position.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

in some of the plots being explored here, there is a pattern showing up,
1 is what would happen if godzilla was nuked- that is the one i want to address, and this has been explored already....
in the 1991 version of the godzilla films, humans from the future go back in time and move godzilla to a remote part of the ocean so that he will not be bombarded with radiation. but where they move him to is a dumping ground for nuclear waste, so, not only does he still become godzilla, but he is bigger too. -- i am leaving out a lot so that the ones that have not seen this movie will enjoy it more.. (it is worth watching)

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

in both versions of godzilla 1985 and 1984, the prime minister tells both the reps from us and russia that japan has a firm policy on nukes, that being that they will not build, deploy, or use nukes for any reason... in spite of that the russians launch one anyway and it revives godzilla.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

thatsoundman wrote:in both versions of godzilla 1985 and 1984, the prime minister tells both the reps from us and russia that japan has a firm policy on nukes, that being that they will not build, deploy, or use nukes for any reason... in spite of that the russians launch one anyway and it revives godzilla.
No, it's launched by accident. Godzilla damages the launch computer in the Tokyo Bay when he first lands.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Living Corpse wrote:He probably only saw the messed up U.S. version. Hell I haven't even seen the Japanese version.
The only difference is that the Officer on the ship launches the missile on account of him being a crazy communist. But in both versions it is still treated as an accident.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

King Ghidorah? Well, I could see HIM surviving a nuke for sure. He did after all, wipe out civilizations far more advanced then ours, and obviously survived their far more advanced weapons.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Have them try dropping a nuke on Ghidorah once he's defeated Godzilla, have Ghidorah blow it up midair, then radiation-absorption and ass-kickery time for Godzilla!

Assuming they use King Ghidorah, which I'm against for the first film.

CookieMonster
Yojimbo

Post by CookieMonster »

Tyler wrote:Monsters took place in a world where giant squid monsters were just an every day thing so I wonder if that'll rub off on Godzilla.
U.S. sees Godzilla
"oh, there's Godzilla, wanna nuke him again?"
"yea go ah- you know what? We've nuked him all week, let's give him a break today."

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

Living Corpse wrote:He probably only saw the messed up U.S. version. Hell I haven't even seen the Japanese version.
Actually, i have both and watched them back to back to make note of all the differences

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

All I have is the japanese version of Godzilla 1984.
Wouldn't nuking Godzilla make him stronger though?
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Living Corpse wrote:
Depends where he is during the blast.

Not near ground zero he would take some damage and survive, absorb the energy and get stronger.

Standing right in the heart of it and he's dead, vaporized.

ROG pretty much showed what happens when he isn't in the heart of the explosion, because the nuke was set off way high in the sky and the fallout brought him back for round 2 with Super X. It's pretty much how a Godzilla is made too, as long as there not in the heart of the explosion but somewhere that's distant enough to not be killed by the explosion and still close enough for the wind to carry fallout to them and it mutates a dinosaur and bam! Godzilla.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up mate.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Living Corpse wrote:Standing right in the heart of it and he's dead, vaporized.
Who says? Like I said before he is a fictional character, and toho has had him survive some other stupid shit :P

CookieMonster
Yojimbo

Post by CookieMonster »

Living Corpse wrote:And promptly get criticized for it.

Surviving a black hole? Seriously?
Lol! I've always wondered about black holes, in reality no one knows what's on the other side, when we go through, do we come out alive or dead? I guess no one will know until someone goes through one, but then again, us being on the other side would never know what happened to that person.
But if I remember right, Godzilla just more or less escaped ever entering the black hole?

Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

He also used his breath weapon when the AZC fired, heating it up further. Water also has a high specific heat, so it is highly resistant to temp changes.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

CookieMonster
Yojimbo

Post by CookieMonster »

Living Corpse wrote:Yeah I know right, and let's not forget the Absolute Zero but that can be explained with the ocean spreading the effect and making it less concentrated. :lol:

There's still some confusion on that. I've heard theories that because it's a pseudo black hole and not a true one it doesn't act 100% like one. I've heard theories it pushed him in the ground (black holes have ungodly mass for their size) because it's gravity wasn't strong enough to actually suck him up and crush him and I've even heard one where it just sends him a short time in the future.

Truth be told I'm still confused as to what happened. It's not as bad as the sloppy explanation of the time travel in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah but still...
Lol! Sometimes.. man.. Godzilla just... sometimes man... lol, Just blows my mind.
I know the plots are highly ludicrous anyway (We're talking about a giant dinosaur who is impervious to weapons for the most part), and what with all you stated above, all the confusion, one probably couldn't have an explanation for everything in the movies anyway, but I cant help but wonder if Toho was an American/English speaking company would a lot of this be explained better? For starters, things wouldn't get lost in translation, and people could more readily ask questions. But then again plenty of American movies have gaping plot holes and misunderstandings that have never even been attempted to be explained by their makers, who speak the exact same language as us.
But I mean someone (at Toho, scriptwriters, directors, creative directors, etc.) has to have some kind of canonical explanation for how Godzilla survived the Black Hole (other than just to look cool), an exact timeline for Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, the Absolute Zero Cannon, etc., Right?

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Godzillaprime05 wrote:He also used his breath weapon when the AZC fired, heating it up further. Water also has a high specific heat, so it is highly resistant to temp changes.

My brian is so full of WHAT right now.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies